Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
How many spaces after a colon?

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
one.

unless you mean a real colon, then it'll be the length of the rec... (oh, is it bad that I say the word?)

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between A Bunch of Stories
(2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews
maestrowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Maxinquaye
That cheeky buggerer

Maxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
/me tiptoes out of the thread after seeing the colonoscopic direction that the thread immediately took...
The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Barnes
"Yes, of course we were pretentious what else is youth for?"
----
My blog and site:
Max on Everything
Maxinquaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
dpaterso
No one of consequence!
SuperModerator

dpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Back in the typewriter day, when fading ink ribbons could result in commas being mistaken for periods and vice versa, typists were taught to insert 2 spaces after the period to differentiate between the two. Ditto with colons and semicolons, 2 spaces after a colon, 1 space after a semicolon.

These days, with word processors and laser printers and whatnot, I dunno if it makes a difference. So the answer is probably, use one space or two, doesn't matter, as long as you keep it consistent.

-Derek
dpaterso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Stijn Hommes
Know what you write...

Stijn Hommes is a shiny, shiny jewelStijn Hommes is a shiny, shiny jewel
dpaterso already explained where the whole idea of 2 spaces came from. Gee, I feel old. I had a typewriter when I was younger. Anyway, don't make things more complicated then they need to be. Now that we have computers you only need one space no matter what the punctuation mark is.
Stijn Hommes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
kaitie

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Domo.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Julie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I put one space after everything. That allows me to do a find and replace on two spaces for one, keeping everything consistent. If someone's house style is different, they can change it themselves.
Julie Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
Nadia
practical experience, FTW

Nadia is well-respected
Two.

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -- Oscar Wilde

Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
scarletpeaches
Banned

scarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
One.

I had never, ever heard of this 'two spaces' thing before joining AW and I learned to type on a typewriter.

A split-level finger-mangler too, none of your electric gubbins.
scarletpeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
dpaterso
No one of consequence!
SuperModerator

dpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletpeaches View Post
I had never, ever heard of this 'two spaces' thing before joining AW and I learned to type on a typewriter.
You'll appreciate that international typing standards were defined long, long before you tapped out your first swear word. Pitman courses trained typists to use 2 spaces after period and colon.

-Derek
dpaterso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
scarletpeaches
Banned

scarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quite.

But even after mixing with other writers in real life (not for me, hence my appearance online) I never heard any of them mention this formatting 'rule'.

And I'm speaking as someone who knows Pitman's.
scarletpeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
Mara
Clever User Title

Mara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputation
My idiot, living-in-the-Dark-Ages high school keyboarding teacher taught us all that crap, and now I can't stop myself from putting two spaces after periods, question marks, and exclamation marks. I have to use Find and Replace to fix it. Grrr...
Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #13
CaroGirl
Living the dream

CaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
When I first learned to type I used two, but I've since managed to retrain the brain (and fingers) to use only one. Some software applications will allow only one space after any punctuation. I loves those applications.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #14
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I learned to type on a typewriter (yes, I'm 65 years old!!!!) and I only learned to put two spaces after a period, not semicolon or colon -- there was only one space.

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

(2006 IPPY Award)

Old 11-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
kaitie

I learned to type on a computer and I learned two spaces instead of one. It often depends on the manuscript style as well. AP is actually one after a period, whereas uh...that other one I used to use in school I can't remember the name of was two. Annoying. I do two after periods because that's how I was taught and it looks weird to me otherwise.

Oddly, my thinking was more that the answer had to do with what came after the colon than anything else. Namely, if it was a complete sentence it would be two spaces and if not it would be one. I clearly had no idea what I was talking about. However, this has cleared up the answer quite well--either one is fine!

Old 11-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #16
Kisatchie
I stop at railroad crossings

Kisatchie is on a distinguished road
I only put one space after any punctuation. I've been using typewriters (and then computers) since I was ten years old (1960).
Kisatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #17
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I use one space after a colon, two after a period as writer. Two is the way I was taught, and as an editor, I appreciate all the extra space a writer can give me.

But it really isn't an issue. Anyone who notices how many spaces you put after a period has already lost interest in what you actually wrote.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #18
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's a single space after a colon, period, question mark, or exclamation point.

It's only important in that it helps you look like a professional.

That said, if a publisher or editor asks you to use three spaces, and Comic Sans 19 point in flamingo pink, then by golly, you do it with a smile and be ready to grab the check.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #19
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Agree with Lisa. If the writing between and around the punctuation marks is interesting and publishable, I doubt an agent or editor will give a rat's arse about being colonic over spacing.
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category
NeuroFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #20
RJK
Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:

RJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputation
I can't believe we can find this many people to comment on a space. Imagine what would happen if we had something of substance to discuss.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #21
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

The problem is when the writer is inconsistent. A space here and two spaces there. It makes the typesetter's job very difficult to conform to house style. The "search and replace" function doesn't always work so well.

-- Agatha Christie

(2006 IPPY Award)

Old 11-20-2009, 02:01 AM   #22
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrowork View Post
The problem is when the writer is inconsistent. A space here and two spaces there. It makes the typesetter's job very difficult to conform to house style. The "search and replace" function doesn't always work so well.
It doesn't bother any typesetter I know. Spacing is the one area where nothing in the manuscript matters in the least to the typesetter. If you quadruple space between sentences, paragraphs, or anywhere else, his job is to simply follow house style in these areas.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:02 AM   #23
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
It's a single space after a colon, period, question mark, or exclamation point.

It's only important in that it helps you look like a professional.

That said, if a publisher or editor asks you to use three spaces, and Comic Sans 19 point in flamingo pink, then by golly, you do it with a smile and be ready to grab the check.
I agree with the other punctuation, but single space after a period doesn't make a writer look one bit more professional. Less so, to many of us.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:29 AM   #24
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
I agree with the other punctuation, but single space after a period doesn't make a writer look one bit more professional. Less so, to many of us.
Actually, that's a good point--let's say it adds a small extra step.

OK?

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #25
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
It doesn't bother any typesetter I know. Spacing is the one area where nothing in the manuscript matters in the least to the typesetter. If you quadruple space between sentences, paragraphs, or anywhere else, his job is to simply follow house style in these areas.
Yes, but he has to FIND all that stuff to change it. If he doesn't know there's a quadruple space somewhere, he won't be able to change it and then the galley comes back and someone says, "Why the heck does it look so far apart?" That's why I say "consistent." If there are always four spaces after a colon, the typesetter can simply search and replace.

-- Agatha Christie

(2006 IPPY Award)