Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2005, 03:56 AM   #1
hraaja

[Agency] Trident Media Group

I'm verrry new to the world of writing. Can anyone tell me anything, good bad or otherwise, about Trident Media Group in New York City? I got a very quick positive response to a query asking for a proposal and would like a little help on understanding who I am dealing with. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2005, 04:14 AM   #2
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Trident in New York City is top-notch.

Trident in Washington, D.C. is bottom-feeding scum.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #3
dragonjax
I write stuff.

dragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputation
Trident Media Group in NYC

Trident Media Group (Robert Gottlieb's agency) is huge. Their agents range from junior level to the executives, including RG himself and John Silbersack. Completely legitimate agency. They do, however, require submitters to complete a fairly standard waiver (Wizards of the Coast had something similar) when they send in their proposal/partial/full. This is to protect the agency as opposed to hurt the writer. (I know that my first thought when I read the waiver was, "What if they steal my stuff?" Then I realized (A) this is a legitimate agency that doesn't steal ideas, (B) if it did steal ideas, Writer Beware and nearly every other watchdog agency would post about it in screamingly bright colors. I also had a lawyer review the waiver, and he gave it a thumbs up.)

My biggest complaint with TMG: s-l-o-w response time.

If you sign with an agent from TMG, you should do the happy dance. Best of luck!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:42 PM   #4
Robert Walton

Landing an Agent from Trident Media Group is like hitting a Home Run in your first Major League game.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:44 PM   #5
mommie4a
Mother of All Addictions

mommie4a is a candidate for sainthoodmommie4a is a candidate for sainthoodmommie4a is a candidate for sainthoodmommie4a is a candidate for sainthoodmommie4a is a candidate for sainthoodmommie4a is a candidate for sainthoodmommie4a is a candidate for sainthoodmommie4a is a candidate for sainthood
Ditto all the good stuff about Trident. I met someone from there at a conference a couple of years ago and it was big deal that he even came to the conference. Seemed very polished, straightforward, not snooty. Good luck.
mommie4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
DaveKuzminski
Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace

DaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The best agents are generally very approachable because they have to be in order to deal with both writers and editors.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

DaveKuzminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:56 AM   #7
hraaja

Thanks for the feedback. How slow is slow?
Old 03-25-2005, 04:43 AM   #8
dragonjax
I write stuff.

dragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by hraaja
Thanks for the feedback. How slow is slow?
One of the agents has had my full MS, by request, since November 14, 2004. I checked in at the end of January (because I had been told the RT would be 4 - 6 weeks). As of January 28, 2005, they were still considering it. So, let's see, quick count. Tomorrow will be 18 weeks that they've had the full MS.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:54 AM   #9
Ed Williams
Banned

Ed Williams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEd Williams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEd Williams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEd Williams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEd Williams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEd Williams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEd Williams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEd Williams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEd Williams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEd Williams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEd Williams is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Trident has one of my manuscripts...

...as well, and Dave, you will be pleased to know that I researched them on P&E before submitting. They may be a tad slow, but I agree with the earlier assessment that landing an agent with them is like hitting a home run with the bases loaded.

Re the waiver, I had an attorney buddy look at it as well, no probs, at least from his perspective.

Quote:
Kent Dorfman:
Quote:
Excuse me, sir, is this the Delta House?
Bluto: Sure! Come on in.
Ed Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:08 AM   #10
Query Ninja
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Query Ninja is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Hello. I'm new to this site. WOW what a great resource. I had a bad experience with Trident. An agent there contacted ME because he'd read some of my poetry and asked if I was interested in writing a novel. In fact, I had just started one. Sent it to him; loved it. I sent the next installment- similar to the first- his reaction was over the top negative. Something didn't jive. When I completed the entire novel 2 years later, I sent it to him and responded right away, said he was happy to hear from me, would read it and call so we could discuss. I sent it to him on email. Did I ever hear back from him? I sent a follow-up email; same stone-cold silence.

It felt unprofessional and demoralizing to get treated like that.

The novel has passed thru some other top agencies in NY by now and they've all had really positive things to say (I started at the top and am working my way down).

If I ever run into him, Ima smack him upside the head.

Query Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 04:23 PM   #11
Aconite
Gone

Aconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Query Ninja
Hello. I'm new to this site. WOW what a great resource. I had a bad experience with Trident. An agent there contacted ME because he'd read some of my poetry and asked if I was interested in writing a novel.
Query Ninja, it sounds like you dealt with the other Trident. What you've described is not the way a legit agency or agent behaves.
Aconite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:38 PM   #12
Query Ninja

Query Ninja is on a distinguished road
Trident Media Group- 41 Madison, run by Gottlieb. It's the same one. That's why I'm posting a complaint here. I WISH it was another Trident but it wasn't. I would post the name of the agent but that's probably too much.

Query Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:30 AM   #13
dragonjax
I write stuff.

Wow, surprised to hear that.

Update on the "how slow is slow" question: Still nothing from the agent who's had my requested full MS since November 15, 2004. If November 2005 rolls around without any word, maybe I'll send an anniversary card...
Old 07-29-2005, 02:02 AM   #14
childeroland
What happened to my LIFE?!

childeroland is a glorious beacon of lightchilderoland is a glorious beacon of lightchilderoland is a glorious beacon of light
Question

How long is a typical wait with this agency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Williams
...as well, and Dave, you will be pleased to know that I researched them on P&E before submitting. They may be a tad slow, but I agree with the earlier assessment that landing an agent with them is like hitting a home run with the bases loaded.

Re the waiver, I had an attorney buddy look at it as well, no probs, at least from his perspective.

[b]
childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 03:45 AM   #15
dragonjax
I write stuff.

I'm still waiting, although I heard last week from the agent's assistant that my novel was "still under consideration." Which, of course, could mean that the agent hasn't cracked it open yet, or that it's currently being used as a booster seat for a toddler. But it sure as heck means that it hasn't been rejected at this point. So that makes me happy.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:05 AM   #16
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
06-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Puma
Board fanatic

Website Question

Has anyone besides me tried to access Trident Media New York recently and had it lock up their computer? I have not been able to get on their site. I was on it a couple months ago but no go this time. I've tried from P&E and via a Goggle search. Puma
Quote:
06-07-2006, 05:08 PM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

The have a bunch of absolutely useless Java animations all over their page. Try turning off Java and going back.
06-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Caro
Esteemed New Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Query Ninja
I had a bad experience with Trident. An agent there contacted ME because he'd read some of my poetry and asked if I was interested in writing a novel.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience -- but even in an agency with the best of reputations, there's always the possibility of the bad/incompetent agent. Heck, the person who works on the other side of the cubicle wall from me trained with a huge agency out here in LA in their literary division and did spend some time as an assistant/associate agent (according to her).

Given how many of her messes I've had to clean up, how poor her follow-up is, and the generally sloppy level of her work, I'm not surprised she's no longer with them and the very idea of her being anywhere near a manuscript gives me the willies.

Oh, I'd smack 'em up one side the head too if I ran into this guy again.
Quote:
06-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Puma
Board fanatic

Thanks, James, I'll try that. Puma
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:14 AM   #17
Scrawler
Bored fanatic

Scrawler is well-respected
I'm proud to have been rejected by Trident! And even prouder to admit I fully deserved that rejection! Ellen Levine was my first rejection and I could kick myself for sending her such crap -- this was long before I grasped the true concept of editing and revisions. Despite the outcome, my experience with them was professional and they responded in a timely manner.
Scrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:40 AM   #18
writebynight

How soon is too soon?

I am brand new here. :-) I am currently trying to get my husband's book published as a wedding anniversary gift...basically doing all the leg work! :-) It's kind of fun.

I was wondering though when an agency says not to "submit a query to more than one agent at a time" e.g. Trident. How long should a person wait before sending a query to another agent in the same agency? Anyone?
Old 07-08-2006, 02:50 AM   #19
Tilly
practical experience, FTW

Tilly is a glorious beacon of lightTilly is a glorious beacon of lightTilly is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by writebynight
I am brand new here. :-) I am currently trying to get my husband's book published as a wedding anniversary gift...basically doing all the leg work! :-) It's kind of fun.
That's wonderful . But I should warn you that publishing works in geological ages, so it may a few anniversaries before the book gets published. And many books (most, really) never make it that far.

Quote:
I was wondering though when an agency says not to "submit a query to more than one agent at a time" e.g. Trident. How long should a person wait before sending a query to another agent in the same agency? Anyone?
I'd wait until I received a firm yes or no before querying another agent there, rather than after a specific period of time has elapsed.

and best of luck to you.

Last edited by Tilly; 07-08-2006 at 02:57 AM.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:57 AM   #20
writebynight

Thanks

Thanks Tilly. And thanks for the warning. :-) I did get asked for a partial (not by Trident) but whether or not it'll go anywhere is yet to be seen. It's not only been a week since the agent got it. From what I am reading here the response time can not only vary but the agent may never respond esp if it's negative. GEEEEEEES!!!
Old 07-08-2006, 03:08 AM   #21
Tilly

Tilly is a glorious beacon of lightTilly is a glorious beacon of lightTilly is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by writebynight
Thanks Tilly. And thanks for the warning. :-) I did get asked for a partial (not by Trident) but whether or not it'll go anywhere is yet to be seen. It's not only been a week since the agent got it. From what I am reading here the response time can not only vary but the agent may never respond esp if it's negative. GEEEEEEES!!!
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you .

And in my experience agents do send a rejection letter if they aren't interested. I think there may be a few agents out there who don't, but I don't think that's common.

I find a rejection gives you a writerly aura, and the sting is lessened by chocolate.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:19 PM   #22
BarbJ

BarbJ is a glorious beacon of lightBarbJ is a glorious beacon of light
I find a rejection gives you a writerly aura, and the sting is lessened by chocolate.

If my aura gets any more writerly, it will write its own bloody novel. Chocolate, nectar of the gods, solace of the discomfited, focus of the insane.

How long to wait before submitting to another agent at the same house would, I think, depend on the house itself. As I understand it, some share the same first reader, who may have already read it, some share between agents, i.e., "Not for me but you might like this, Joe", some strictly forbid it on their site, and some recommend it. I'm willing to be corrected by the pros, but I feel there's no harm in trying after 4 to 6 months (unless they forbid it and you think you might want to try another novel there at some time) or immediately if they themselves suggest it on their site or have different offices. The worst that can happen is another rejection, which merely means more chocolate to gobble.
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:16 AM   #23
MaryKaye

My enthusiasm for submitting to them is spoiled completely by the web page. You need to find an individual agent to submit to, and the page makes that process excruciatingly slow, especially on Firefox. Some pages come out in 50 point type, some have all the text far off-screen, etc. I am willing to believe they are good agents but they should find a new site designer. My eyes hurt, and I have given up reading through the agent bios after about 15 minutes of frustration.

MaryKaye
Old 08-05-2006, 02:21 AM   #24
Patty Collier

Patty Collier is on a distinguished road
This is so cool. I have just started a journey that I have dreamed of for 40 years. I have been off and on writing chapters to my super novel. I was waiting to retire from my second career when I read about the proposal for an agent I drafted a summary and sent to Trident this Tuesday and I got a call back today, Friday, from the agents assistant. I know that doesn't mean anything but I feel like I am in a dream. She has emailed me a release form. I was concerned but after I read the above I will definitely sign and pray. Thanks for letting me eaves drop. The information is great.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:24 AM   #25
clara bow
Li'l Rug Bug

clara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for President
good luck, Patty! I'm waiting for a reply from Trident, too, so let's keep our fingers crossed together!
clara bow is offline   Reply With Quote