Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:41 AM   #126
honoluluwriter
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

honoluluwriter is on a distinguished road
update

Hi all,
I sent an email to Ms. Lu yesterday to inquire about the status of my partial which I sent on July 31. She politely responded that she has been swamped and that she would not get to anything sent in July until next month. She thanked me for my patience.
Its not a rejection, so I still feel like that's good.
I am sure being an agent is a tough business to break into and perhaps that is why she has not had reported sales. Of course, I'm new to this too. Now that she is with Lori Perkins, perhaps that will help.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #127
K. M. Walton
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

K. M. Walton is on a distinguished road
I sent her the first 50 pages back on February 18, 2009. I've emailed her four or five times with absolutely no response whatsoever. Very strange.

Why bother requesting? I don't understand.

I've given up on her.
My website: www.kmwalton.com
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #128
PGaritas
Zen Quixote

PGaritas is on a distinguished road
She responded to my query and requested the same material - first 50 pgs, 3 pg synopsis, and bio, and yes, with all the eclectic formatting rules (which didn't really bother me, besides being a minor hassle).

Last edited by PGaritas; 08-13-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:07 AM   #129
tko
just thanks

tko leaves trails of profuse coolnesstko leaves trails of profuse coolnesstko leaves trails of profuse coolnesstko leaves trails of profuse coolnesstko leaves trails of profuse coolness
no one finds this post specious?

This is the 2nd time that someone has joined simply to praise Ms. Lu, with no facts, and no response to questions. It seems that Ms Lu is well aware of this thread. It's pretty bad when an agent works at three companies but can't quote a single sale. The problem seems to be in her own head.

Once more, her description of what she wants haven't changed with the three agencies. Exact same wording. Its sad when a new agent doesn't update her bio and what she wants over three jobs, shows no growth.

Interestingly enough, they are reference to interview with her, but the interviews no longer exist.

We have someone at work just like her. Interviews well, talks well, very convincing, but when it comes to getting the product out the door, nothing.

Glad I found this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honoluluwriter View Post
I have also only recently discovered this thread and found it interesting because Sandy Lu requested 50 pages, bio, and synop. I am still in the waiting process and would be very interested in the progress of others' from whom she has requested materials. FinalDraft, would you share more of your experience?
Old 02-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #130
foliogal
figuring it all out

foliogal is on a distinguished road
Do not know Ms. Lu nor have plans to query her. But per the L. Perkins Agency thread at AW, Ms. Lu had four sales in April of 2010, confirmed by Ms. Perkin's blog.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:53 AM   #131
Giant Baby
Oh, the humanity.

Giant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by foliogal View Post
Do not know Ms. Lu nor have plans to query her. But per the L. Perkins Agency thread at AW, Ms. Lu had four sales in April of 2010, confirmed by Ms. Perkin's blog.
I believe it was two sales actually, but she sold four books in total. One of the sales was a three book deal to Midnight Ink.

As far as this thread is concerned, I don't think Vanguard is still around. She was the only agent there and she's with Perkins now. The Perkins thread is probably a better place for these observations, at this point.
Atria/Infinite Words

..Bower Lewis
website | facebook
. .......twitter

Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle
Old 02-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #132
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yep. I'm going to close this thread for the time being to direct discussion of Sandy Lu to her current agency: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8773
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
Closed Thread