Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Sports and Fitness
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
KTC
Writer at Large and a Cat

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What do you think of The Screen? Avery Vs. Brodeur

This really troubles me. I don't know why it wouldn't fall under the umbrella of UNSPORTSMAN-LIKE CONDUCT.

What thinks the other hockey fans out there?

The SCREEN

I blog

I Tweet

"I'll have no truck with plots." ~ Sheldon Cooper
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:24 AM   #2
Anthony Matias

Anthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It sure seems chicken sh*t to me. Although there is no rule against it, I don't think it should be allowed and as the commentators said, it will more than likely be against the rules shortly.
Anthony Matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 AM   #3
Jongfan
Insane, in a good way

Jongfan has a golden reputationJongfan has a golden reputationJongfan has a golden reputationJongfan has a golden reputationJongfan has a golden reputationJongfan has a golden reputation
There used to be an unwritten respect for goalies or the other team members beat the hell out of you. I've seen a lot of things in all sports lately that have me saying WTF
To purposely block the vision of the goalie is Unsportsman like and classless..
Brodeur is my all time favorite goalie.

http://emotionpoems.blogspot.com

_
http://amusinglyrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/

E.Jong Quote: Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark place where it leads

Don't ask for an easier life: ask to be a stronger person.
Jongfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:56 AM   #4
KTC

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's kind of what I'm suggesting... it crosses the respect line. To me, that is a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. Why shouldn't it fall under that?

My son got one this season for dancing to the penalty box. He's a bit of a showoff on the ice. I saw him and I wanted to wring his neck. Respect is high on my priority list when it comes to hockey. Avery was showing 0 respect with those actions.

I blog

I Tweet

Last edited by KTC; 04-15-2008 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:59 AM   #5
Anthony Matias

Anthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnthony Matias is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd be curious to find out what he had to say about it and also what his coach and teammates thought. Do you think he was told to do this?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
KTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Matias View Post
I'd be curious to find out what he had to say about it and also what his coach and teammates thought. Do you think he was told to do this?

I would hope he wasn't. And it sure looked like one of his teammates went over to him and suggested that he stop. There is no honor in what he did. Cheap tricks are ugly.

I blog

I Tweet

Old 04-15-2008, 03:08 AM   #7
Jongfan
Insane, in a good way

Jongfan has a golden reputationJongfan has a golden reputationJongfan has a golden reputationJongfan has a golden reputationJongfan has a golden reputationJongfan has a golden reputation
Brodeur is an amazing goalie, most players know the only way to get by him is top shelf.
Avery seemed to be trying to provoke him, almost wanting him to swing at him. Maybe he was told to draw him in, hoping to take focus off the game. Like you, I'd like to think it was not asked of him but today, you never know.

Congrats for you for not tolerating or condoning that action from your son. I lost respect for my other favorite goalie (Roy) when seeing he cheered his son on recently.

http://emotionpoems.blogspot.com

_
http://amusinglyrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/

E.Jong Quote: Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark place where it leads

Don't ask for an easier life: ask to be a stronger person.

Last edited by Jongfan; 04-15-2008 at 04:10 AM.
Jongfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:10 AM   #8
talps
It's all happening...

talps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Not a chance. It's just typical Sean Avery jackass-ness. I mean Drury was actually trying to stop him during the flow of play.

Avery is the biggest antagonist in the whole league. And he's for sure not the brightest bulb on the tree.

ETA: ESPN just brought on Barry Melrose, who's reporting that today the NHL handed down a statement declaring that Avery's behavior will result in a penalty.

Last edited by talps; 04-15-2008 at 03:28 AM. Reason: breaking news!
talps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:37 AM   #9
KTC

I knew Grapes wouldn't like it. He just said on Coach's Corner that Avery was an idiot when he watched him back in Owen Sound and he's still an idiot. Good on ya, Grapes.

I blog

I Tweet

Old 04-15-2008, 04:43 AM   #10
Anthony Matias

Quote:
Originally Posted by talps View Post
ETA: ESPN just brought on Barry Melrose, who's reporting that today the NHL handed down a statement declaring that Avery's behavior will result in a penalty.
Good! The sport doesn't need that kind of crap.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:07 AM   #11
KTC

Quote:
Good! The sport doesn't need that kind of crap.
Oh. And I second the Good!

I blog

I Tweet

Old 04-15-2008, 06:21 AM   #12
talps
It's all happening...

talps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Avery's just an idiot. Dude's got the IQ of his teeth.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #13
aka eraser
Fish Whisperer

aka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It was bush - and that's being kind. But the NHL agrees - yay!

He who conquers others is strong. He who conquers himself is mighty. - Lao Tzu
aka eraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:26 AM   #14
KTC

Thanks much for the link. I knew it should have been under that umbrella. I'm glad to hear they put it there. It was disgusting.

I blog

I Tweet

Old 04-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
ModoReese
Bang head here for service

ModoReese is on a distinguished road
Coming late to this topic, but I'm a little surprised no one from the Devils leveled Avery. It would have been worth the penalty, IMO.

Michelle

Hiking Blog: Hip Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Outdoors Blog @ CW: Outdoor-Weblog

Plus check out my Gadgets columns @ Canoe.ca
ModoReese is offline   Reply With Quote