Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2007, 01:01 AM   #1
Captain Morgan
practical experience, FTW

Captain Morgan is on a distinguished road
Revisiting the past

I opened my drawer today and tucked away in a little envelope
is a rejection slip I received years ago. I've kept it since and looked at it for nostalgia reasons.

I do plan to eventually get that same book published elsewhere, and then when that occurs, I will frame this rejection slip and hang it appropriately on the wall.

It reads--

Dear Author:

Thank you for giving us the chance to read your submission. We are sorry to say that we donít feel it is right for us at this time.

Due to the volume of material we receive, we are unable to reply individually to each author. However, please be assured that your work was given a careful evaluation.

We wish you the best of luck with your writing career; thank you again for thinking of us.

Sincerely,

The Editor
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
Scrawler
Bored fanatic

Scrawler is well-respected
Amazing-- I got 7 rejections with exactly the same wording!
Scrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
johnzakour
Dangerous with a Keyboard

johnzakour has earned our admirationjohnzakour has earned our admirationjohnzakour has earned our admirationjohnzakour has earned our admiration
That's pretty standard. Don't know if it's worth framing when you do sell the novel. I would think you'd be better oiff framing the acceptance letter.

I save all my acceptances from the last 15 years. I don't have much use for rejections.
johnzakour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
Captain Morgan
practical experience, FTW

Captain Morgan is on a distinguished road
Well, this was my FIRST official rejection slip, so that makes this all the more important :P

Actually, that slip came from TOR and since then I have refused to purchase any more of their books as well!

I have one here also from Knopf which reads--

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to read your work. We have read your submission and are sorry to inform you that it is not a likely prospect for Knopf.

We regret that due to the many submissions we receive it is impossible to offer individual comment.

Nevertheless, thank you for considering Knopf and we wish you good luck with another publisher.

Sincerely, The Editors
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Mystic Blossom
My heart's a battleground

Mystic Blossom is a shiny, shiny jewelMystic Blossom is a shiny, shiny jewel
I have my first rejection letter...somewhere. Can't remember XD I used to keep it in my old computer bag, but I don't use that computer anymore, so I have no idea where it is now. I don't know if I'd want to frame that one, since it was so bleak and pretty much negated any chance I'd ever have with that agent. If I did want to frame a rejection letter, it would probably be one of the more promising ones. Hehe.