• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Drew Montgomery Literary Management / The Montgomery Literary Agency

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
Shes got a link on myspace with loads of info:

http://www.myspace.com/500609628

This is what I didnt like: "My fees are 17% for all domestic sales, 22% for all international sales, and 15% of all film rights sales. Submission Policy: I accept queries for non fiction and fiction by email and email only. Please don't mail in your queries. Other websites where you can find me: http://www.linkedin.com/in/agentdrewmontgomery http://www.facebook.com/drewmontgomeryagency"

she is taking more than the industry standard as her comission. I am sorry but I know bigger agents who take less!

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if the Glen Cravits Literary Agency ever existed it's gone now. She claims it as experience, but I can't find any info on it. She notes that she helped to establish it, and if that's true and now it's out of business that doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Per her LinkedIn and Facebook profiles, Drew Montgomery charges a nonstandard domestic commission of 17%. None of the clients she mentions in these profiles appear to be published, and I can find no sales information for her other than her claims, on her MySpace page, to have sold novels to Little Brown and Houghton "Miffin" (um, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt?) and screenplays to Universal and Paramount. She doesn't mention titles or authors, however, so these claims--conveniently--can't be verified. (Agents who announce sales generally provide full info--author, title, publisher.)

Even if these claims are true, you'd really want to see more of a track record (to put it mildly) from an agency that has been in business (per her profile claims) since 2000.

Of the Glen Cravits Literary Agency, where she says she worked before setting up on her own, I can find no trace other than her own references to it.

So, on its face, not very encouraging. But wait. There's more.

Based on a solid tip I received a little while back from the owner of an agent-tracking website, "Drew Montgomery" is very likely the same person as "Julia Levin" (they share an IP address).

Julia claimed to be a Florida-based agent supposedly in business for several years. Last August, she began soliciting writers, claiming to have inherited the client and submission list of another agent, Sara Levine, who supposedly died suddenly in August. Julia--of whose existence there is no trace whatever prior to her writer contacts--made obviously false sales claims (I saw these, courtesy of a writer who smelled a rat--I say "obviously false" because they included titles that wouldn't have been picked up by the claimed publisher and bad-research errors like attributing an imprint to the wrong publisher). After writers got suspicious, and some warnings were posted on LinkedIn and elsewhere, all the Julia Levin information vanished, and Drew Montgomery appeared.

One writer blogged about her experience with Sara Levine and then Julia Levin (the writer doesn't use names, but she wrote to me about her experience, so I know who she's talking about).

- Victoria

Donnettetxgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnettesmith.com
I know, it's wierd. I wasn't able to pick up any info on this Glen Cravits Lit Agency either, even though I searched for it on the web. I googled some of the authors she lists on her myspace page. I was able to spot some of them on Amazon with books for sale, but I don't recognize any of the publishers. One of the author's seems to have had a few books published. But, I couldn't find anything linking Drew to the publishing of any of his books.

There's just hardly no information about her at all. I even checked some of these authors names through Little Brown (which is a legit publishing company), and came up with no matches.

I found her name on a few different agent lists (that seem to have the names of legit agents). http://everyonewhosanyone.com/agus7.html
http://www.writers-free-reference.com/agents/

It's kind of scary, because I often refer to these two agent lists to check out agents.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Just be wary Donnette, not every list is a valid list of legitimate agents. There are lists out there where the criteria to be on them is super low, and there's no screening. Always double and triple check :)

Donnettetxgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnettesmith.com
Thanks for the heads-up. Yeah, I normally do. Her name stood out because I hadn't recognized it. Thought I'd go on a hunt to find out just who she is.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Victoria, you are a Godsend!

Thank you for saving us so often.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
i found her name on a few different agent lists (that seem to have the names of legit agents). http://everyonewhosanyone.com/agus7.html
http://www.writers-free-reference.com/agents/

It's kind of scary, because I often refer to these two agent lists to check out agents.

Everyonewhosanyone.com lists many reputable agents, but it has a fair number of marginal and questionable agents as well. The owner doesn't seem to screen the agents he adds (or to care that some of them aren't reputable).

Writers' Free Reference is not only horribly outdated (it lists many defunct agencies and agencies that have re-named themselves or combined with others), it includes quite a few disreputable agents.

A better resource would be AgentQuery or QueryTracker.

- Victoria

Donnettetxgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnettesmith.com
Yes, AgentQuery is a very good resource. I've ran across some very good agents there.

I must add that it is a shame some of these other sites that list agents on the web don't keep up with the lists. You run across a website that seems to be pretty popular, see quite a few names on there that you know to be reputable agents, so you feel more confident trusting the lists. I just think if someone takes the time to put up a list of agents, they should take the time to keep it updated.

But, of course the author should do some background checking to make sure an agent is reputable.

I just have a habit, when I'm looking at a list of agents & I spot a name I don't recognize, I start doing some searches.

jewelssarah

Registered
Reaction score
About Drew Montgomery

Hi Everyone!

I am a writer represented by Drew Montgomery and love her as my agent! She is the best and works the hardest and will do whatever it takes to make her clients a sucess! I'd love to talk to anyone about her who has doubts or questions!

Julia Levin
[email protected]

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am a writer represented by Drew Montgomery and love her as my agent! She is the best and works the hardest and will do whatever it takes to make her clients a sucess! I'd love to talk to anyone about her who has doubts or questions!

Julia Levin
[email protected]

What's going on here. someone wrote about a scam agent called Julia Levin, now we have Julia Levin an author writing in to say she loves this agent who may be a scammer. I'm confused

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Julia Levin
[email protected]

Really?

Based on a solid tip I received a little while back from the owner of an agent-tracking website, "Drew Montgomery" is very likely the same person as "Julia Levin" (they share an IP address).

Julia claimed to be a Florida-based agent supposedly in business for several years. Last August, she began soliciting writers, claiming to have inherited the client and submission list of another agent, Sara Levine, who supposedly died suddenly in August. Julia--of whose existence there is no trace whatever prior to her writer contacts--made obviously false sales claims (I saw these, courtesy of a writer who smelled a rat--I say "obviously false" because they included titles that wouldn't have been picked up by the claimed publisher and bad-research errors like attributing an imprint to the wrong publisher). After writers got suspicious, and some warnings were posted on LinkedIn and elsewhere, all the Julia Levin information vanished, and Drew Montgomery appeared.

One writer blogged about her experience with Sara Levine and then Julia Levin (the writer doesn't use names, but she wrote to me about her experience, so I know who she's talking about).

- Victoria

How curious. Welcome, Julia. I'm sure questions will be many.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Hi Everyone!

Julia Levin
[email protected]

OK, I'll bite.

1) What kind of book is she representing for you?
2) Has she sold it yet?
3) If so, to which publisher?
4) If so, what's the name of the book?
5) Who are some of her other clients?
6) Has she sold any of their work yet?
7) What are the names of those books?

I have more questions, but these will do for starts.

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
OK, I'll bite.

2) Has she sold it yet?

Dude, you totally went for it! I was gonna go for it but you beat me to it!:e2sling:

jewelssarah

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I'll bite.

2) Has she sold it yet?

Hi Richard,

It is nice to meet you. My novel is a romance thriller about a man named Eric Carlson who earns his living as a poacher of white wolves. He meets Diana Pearls when her geological research plane crashes and he rescues her. They fall in love until Diana discovers he's a poacher. Eric decides to give up poaching to get Diana back and they soon both become embroiled in a deadly fight with Eric's fellow poachers who don't appreciate him turning his back on them. I've titled my novel The Pack of White Wolves. She sent it out to the publishers (Random House, Simon and Schuster, W.W. Norton, Henry Holt, Tor Books, Little Brown and Company, St. Martin's Press, Weinstein Books, and HarperCollins, and Hyperion) but has not heard any responses yet as she only sent them out a few weeks ago. I know only one of her recent sales that she is waiting on a contract for. Carl Johnson who wrote a sci fi thriller about ailens taking over the planet and killing all humans. It's called Alien Invasion. Drew sold it to HarperCollins.

I hope this helps.
Julia Levin

jewelssarah

Registered
Reaction score
What's going on here. someone wrote about a scam agent called Julia Levin, now we have Julia Levin an author writing in to say she loves this agent who may be a scammer. I'm confused

Hi Bushdoctor,

Let me clear up the confusion. I do not know about any literary agent known as Julia Levin. I am a new author who is represented by Drew Montgomery and is pleased with her efforts on my behalf and wanted to share my experiences with her with all the other writers out there.

Julia Levin

jewelssarah

Registered
Reaction score
Well, if the Glen Cravits Literary Agency ever existed it's gone now. She claims it as experience, but I can't find any info on it. She notes that she helped to establish it, and if that's true and now it's out of business that doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Hi M.R.J,

Glen Cravits died of lung cancer so Drew closed down his agency and closed down all the websites related to his agency since there was no one to take over. I hope this helps clear up the confusion.

Julia Levin

jewelssarah

Registered
Reaction score
Shes got a link on myspace with loads of info:

http://www.myspace.com/500609628

This is what I didnt like: "My fees are 17% for all domestic sales, 22% for all international sales, and 15% of all film rights sales. Submission Policy: I accept queries for non fiction and fiction by email and email only. Please don't mail in your queries. Other websites where you can find me: http://www.linkedin.com/in/agentdrewmontgomery http://www.facebook.com/drewmontgomeryagency"

she is taking more than the industry standard as her comission. I am sorry but I know bigger agents who take less!

Hi Buschdoctor,

I find her fees more then fair because she works 24/7 to get her clients' novels published and deserves every single cent as far as I am concerned.

Julia Levin

Last edited:

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Bushdoctor,

Let me clear up the confusion. I do not know about any literary agent known as Julia Levin. I am a new author who is represented by Drew Montgomery and is pleased with her efforts on my behalf and wanted to share my experiences with her with all the other writers out there.

Julia Levin

Thank you for that Julia. Can I ask, does she charge for any of her services? Also does she refer you to any fee paying external editors?

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Must be a very recent contract.

Neither Amazon or BN.com show any hits for a book written by Carl Johnson titled Alien Invasion.

But, I'm willing to wait a bit longer and check again, not having any contacts at HC.

Yet.

jewelssarah

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for that Julia. Can I ask, does she charge for any of her services? Also does she refer you to any fee paying external editors?

Hi Bushdoctor,

No. She is not charging me for anyhing except her fee once she gets my novel published nor has she referred me to any paying external editors.

Julia Levin

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Buschdoctor,

I find her fees more then fair because she works 24/7 to get her clients' novels published and deserves every single cent as far as I am concerned.

Julia Levin

But who are her clients? Doesn't it seem odd that every agent under the sun who is selling books to publishers lists their clients but her?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Dear Julia Levin,

Did you not read my post (above)? Do you not realize that we already know that before Drew Montgomery began calling herself Drew Montgomery, she was, well, you?

(On the other hand, why let a perfectly good alias go to waste? Recycling is good.)

Here's something you may not realize: I can see your IP address. And guess what? It's the same as Drew Montgomery's!

We have had some interesting trollery around here, but this really takes the cake.

- Victoria