"America's not ready for a black/woman president"...

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
"so my vote would be wasted"

this is what i hear from so many people, how do you respond to someone who says that?

i need some good ways to counter it.

thank you

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i'd probably just opt for "you're a fucking idiot".

but then i'm not the most tactful person.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
yea this is for friends and family.

lol.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Opinionated garbage is best answered with facts. According to a poll I saw (I think it was yesterday--okay, my memory stinks) on CNN Internet, Either Dem candidate would beat McCain and another headline was they were tied. If America wasn't ready for Obama or Clinton to be president, then how could this be? True, we have to take polls with a huge grain of salt, but it's one indicator.

Plus, I confess I don't understand "America's not ready for black/female president" philosophy. One WILL win the Dem candidacy. Since Dems are a part of America, the speaker is very close to being proved wrong.

Another thing I like to do to opinionated statements like that is to ask questions: where do they get that fact? WHY do they think America's not ready?

Come January, my bet is we'll have a black president.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
"America's not ready for a black/woman president"...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"so my vote would be wasted"

this is what i hear from so many people, how do you respond to someone who says that?

i need some good ways to counter it.

Perhaps coaxing them into realizing their own error will help.

Can women/blacks drive cars? Can they fly airplanes? Can they be astronauts? Can women/blacks run corporations?

What, in particular, about running the country are women/blacks incapable of doing?

Hopefully that will cause them enough reflection that they'll see their own issues.

That said, as I have said often, I don't consider Hillary worthy of my vote. I might go with Obama, but I'm still on the fence.

How 'bout Condi Rice for president? She's a woman and black, plus she seems smarter than the whole pack running right now.

Vote Rice!

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would just tell them to vote for a white man no matter what. For some reason I can't explain, it seems to shut everybody up.

Oh. And I never stay for dinner.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I'm with Mr. Haskins on this one, friends, family, whatever. But I'm not much on tact, either.

If you have the right to vote, you have the responsibility to do so.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you could say, if America isn't ready for a black man president or a white woman president, how about a black woman president?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
A stunned expression followed by the words, "You VOTE?" should do it. Shame them into the polls, where they'll hopefully vote Republican. :D

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Just say: "America's not ready? Or is it that you're not ready?" Then shake your head and walk away.

Kunery

Registered
Reaction score
You might try to explain that their vote is "wasted" (in the sense of "pointless, useless, and a complete waste of time") in any event. So they shouldn't worry overmuch about the issue.

Instead, they might well worry about the implications of living in a society where untold millions of people truly imagine they have some effect on public policy by voting. That's scary!

Sending letters to the Easter Bunny; or flagellating, fasting, and praying; or thinking warm and positive thoughts about human brotherhood -- yeah, sure: what harm could it do? But voting??? Wow. . .

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
yes most of these people would be republicans but they are disgusted with bush and the war in iraq.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Republican America isn't ready for it.

The GOP right might not be ready, but I had a party Thursday night and one guy, a card carrying repub, was talking positively about Obama. He was unsure of McCain, and he said McCain was bound to commit a major gaffe soon to ruin his shot.

Obama represents a change in the democrat party from the Clinton mold. He might carry some middle-road gop votes. Then again, McCain represents a change to the middle for the gop, too.