Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Zefiris
practical experience, FTW

Zefiris has a spectacular auraZefiris has a spectacular aura
Free Word-Processors that are compatable with Word?

My trial on MS Office has run out and, as of now I can't afford to pay the ridiculous, extortion price that Microsoft Charge.

I just want it for Word too and I hate the thought of being ripped off and paying for a product where 90% of it I won't use

So, is there any free-word processors that are compatable with MS Word. Where I can open my saved word documents & save them and, anyone I send the documents too can open them on their version of MS Office?

I've found one, IBM Lotus Symphony which is apparently compatable.

http://symphony.lotus.com/software/l.../home.nsf/home

Is this one okay and is it truly Word compatable?

I don't wanna sound tight-fisted but I honestly can't afford to pay for Microsoft Office at the prices they charge, especially when 90% of the features I'd never use (excel, office, spreadsheet etc)

My Writing

Steam Queen: Steampunk - Out Now

On Angel's Wings: Children's Fantasy - Out Now!

True Hero?: Superhero - Out Now!

Fire and Fury: Fantasy - Out now!
Zefiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
OpenOffice.org
It's free. I use it on my netbook and use Word on my desktop, so it's very compatible. Just make sure w/ OO that you save documents as a .doc file.
I also like OO better than Word 2007.

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Another vote for Open Office. There are a few annoying features (especially if you're used to Word) but I use it and recommend it to anyone who asks.

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Zefiris

Thanks

I read about Open Office, I heard that you could open and edit MS Word documents with it but couldn't save them afterwards, guess the forum I read that on was wrong.

I guess you can save them okay then?

Since that's the main thing Also, will publishers be able to open the documents okay in Word if I send it to them in Open Office format?

Thanks again

My Writing

Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefiris View Post
Thanks

I read about Open Office, I heard that you could open and edit MS Word documents with it but couldn't save them afterwards, guess the forum I read that on was wrong.

Since that's the main thing Also, will publishers be able to open the documents okay in Word if I send it to them in Open Office format?

Thanks again
Word opens .odt files just fine. In fact, Word 2007 allows you to save Word files as .odt.

The only things I don't like about OO is I find the Track Changes and Commenting functions distracting (mostly cuz I'm used to Word) and in large files with lots of tracked changes (such as a book ms) it autosaves about every 90 seconds (it feels like, anyway) and is...really...slow.

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Zefiris

I've downloaed it so I'll see how it goes!

Thanks, y'all

My Writing

Old 09-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

You can save in Word's .doc format with Open Office, and that would be advisable, imho. A publisher/agent might be able to open an .odt file, but may not know they can.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
JimmyB27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
Zefiris

Downloaded and it seems just as good as MS Word!

Thanks alot guys, you've saved me some cash here

My Writing

Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You're welcome

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I've found one, IBM Lotus Symphony which is apparently compatable.

http://symphony.lotus.com/software/l.../home.nsf/home

Is this one okay and is it truly Word compatable?

I don't wanna sound tight-fisted but I honestly can't afford to pay for Microsoft Office at the prices they charge, especially when 90% of the features I'd never use (excel, office, spreadsheet etc)
Lotus Symphony is actually just a brushed-up version of OpenOffice, so either should work just as well. OpenOffice is great for a Word/Office replacement, especially if you don't need any of the specialized features. There's no reason to own MS Office if all you do is write in Word.

If you're on a Mac, Bean is also quite good. And it's just a word processor, so it's very elegant and streamlined without any bloat.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #11
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For submissions, save a copy of the file in RTF and send that copy...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
Ragnarok
Loki made me do it

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road
I've been using OpenOffice for a couple of years and still have serious compatibility issues with MS Word documents in 3.2.1. Tends to happen with tables and text format. Whenever I work on a doc for too long (as in making numerous format changes in various parts of the documents) and then open it in Word, I get random alterations that slaughter the intended presentation, for ex: sections can become bold, change font size, color, type. I really hope it'll be fixed at some point.

Meanwhile, if you have an important document to send in .doc, make sure it looks OK by opening it with wordpad.

Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote