Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > New Members
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2004, 09:24 AM   #1
cotecec

Intro and need advice on what to charge for reprint!

Ever since I wrote my first poem about Halloween in the second grade, I've been devoted to writing. Somewhere along the way I decided that I was foolish to think I could make my living doing it and gave up. Now I realized that writing is all I'm passionate about in life and am hell-bent on making it my life's work, one way or the other. I enjoy all kinds of writing, articles, essays, fiction, poetry.

Recently I had an article published. :snoopy I was very excited to find a letter in the mail from someone who wants to publish a reprint of an article I wrote in a reference book. But since I am still new to this business I have no idea how to approach this person. They are in the UK, so contact will be by e-mail. They make no mention of payment but I feel like I should at least ask for something, any comments or
ideas on how I should handle it?

Thanks in advance!
Tamara
Old 07-12-2004, 10:27 AM   #2
aka eraser

Welcome.

I'd write, thank them for their interest and ask what payment they had in mind. Your next response would depend on theirs.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:38 PM   #3
mammamaia

sounds good to me...

... i'd follow aka's advice, if i were you... but first, you might want to google for 'magazine article reprint fees' or something like that... knowing what the going rate is, will help you to have the upper hand in the subsequent negotiation...

...writer's market probably has suggested amounts for this in their hard copy [book]... check it out in the library or take a peek at one in your nearest book store...

congrats on being 'wanted'!!!:jump ... love and hugs, maia
Old 07-19-2004, 07:00 PM   #4
arrowqueen

Re: sounds good to me...

Any of the stories I've had reprinted, the payment has been half of the orginal fee.

Hope this helps.

aq