Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #76
mfowler76
Speculative Fictioneer

mfowler76 is on a distinguished road
Welcome, GCU! Stop by Write1Sub1 for your official badge.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #77
Pemako
practical experience, FTW

Pemako is on a distinguished road
I hope it's not too late to join! I really need some motivation. I was hoping that Nanowrimo would get me working, but I'm only at 12,532 words - sigh - and losing speed. Thanks.
Pemako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #78
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
It's never too late. Welcome aboard!
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #79
Pemako

Pemako is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Alex! Yep, I really need some kind of community. I just realized - duh - thanks to AW - that Weird Tales was not just on vacation, and that I was never ever going to hear anything back on my story that had been there for 96 days. Grrr. And also just realized, thanks to the Rejectomancy thread, that it was an even worse idea than I thought, subbing something to Analog (they don't want 'downbeat endings'. Boy, did I ever choose the wrong story to send to them!). So I will be very very grateful to get the benefit of everybody else's experience.
Pemako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #80
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome aboard, Pemako! Feel free to jump into any of the threads here in the forum. We've also got a novel challenge going too, which might help with your novel motivation.

Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #81
mfowler76
Speculative Fictioneer

Great to have you join the throng, Pemako -- stop by Write1Sub1 for your official badge. =]
Old 11-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #82
mfowler76
Speculative Fictioneer

Countdown initiated . . . Write1Sub1!

Old 11-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #83
Opinionated Ant
I walk into things

Opinionated Ant is on a distinguished road
The G+ page looks really good!
Opinionated Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #84
mfowler76
Speculative Fictioneer

Thanks to Stephanie -- she's our resident G+ guru. =]

We're going full-steam ahead into 2012: Write1Sub1 RELOADED!

Old 06-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #85
Siren of Triton
figuring it all out

Siren of Triton is on a distinguished road
Is there any word minimum?
I'm trying to learn how to write for younger audiences, and therefore trying to see what I can do with only a few hundred or a thousand words.
Siren of Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #86
sammyjwebb

sammyjwebb is on a distinguished road
Welcome Siren!

No word count limits or goals. It's all about writing, polishing, and submitting. We've got short stories and noveling going on around these parts.

Blog Twitter

sammyjwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #87
Eliza C
We’ll see what happens from here…

Eliza C is a shiny, shiny jewelEliza C is a shiny, shiny jewel
Kudos to all who try this!
I write novels as well as short stories so would have a hard time goal-setting for this, but I'm a big believer in writers subbing what they write. My short stories stay in pretty constant circulation - if I get rejected, I re-read the story (helps to see it fresh if it's been gone for awhile), revise if I think it needs work, and send it right back out again. I currently have 6 different stories out at 8 markets. It's a win-win - some of my stories have found homes and I definitely find that the more I write, the more ideas I get for new stories.
Eliza C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #88
Meme chose
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Meme chose is on a distinguished road
Are stories submitted here

Hi: I like this idea of Write 1 Sub 1, but do writers submit their work here, in this forum as well? For feedback?

I'm new here, so if the answer to this is posted elsewhere in AW, my apologies.

MC
Meme chose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #89
zanzjan
always tomorrow-bound
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome to AW and W1/S1, MC and ElizaC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme chose View Post
Hi: I like this idea of Write 1 Sub 1, but do writers submit their work here, in this forum as well? For feedback?

I'm new here, so if the answer to this is posted elsewhere in AW, my apologies.
No worries

W1/S1 is for people who want to set themselves a goal of writing and subbing stories on some regular basis, and find it easier to meet goals when other folks are doing it too. Some folks try to write/sub one story a week, or one a month, and some of us are (theoretically, anyhow) working on novels which'd really be one/year. But as with so much in writing, it helps not to be alone, and this is a great group of people w/ a heck of a lot of talent and drive.

People don't sub stuff here, although I think some of the established members who've gotten to know each other pretty well beta stuff back and forth. If you want feedback on work, there's the SYW forum, but you'll have to reach 50 posts before you can post your own work there. In the meantime, it's a good idea to go there and do some critiquing for what's already posted, make yourself part of the community. No reason you can't hang out both here and there.

So what sorts of things are you writing? Do you have goals already set for yourself? Pull up a virtual chair and make yourself at home.

2014: Fly Away Home, Interzone #251, March; House Party Blues, Black Static #39, March; Shatterdown, Asimov's, June (podcast here!)

A PROMPT A DAY! The Countdown to 2015 Calendar: Writing Lab --> Writing Exercises --> Flash Fiction Challenge. Open to all!
zanzjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #90
Eliza C
We’ll see what happens from here…

Eliza C is a shiny, shiny jewelEliza C is a shiny, shiny jewel
Thanks. I can't believe I've been a member of AW for so long (nearly 2 years) and have used this site so little. Still definitely a newbie. Now that I'm really exploring around here, I wish I'd been more active long ago.
Eliza C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #91
joetab24
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

joetab24 is on a distinguished road
Is there a non fiction write 1 submit 1? Or, if not, is there anyone willing to participate in one?
joetab24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #92
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab24 View Post
Is there a non fiction write 1 submit 1? Or, if not, is there anyone willing to participate in one?
Hi joetab24 There isn't specifically a non-fiction write 1 sub 1, but if you want to adapt the challenge to fit how you write, then go for it!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #93
zanzjan
always tomorrow-bound
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
There isn't specifically a non-fiction write 1 sub 1, but if you want to adapt the challenge to fit how you write, then go for it!
This. There is one as soon as you decide to do it.

2014: Fly Away Home, Interzone #251, March; House Party Blues, Black Static #39, March; Shatterdown, Asimov's, June (podcast here!)

A PROMPT A DAY! The Countdown to 2015 Calendar: Writing Lab --> Writing Exercises --> Flash Fiction Challenge. Open to all!
zanzjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #94
CaPooF

CaPooF is a shiny, shiny jewelCaPooF is a shiny, shiny jewel
I'm currently working on a novel, but I think I'll try to do one short a month as well. Not sure if it'll work, but I like the idea of getting stories out there regularly, and it will look good if I have some more published stories when I send the novel out. Thanks for the kick in the pants!
CaPooF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #95
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Awesome stuff, C.P. Welcome to W1S1
Old 08-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #96
CaPooF

CaPooF is a shiny, shiny jewelCaPooF is a shiny, shiny jewel
Thanks, Izz!
CaPooF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #97
Receding Waters
How much for a cheeseburger?

Receding Waters is on a distinguished road
I just checked out W1S1 this morning. This sounds great (like all of you already know!). It's harder for me to write smaller pieces, but I'm working on the edits to a fourth MS. I'd like to submit it to a reputable E-publisher within the next, oh, two months. Maybe I can tailor my own W1S1 to mean "Submit something every three months." I have material I can do that with, at least for the foreseeable future...Maybe that's what'll do. I always need the motivation, anyway.

The world is round; it has no point.--Adrienne E. Gusoff

Man is ready to die for an idea, provided that idea is not quite clear to him. --Paul Eldridge
Receding Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #98
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Sounds like a plan, Receding Waters! Welcome to W1S1

You might've already seen it, but we also have a Novel Challenge going, which works on a similar premise to the short fiction challenge. Aim to write, polish, submit within a certain amount of time.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #99
Receding Waters
How much for a cheeseburger?

Receding Waters is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Izz. I'll check it out. Might be more my pace.

The world is round; it has no point.--Adrienne E. Gusoff

Man is ready to die for an idea, provided that idea is not quite clear to him. --Paul Eldridge
Receding Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #100
michael_b
So many ideas, never enough time.

michael_b is a shiny, shiny jewelmichael_b is a shiny, shiny jewel
Okay, I should have posted this stuff before now, but here's what's going on for me right now.

I sent 3 stories out between 10/8 and 10/21.

Received a revise and resubmit on the 10/8 submission on 10/25. Did the revision 10/26. Received an offer 10/27.

Still waiting to hear on the other two submissions.
I do NaNoWriMo

**An All Romance eBooks Bestseller**
Order-The Prince He Loved
Print
Ebook

Temporarily on a writing hiatus
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote