Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > AW Bookclub
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
jennifer75
SupahStah!

jennifer75 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennifer75 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennifer75 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennifer75 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennifer75 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennifer75 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennifer75 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennifer75 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennifer75 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennifer75 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennifer75 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What are you reading?

I can't believe I can't find this thread, is there really no "what are you reading" thread???

I just picked up Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I'm 10 pages in and captivated.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
davids
Banned

davids is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdavids is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdavids is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdavids is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdavids is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdavids is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdavids is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdavids is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdavids is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdavids is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdavids is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Chesty Bum and her Dancing Girls
davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
scarletpeaches
Banned

scarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Beyond Words - John Humphrys

ETA: Toothpaste, I'm still reading your book! I usually have 5 or so on the go at once and just listed the last one I started reading. Halfway through AatWT at the same time, though.

Last edited by scarletpeaches; 08-24-2007 at 11:54 PM.
scarletpeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
Little Red Barn
haz own threads

Little Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Left To Tell -- by Immaculee` Ilibagiza, story about the Rwandan Holocaust
Old 08-24-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
Siddow
I'm super! Thanks for asking

Siddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up three thousand times the memory.

Siddow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
CaroGirl
Living the dream

CaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just finished I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes (which I enjoyed quite a lot and plan to lend out to my friends), and last night began reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I'm not sure what to make of The Road. Who says something is "in" the floor, when they mean "on" the floor? This thoroughly odd construction is pulling me out of the story and driving me crazy (among other things about the narrative).
Old 08-24-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
Will Lavender
Everything is what it seems.

Will Lavender leaves trails of profuse coolnessWill Lavender leaves trails of profuse coolnessWill Lavender leaves trails of profuse coolnessWill Lavender leaves trails of profuse coolnessWill Lavender leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroGirl View Post
I just finished I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes (which I enjoyed quite a lot and plan to lend out to my friends), and last night began reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I'm not sure what to make of The Road. Who says something is "in" the floor, when they mean "on" the floor? This thoroughly odd construction is pulling me out of the story and driving me crazy (among other things about the narrative).
I say "in the floor." Southern dialect.

I'm reading Joshua Ferris's hilarious Then We Came to the End.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:16 AM   #8
Cygnea
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Cygnea is on a distinguished road
Just finished off Empress Orchid by Anchee Min, and am now working on The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George.

Cygnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:31 AM   #9
CaroGirl
Living the dream

CaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Lavender View Post
I say "in the floor." Southern dialect.
Well, thanks. You learn something new almost every day.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:48 AM   #10
acharity
fantabulous!

acharity has a spectacular aura
Surfacing by Margaret Atwood.

Sadly, it's for a lecture, not pleasure ~_~ though it has been enjoyable.

Lately, the profs have been assigning great reads *thumbs up*
Old 08-25-2007, 01:09 AM   #11
Harper K
here's to the girl on the go

Harper K is a shiny, shiny jewelHarper K is a shiny, shiny jewel
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Yeah, my reading does generally tend to lag 2 years behind the rest of the world.

I'm also jumping around to pertinent chapters in Self-Editing For Fiction Writers, which my boss ever so kindly gave to me.

Harper K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:09 AM   #12
maxmordon
You might well think that...

maxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Papillon
maxmordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:00 AM   #13
Sean D. Schaffer
practical experience, FTW

Sean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Slan by A. E. van Vogt.

After that I'm hoping to look into either The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien or The Children of Hurin by the same.
Sean D. Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 AM   #14
carousel

carousel is on a distinguished road
Jodi Piccoult's "Vanishing Acts" and Andy Griffith's "The Cat is Flat on the Mat" but that's being read aloud to my daughter.

Last edited by carousel; 08-27-2007 at 07:27 AM. Reason: typo
carousel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #15
benbradley
It's a doggy dog world

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm reading tonight's FF stories.

I just finished Patricia Wood's "Lottery." I give it five stars. I'd like to talk about the contents, but I don't know where I could - everyone go read it so I don't spoil it for anyone! I read through all her credits/acknowledgements at the end, the only name I recognized was Miss Snark.
benbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:10 AM   #16
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ohh, Ben, I just ordered Lottery!

Give me a couple of days after it arrives, and we'll soooo start a thread about it.

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:02 PM   #17
hitchhiker
Human Torpedo

hitchhiker is on a distinguished road
Catch-22 is my fiction
Flags of our Fathers- James Bradley is my non-fiction
hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:51 AM   #18
Martin Smith

Martin Smith is on a distinguished road
Lord of the Flies. Can't go wrong with a classic.
Martin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:10 AM   #19
Melisande
Death...moving away...

Melisande leaves trails of profuse coolnessMelisande leaves trails of profuse coolnessMelisande leaves trails of profuse coolnessMelisande leaves trails of profuse coolnessMelisande leaves trails of profuse coolness
I just put down The Chameleon, by Sugar Rautbord and am picking up Robert A Heinlein's The Past Through Tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:23 AM   #20
sanssouci

sanssouci is well-respected
The Satanic Verses, for the first time.

I'm loving the narrative voice, but its spastic wordiness continually creeps into my own writing. Not good.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:54 AM   #21
ResearchGuy
Resident Curmudgeon

ResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
1. An Adventurer's Guide to Number Theory, by Richard Friedberg.
2. Catering to Nobody, by Diane Mott Davidson.
3. Dandelion Through the Crack, by Kiyo Sato (officially published today--but delayed by a few weeks getting into trade channels).

--Ken

Last edited by ResearchGuy; 09-03-2007 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Clarified 3
ResearchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:00 AM   #22
sunna

sunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Re-reading Patricia McKillip's Cygnet. Meguet kicks ass.
sunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #23
Kudra
Back and on track

Kudra has a double-platinum reputationKudra has a double-platinum reputationKudra has a double-platinum reputationKudra has a double-platinum reputationKudra has a double-platinum reputationKudra has a double-platinum reputationKudra has a double-platinum reputation
I'm just about to start Villa Incognito by Tom Robbins.

Free E-course: How to Make an Extra $1,000 This Month
Kudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #24
P.H.Delarran
here for a minute...catch me?

P.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I reading a few -but the one that has me engrossed the last few days is the way the crow flies, by Ann Marie MacDonald.
I actually picked it up because the title was all in lower case- and turns out it's very well written.

Absolute Poetry, Vol. 1 - out now

P.H.Delarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #25
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm reading Bill Bryson's Neither Here Nor There and Thinner by Richard Bachman - or Stephen King if you prefer. I've read all the other Bachman books but never got round to Thinner. I'm enjoying it so far.

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote