Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Historical Writing
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Exclamation Ancient History Markets

I have posted this over at Freelance Writing, but realize it will probably be better here where there are people who actually write history. This is my first post in this folder! *waves*
Mods, feel free to delete my other thread (I don't know how to myself).
Anyway, I am seeking some mags/ezines that have an ancient/medieval non-ficiton history theme to them. I have never freelanced before but I really love history and have some potential articles to create. I tend to write to more ancient history and my writing usually focuses on unknown aspects of a certain event, for example I have done a tremendous amount of research on ancient war dogs. Who has heard of that?!? Is this topic sellable? I hope so... From reading this, do any of you have any suggestions for markets that may fit my writing concepts (a.k.a. commonly publishing non fiction articles about ancient history)? I have already read the 'history markets' sticky, so please don't refer me there, I just don't have the time to click on each individual market and see if they focus on what I'd like. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MysteryRiter; 11-09-2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: non fic not fic
MysteryRiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
Puma
Retired and loving it!

Puma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I couldn't quite tell from your post whether you're talking about non-fiction or fiction. That will make a difference in possibilities. Puma
Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Non fiction, sorry. I'll go edit now.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
Puma
Retired and loving it!

Puma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The ones I'm most familiar with are Archaeology, Discover, National Geographic and Smithsonian magazines. All are very reputable and known for excellent articles. Discover is more scientific than the others, with Archaeology right behind it. Natl Geo and Smithsonian are more for the masses so not quite so technical. Sorry, but I don't know anything about e-zines. Puma

ETA: I'm assuming you're in the states; if not, you might want to let us know where you are 'cause that makes a difference too.

Last edited by Puma; 11-09-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

Thanks Puma! I'm from the US of A (and I can't believe I just said "US of A" O_o. Sleepless night last night should explain it), yes. I thought it would be EXTREMELY difficult to get accepted into the above... Thoughts? I like those suggestions. A lot. But those seem like a difficult place to start... Am I wrong?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
Puma
Retired and loving it!

I think it's pretty much a matter of your credentials - if you have them, you should have a decent shot, but, if you just happen to be someone interested in the particular fields and don't have the appropriate sheepskin, it could be a hard row to hoe. You'd have to do a darn good job of convincing them why you're the best writer to present the material (and if no one else is looking at topics such as the war dogs, it could be done.)

You might also take a couple minutes and check Amazon for ancient history magazines and see whether you can come up with some additional titles that might not be so daunting. Example: many states publish their own magazines and if an area of your interest is something particular to a state and you can start there, you could build up your credentials so they might be more acceptable to the big names. Puma
Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #7
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

Thanks for the tips. I have about 0 creds for writing non fic. I'll look for some less daunting mags on amazon, thanks.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 AM   #8
W.J. Cherf
VP, Egyptian Studies Society

W.J. Cherf is on a distinguished road
Professional academic journals

Sorry to say, but the vast majority of publications that are devoted to ancient history are professionally vetted academic journals, where payment is in artical offprints. Even the more popular ones devoted to ancient Egypt: i.e., Kemet, Egyptology Today, etc., are vetted submissions.

Author of the five manuscripts of the Richards' Trust: Bow Tie, Recovery, Children of Ptah, Imhotep, and Maat-ka-re. Visit, read FREE chapters, and begin to explore the adventures of Egyptologist Joseph Richards at: www.wjcherf.com.
W.J. Cherf is offline   Reply With Quote