Hurricane Ophelia heading towards UK, Ireland

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Via CBS News

LONDON -- Hurricane Ophelia has been upgraded to a Category 3 storm, the U.S. National Hurricane Center (NHC) said late Saturday morning.

Ophelia, the sixth major hurricane of the 2017 season, was moving at 25 mph northeast with maximum sustained winds of 115 mph, the service said.

Ireland's Met Eireann weather service issued a "status red" warning for the western Irish counties of Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork and Kerry. It said Ophelia could bring winds of 50 mph and gusts of more than 80 mph on Monday, with the potential for structural damage, high seas and flooding.

I've read Medieval accounts of major storms knocking down trees and destroying buildings in Ireland, and I remember the 1987 storm, but this is somethng else again.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sheesh. Everybody please have a go bag packed in case you need to get out fast, and stock what you need at home in case you're stranded. Be safe, that's number one.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Wow, this is shaping up to be a really terrible year for weather catastrophes.

Be careful everyone. And yes to the go bag and emergency kits. For folks near the coast, have an escape plan, especially if you have kids or pets or other dependents or neighbors/friends etc. who need extra time and planning to get out safely.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Technically, a hurricane is a storm formed in tropical waters, which Ophelia was. The U.K. and Ireland get hit with really big storms, including hurricane-force winds, every now and then, but most of these form in the North Atlantic, and are not technically hurricanes. It's pretty unusual for a true tropical hurricane to be carried so far north. Ocean warming, anyone?

caw

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
In the 1970s, they taught "ecology" in school. We were warned about pollution and the new concept of recycling, I think, and something they didn't call global warming but was. They showed us a short film that seemed as ridiculous as the anti-drug films (not quite Reefer Madness, but close). I remember a man suiting up in a hazmat-type suit and helmet and venturing out of his bunker into a barren wasteland. I am starting to consider the creator of that film was a damn prophet.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
This is going to impact the west coast of Ireland most. School buses have been cancelled there tomorrow

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I live on the west coast of Ireland. Ophelia will be a "tropical storm" rather than a hurricane by the time it reaches landfall (expected wind speeds of about 80kph or 50 mph). There's been no talk of evacuating anyone. Sandbags have been distributed in flood-prone areas, people are being advised to avoid unnecessary travel (I've arranged to work from home), and some schools have been closed. The supermarket was busier than usual today (5-litre water bottles being one of the most popular items) but no sense of panic.

Last edited:

autumnleaf

Registered
Reaction score
9:30am in Galway, and it's very calm. The crows gathered up, made a huge racket, and flew off en masse, which was rather eerie.

A friend of mine has brought her chickens into the house. Hope she's put plenty of newspaper on the floor.

Several businesses have opened up their premises for homeless people, including Tallaght Adventure World in Dublin.

This isn't actually the first hurricane to ever hit Ireland. Hurricane Debbie whacked us in 1961, killing 18 people. There was a "Night of the Big Wind" in January 1839, estimated to have been a category 3 hurricane; at least 500 lives were lost, possibly more as record-keeping in rural areas would have been very poor. But yes, it's pretty rare.

autumnleaf

Registered
Reaction score
12:30 in Galway. Wind speed picking up, rain has started, trees are swaying a bit, but nothing out of the ordinary so far.

autumnleaf

Registered
Reaction score
15:30 in Galway. Weather pretty wild. Lots of my namesake blowing around, a few small twigs as well. 2 people reported dead from fallen trees.

School's may be closed tomorrow as well, depending on damage and power cuts. My nephews will be happy.

Still have power here, but I'm putting on the kettle now just in case. Can't be without my tea :Coffee:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
15:00Z - 43Km/h in Galway, 96Km/h in Waterford (highest @ landfall)

Montreal Meteo Center (link)

-cb

Last edited:

autumnleaf

Registered
Reaction score
18:30 in Galway and everything seems calm again. South coast seems to have been hit the worst. 3 confirmed dead. Schools closed again tomorrow -- nephews will be happy, sister-in-law not so much.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear there were fatalities. I was hoping it would have weakened enough and people had prepared enough that it would blow over.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear there were fatalities. I was hoping it would have weakened enough and people had prepared enough that it would blow over.
Sounds like the people nearly escaped unscathed, compared to some places.
Hard to prepare for a tree falling on you, your car or your house. :scared:
Especially if you get winds a lot stronger than the local trees are accustomed to.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
2100Z - winds are between 40 and 65 Km/h inland Ireland and Scotland. Isle of Man registers peeks at 78 Km/h.

-cb

autumnleaf

Registered
Reaction score
I imagine the death toll would have been much higher if warnings hadn't been given. A lot of schools and businesses closed down, so there were fewer people outside. Unfortunately, some people didn't have that choice (one woman who died was a nurse, probably on her way to work).

RIP to those who lost their lives. Kudos to those in the Meteorological Services who gave the warnings, to emergency service who helped out at risk to themselves, and to businesses and charities who sheltered the homeless during the storm.