Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #51
michael_b
So many ideas, never enough time.

michael_b is a shiny, shiny jewelmichael_b is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
I haven't heard anything on a hardmail query for over four months. I take it this is all hardmail subs, partials and fulls included?

Tri
I actually called them at the first part of December--I had a contact number for an editorial assistant there--and she told me my book is sitting on the editor's desk while they try to decide what, if anything, to do with the book.

I've noticed the line I submitted it to doesn't appear to be issuing books right now.
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #52
bri
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

bri is on a distinguished road
Anyone heard of Imajinn Books or Dorchester Publishing?

I discovered both of their websites today. Does anyone have any experience with either? Any information is much appreciated. Thank you

Bri
bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:29 AM   #53
TheRightEyedDeer
the land of black flies

TheRightEyedDeer has a spectacular auraTheRightEyedDeer has a spectacular aura
Adding links:

http://www.imajinnbooks.com/
(turn your speakers OFF)

http://www.dorchesterpub.com/

TheRightEyedDeer
TheRightEyedDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:51 AM   #54
frandavea
practical experience, FTW

frandavea is on a distinguished road
Dorchester is big.

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
Shaken (Echelon Press)
With the Wicked (on submission)
The Dark Ride - WIP
frandavea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:58 AM   #55
wannawrite

wannawrite leaves trails of profuse coolnesswannawrite leaves trails of profuse coolnesswannawrite leaves trails of profuse coolnesswannawrite leaves trails of profuse coolnesswannawrite leaves trails of profuse coolness
I've submitted to Dorchester. Still sitting in a corner, counting my toes and waiting for a response.

Demon Heart; Sold to Lyrical Press. Yeah!
Out of the Dark Trilogy; Got a 'revise and resubmit' invite. *heavy sigh* Back to the drawing board.
Cowgirl Up; Request for a full!
Texas Hold 'Em; Request for a full!
Blood Moon; Still waiting on query reply. *heavy sigh*
Sweet Surprises; I finally finshed the mutherhumper! Now what do I do with my time?
wannawrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:47 AM   #56
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As with any publisher or agent, it's best to first check the index at the top of this page to see if there's already a thread on them. (You might note that there's a notice in big letters that says * * * 'SCUSE ME, EVERYBODY... DON'T POST HERE BEFORE READING THE INDEX! * * *

You can find the index here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792

It's all in alphabetical order, and you'll find Dorchester and a link that takes you here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75602 as well as Imajinn and a link that takes you here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13471
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:54 AM   #57
bri

bri is on a distinguished road
thank you, i appreciate it.
bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:48 AM   #58
michael_b

I have a book sitting somewhere on an editor's desk while they sort out the fallout from the cancellation of the Shomi fiction line. Not sure what is going to happen to it now, because it does not fit their LoveSpell line of books.
I do NaNoWriMo

**An All Romance eBooks Bestseller**
Order-The Prince He Loved
Print
Ebook

Temporarily on a writing hiatus
Old 05-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #59
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
I have a REQUESTED manuscript still sitting on an editor's desk since July 2007, and re-sent via email in August 2008 (per editor's request).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:09 AM   #60
michael_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I have a REQUESTED manuscript still sitting on an editor's desk since July 2007, and re-sent via email in August 2008 (per editor's request).
Mine was also requested, and is 'under consideration' but, at this point I don't even know if the editor that requested my book is still with the company.
I do NaNoWriMo

Print
Ebook

Old 05-10-2009, 04:30 AM   #61
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Okie dokie, I just got rejected on an agented thee chaps. Woopee!

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:25 AM   #62
Dev
figuring it all out

Dev is on a distinguished road
E-Subs

Just a quick update to those interested...I noticed on Ralan's that Dorchester Publishing accepts e-subs now. Website confirms.

--Dev
Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:50 AM   #63
JamesRobertSmith

JamesRobertSmith is on a distinguished road
Dorchester

My experiences with Dorchester (Leisure) are basically negative. They never respond to submissions, as far as my experiences have gone. They never even responded to agented submissions of my work. Many moons ago I had a book (sans agent) submitted there. After months and months (about a year and a half) I got an email from editor Don D'Auria explaining that he had it on "(his) desk" and that I would be hearing something "within a few weeks". Weeks passed. Months passed. I never heard anything at all from them (or him). I notifed them that I was pulling the book to submit it elsewhere, but I don't think it mattered at that point.

My impression of Dorchester is that they publish two types of horror novels:

1: Those written my established authors who can't find homes for their work at traditional houses.

2: Novels written by newbies who do classic Hollywood-style pitches face to face with D'Auria at conventions and make their "sale" in person.

The one agented novel I sent to them got nowhere, apparently. I later sold it on my own (after leaving that agency) and then sold the movie rights to a major studio.

Dorchester is certainly a reputable publisher, but I have nothing good to say about the way they run their submissions process.
JamesRobertSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #64
michael_b

My book has been parked there gathering dust for a year as of last month. I think it's time to make a call and find out what, if anything, they intend to do with it. I wouldn't mind having a crack at pro publication, but a book sitting in limbo does nothing for my career either.

Thanks for the input James.
I do NaNoWriMo

Print
Ebook

Old 05-20-2009, 01:57 AM   #65
JamesRobertSmith

JamesRobertSmith is on a distinguished road
Another thing about Dorchester is that they pay very, very, very low advances. I think their royalty system stacks up with the rest of the larger publishers, but the advances are really bad.

I have met agents who won't deal with them because of the low advances.

And I've met agents who previously would not deal with them, but now they will due to the shrunken market for horror fiction.
JamesRobertSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:07 AM   #66
michael_b

Got a canned response from an Editor at Dorchester.
---
Congratulations again on becoming a finalist in the Shomi Fiction contest. We hope you enjoyed the experience.

After the contest ends, we do a careful evaluation of each entry. Although your manuscript has much to recommend it, we’re afraid it’s not quite as strong as other submissions we are currently considering.

We wish you the best of luck in your writing career and do hope you’ll stay in touch.
---
It fit the Shomi guidelines but as far as LoveSpell it's neither fish nor foul. It doesn't fit that line at all so I was expecting this letter since the Shomi line is gone.

I'll dust it off, redo the end, and see if I can find an agent. It's not like I can sell this one to my regular ebook publishers. Not enough sexual content.
I do NaNoWriMo

Print
Ebook

Old 01-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #67
brainstorm77

brainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I heard that authors with this publisher have had problems getting paid... Is this still true?
brainstorm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:28 AM   #68
para

para is well-respected
Dear Author is reporting that Dorchester has sold some of its back-list. Guess there was some fire to all that smoke then.

para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:55 AM   #69
Bubastes
bananaed

Bubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Dorchester appears to have some cash flow problems. Some of the writers for the Trues (the confession magazine arm of Dorchester) said their checks bounced the first time they tried to cash them. The checks eventually went through, but it's still problematic.

Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Bubastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #70
Bubastes
bananaed

Bubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Interesting press release from Dorchester: a new "Publisher's Pledge" program:

Quote:
“Publisher’s Pledge is a reaffirmation of the business model Dorchester has always prided itself on,” stated Brooke Borneman, Director of Sales and Marketing. “Our strength has been identifying emerging voices and trends in the industry rather than chasing bestsellers. Our intent is to reestablish ourselves in the market as the publisher authors and agents turn to first to introduce new talent. Dorchester has proven countless times—through our innovative marketing, tireless dedication and willingness to take chances—that we are uniquely qualified for this special and vital niche. This program represents our commitment—our pledge, if you will—to everyone in the book publishing community.”

Launching in April 2010, the Publisher’s Pledge program will be supported by online and national print advertising; bookstore mailings; press release and ARC campaigns to media, reviewers, bloggers, retailers, libraries and consumers; lead features in bookseller, library and consumer e-newsletters; consumer contests and buzz campaigns through social networking sites; and a money-back guarantee for readers.
I'm not sure what it means, if anything.

http://romanceuniversity.org/2010/02...is-just-in-14/

Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Bubastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 AM   #71
jennontheisland
the world is at my command

jennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm seeing rumours that all editor appointments, workshops and spotlights on Dorchester at the RWA conference have been cancelled because Dorchester is past due in fulfilling contractual obligations to some of their authors.

I can't find anything on the RWA site (at least not on the areas open to non-members) confirming this though.

Eat This.

Last edited by jennontheisland; 07-15-2010 at 02:06 AM.
jennontheisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:16 AM   #72
mlhernandez

mlhernandez is a shiny, shiny jewelmlhernandez is a shiny, shiny jewel
Writers who had appointments with Leah Hultenschmidt received notices Dorchester appointments and spotlights had been canceled. I don't have the official statement but it's *the* topic in some writer forums right now.
mlhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #73
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I poked around RWA's site, and their latest hot sheet info is from last December. I haven't heard anything anywhere else, though.

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website
Jersey Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #74
Nadia

Nadia is well-respected
Dear Author posted more on the RWA & Dorchester situation: http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010...ited-from-rwa/

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -- Oscar Wilde

Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 AM   #75
nevada
Self-Banned

nevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthoodnevada is a candidate for sainthood
Dorchester publishing closes its doors

We just got the email at work. Dorchester publishing, as of sept 01, will cease print publishing and will only publish ebooks. I feel sad for writers with contracts and especially those who have a contract but still waiting on the publishing of their books. I hope they all had agents who negotiated favourable rights reversions.
nevada is offline   Reply With Quote