Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:06 PM   #9926
lucidzfl
Back from the dead

lucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthoodlucidzfl is a candidate for sainthood
James, I asked this on the Roundtable forum (Accidently, I meant it for the novels forum)

How do you approach chase/hunting/battle scenes? The only way I can visualize it is to draw it on paper, or even use figurines to determine positioning and reactions.

Is there a better way?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #9927
euclid
Where did I put me specs?

euclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admirationeuclid has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
Sharpen, focus, and unify them.
Right. Thanks. Will do.

Quote:
Why should you make your prose the best and most polished that you can? Why should you remove or change clumsy bits? I dunno. You tell me.
Right. Sorry, Jim. I suppose I should have asked:

When is it a good idea to use (intentional) alliteration?

Old 08-28-2009, 06:57 AM   #9928
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by euclid View Post

When is it a good idea to use (intentional) alliteration?
Here is an example:

Quote:
During the whole of a dull, dark, and soundless day in the autumn of the year, when the clouds hung oppressively low in the heavens, I had been passing alone, on horseback, through a singularly dreary tract of country; and at length found myself, as the shades of evening drew on, within view of the melancholy House of Usher.
You are writing a 100,000 word poem. Every word must be there for the right reason, including its sound. You might want to read "The Philosophy of Composition" by Edgar Allan Poe for more thoughts on this. It's short.

I first read that essay when I was in high school, and it influenced me deeply. Poe, himself, was a great literary innovator. You could have worse models.

Just in case you've not read The Raven, here it is.

Read it silently, then read it aloud. See how different the experience is.

Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 08-28-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #9929
Salis
You Lie!

Salis is a shiny, shiny jewelSalis is a shiny, shiny jewel
Good essay, but Poe was also the fellow who loved to plagiarize, so as much as I loved The Cask of Amontillado, there are better role models.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #9930
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The copyright laws then were not as they are now, which is a big part of why Poe died in poverty. (He made $9, total, from "The Raven.")

Quote:
but Poe was also the fellow who loved to plagiarize,
What do you base that on?

Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 08-28-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #9931
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

E. A. Poe, Flamewarrior. Newpaper letter columns were the messageboards of the day.

The subject is plagiarism.

Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 08-29-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #9932
motormind
Self-Banned

motormind is well-respected
Quote:

Why should you make your prose the best and most polished that you can? Why should you remove or change clumsy bits? I dunno. You tell me.
Prose that's too polished tends to be a bit stale and boring. I like it when sentences wriggle like restless worms.

Last edited by motormind; 08-29-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #9933
MondayNightFrungy
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

MondayNightFrungy is on a distinguished road
Hello Mr. Macdonald... I was wondering, what is a good way to learn how to make your descriptive prose more compelling and... colorful?

I have tried thesauruses and even a few books on the subject but somehow I still feel something is missing. Well, a whole lot of something, to be exact.

Anyways... what suggestions would you have?
Old 08-30-2009, 12:55 AM   #9934
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormind View Post
Prose that's too polished tends to be a bit stale and boring.
Stale and boring prose is not, of its nature, polished.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:57 AM   #9935
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayNightFrungy View Post

Anyways... what suggestions would you have?

Memorize a whole bunch of Shakespeare. Recite it aloud to inanimate objects (although cattle will do if no inanimate objects present themselves), preferably out of doors, in a loud voice.

People may start avoiding you, but your prose will become much more vivid.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:24 AM   #9936
Salis
You Lie!

Salis is a shiny, shiny jewelSalis is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:

What do you base that on?
He wrote a piece about a fellow who traveled to the Moon (fiction!) and lifted whole sections verbatim from encyclopedia-like books of the day. See here for exact details (and a really good book besides). To be specific about it, the example isn't "oh he stole an idea", he literally just copied entire paragraphs from another (scientific) book to lend his description of intra-planetary flight a "authentic" air. Ironically, he was known for strongly condemning other authors for alleged plagiarism. No one's perfect, I guess?

Still one of my favorite authors.

Last edited by Salis; 08-30-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:57 AM   #9937
Blue Sky
practical experience, FTW

Blue Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Memorize a whole bunch of Shakespeare. Recite it aloud to inanimate objects (although cattle will do if no inanimate objects present themselves), preferably out of doors, in a loud voice.

For a break I recommend mooing at the cows. I've had some interesting responses. As long as people are avoiding you anyway.

Moo!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #9938
MondayNightFrungy
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

MondayNightFrungy is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I'll wear my cell phone ear-set and tap it from time to time. That way they'll think I'm actually talking to someone else who's crazy!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #9939
mkcbunny
Bufflehead

mkcbunny leaves trails of profuse coolnessmkcbunny leaves trails of profuse coolnessmkcbunny leaves trails of profuse coolnessmkcbunny leaves trails of profuse coolnessmkcbunny leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Page 32 and following in this thread. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...t=6710&page=32

You can use Google better than the (poor, broken) search function that comes with this site. Use site:absolutewrite.com "Uncle Jim" then whatever term you're looking for.
Wow. I missed this one. Frankly, I couldn't finish the article. All the moaning and groaning both bored and irritated me. It smacks of the "entitled artist" syndrome. $40k per year? I could live on that, and I live in the Bay Area, one of the most expensive places in the country. What artist's heart hasn't been broken over something? Stop complaining. It's one thing if you are broke and frustrated, wondering if you should quit because you're digging yourself into debt, but if you are making that income? I'd be happy to be so "unhappy."
Old 08-31-2009, 01:59 AM   #9940
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Location: In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.
Calliopenjo has a spectacular aura
Smile

For general interest, The Ten Best Southern Novels of All Time is an interesting list. I say that because Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is listed in this article. I don't know if anybody remembers but there was controversy over letting children read this book. Why? It has the word "Nigger" in it.

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. Victor Herbert (1859-1924)
Old 08-31-2009, 05:13 PM   #9941
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

The Dreadful Secret Revealed
Old 08-31-2009, 05:27 PM   #9942
Calla Lily
On deadline for the next year or so
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Old 08-31-2009, 05:54 PM   #9943
Delhomeboy
Stalking Jennifer Aniston!

Delhomeboy has a spectacular auraDelhomeboy has a spectacular aura
Quote:
I wonder why that is?

^ Awesomeness

The first draft of anything is shit.
--Ernest Hemingway
Old 08-31-2009, 08:31 PM   #9944
RJK
Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:

RJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputation
Question for UJ. Why is an occasional alliteration, unintentional or not, bad?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:38 PM   #9945
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Because it draws attention to the words. If you want to draw attention to the words, that's okay. If you don't, it's not so okay.

Alliteration can also produce effects. If you want to produce the effect of silken curtains swishing, that's okay. If there isn't a silken curtain in a hundred miles, that's not so okay.

"Take care of the sounds and the sense will take care of itself."
Old 08-31-2009, 10:06 PM   #9946
Dicentra P
Help!!!!

Dicentra P is a shiny, shiny jewelDicentra P is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delhomeboy View Post
I wonder why that is?
For the same reason many strike actor/actress off the list probably. (trying not to be a spoiler) One always wonders where acting ends and the person begins.

Happy Festivus
Happy Hannukah
Happy Solstice
Happy Christmas
Happy Kwanzaa
Happy Boxing Day

And to all whatever you celebrate (or don't) a peaceful and prosperous 2010 and the gift of inspiration in all of your literary endeavors.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #9947
5bcarnies
practical experience, FTW

5bcarnies is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am reminded on 'Finding Forrester". Great movie. I believe Sean Connery's character mentioned that this was why he wrote as well.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #9948
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

The thread continues in Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 2.

Please see also:

Index to the Learn Writing with Uncle Jim Thread

Uncle Jim, undiluted

Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 09-07-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Closed Thread