how weird can I get?

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I'll try to keep this brief...I recently resurrected an old novel that I really like, but which I think is a bit too zany in its current state. It's literary fiction, mostly realist with some absurdist undertones, and one central plotline in the original draft involves a custody dispute over a dachshund, complete with character witnesses. Basically I need a way to reunite three washed-up former sitcom stars--one of the actors cons his costars into coming to San Francisco, under the guise of producing a play with them, when in fact he wants them to testify in the trial--and I need to bring his relationship with his dog into the forefront for plot purposes. Can the reader suspend their disbelief for something like that? Is it possible to earn, or do I need to come up with an alternative? I'm really stuck with this and feel kind of ridiculous!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand -- what part needs suspension of disbelief?

flowerburgers

Registered
Reaction score
Is it plausible (or at least possible) that there would be a custody dispute over a dachshund with character witnesses? Is my problem solved?! I thought that premise was totally absurd.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
This happens all the time. I don't know how often people bring character witnesses, like actual bodies, but given how contentious it gets, wouldn't throw me.

People have custody arrangements with visitation, support payments, etc. worked out over animals in court.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Heh. if you don't know, you don't know -- that's what the forum's here for. Sorry, didn't mean it to come off like that; I just think of it as so common, and it's been going on for a long time that it threw me.

Here's some extra info for you.

Chicago, IL, February 12, 2014 – More than a quarter of the respondents to a recent survey of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) have noted an increase in pet custody cases during the past five years...

Overall, 27% of the AAML respondents noticed an increase in the number of couples who have fought over the custody of a pet during the past five years. While dogs and cats represented the two animals most commonly battled for, the choice “other” came in third at 6% and horses galloped to fourth with a 1% total. In terms of the most unusual animals handled during a pet dispute, some of the AAML attorneys listed: an iguana, python, African grey parrot, and even a giant 130-pound turtle...

The latter article has links at the bottom to a bunch of journal articles, by lawyers, about animal custody issues, so you'll probably find even more specifics there, should you want them.

flowerburgers

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check out those links :) I'm so relieved! I could not for the life of me come up with an alternative that worked as well as the custody dispute.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Oh also this, go Alaska!

an amendment to Alaska’s divorce statutes, which took effect last week, is making waves in the world of animal law. It makes Alaska the first state in the country to require courts to take “into consideration the well-being of the animal” and to explicitly empower judges to assign joint custody of pets. In a blog post, the Animal Legal Defense Fund called the well-being provision “groundbreaking and unique.”

“It is significant,” said David Favre, a Michigan State University law professor who specializes in animal law. “For the first time, a state has specifically said that a companion animal has visibility in a divorce proceeding beyond that of property — that the court may award custody on the basis of what is best for the dog, not the human owners.”

As animals’ social status has evolved, courts nationwide have struggled with the pets-as-property idea, said Kathy Hessler, director of the Animal Law Clinic at Lewis and Clark College in Portland, Ore. The parties involved often want decisions on custody, visitation and even monetary support for a pet, she said. But existing statues that guide such matters are designed to address children, not animals (which some courts think is just fine, at least in Canada)...

The Alaska amendment was sponsored by former representative Liz Vazquez (R) and the late representative Max Gruenberg, a Democrat and family lawyer who told the Associated Press in 2015 that he’d once handled a divorce that resulted in joint custody of a sled dog team.

“Our pets are members of our families,” Vazquez, who lost her bid for reelection in November, said in a statement last year. “We have to remember that we’re sent here to Juneau to represent people; real human beings, many of whom have pets they love as much as their friends and family.”

The Alaska bill also allows courts to include pets in domestic violence protective orders and requires the owners of pets seized in cruelty or neglect cases to cover the cost of their shelter.

Theodore Koukouvitis

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a solid plot to me!

When I clicked this thread, I was expecting weird stuff as in Italo Calvino's "If on a winter's night a traveler". Your story is unusual, but not weird or unbelievable, I think.

Mr. Cornflake covered all the technical details thoroughly already.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
I could believe the dachshund. If you wanted me not to believe it, you'd probably have to pick a goldfish--although somewhere, I bet there's been a case over that too.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I love the whole idea. It sounds brilliant. Go for it. I love writing that shows the really quirky side of humans.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I could believe the dachshund. If you wanted me not to believe it, you'd probably have to pick a goldfish--although somewhere, I bet there's been a case over that too.

Yeah, you can believe the dachshund, but cats ... the little b@stards are all liars. You can't believe a word they say.

ironmikezero

Registered
Reaction score
(Psst . . . Never underestimate the Machiavellian minds of cats. Felines were once worshiped as gods by man--and cats have never forgotten . . .)

Gonzo Jack

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to believe you can write anything strange. Bent, absurd, unusual - if you do it well enough then bent, absurd and unusual readers will appear. How about a custody battle over the Cheshire Cat?

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to believe you can write anything strange. Bent, absurd, unusual - if you do it well enough then bent, absurd and unusual readers will appear.

I agree, but I bet with strange stories that are done well enough to be believable, it would be the synopsis that would be tough. I always think things that come out as believable in the story sound unbelievable in a synopsis.

CJ

Gonzo Jack

Registered
Reaction score
I agree, but I bet with strange stories that are done well enough to be believable, it would be the synopsis that would be tough. I always think things that come out as believable in the story sound unbelievable in a synopsis.

CJ
So true, both Synopsis and query. Especially the query. I'm going through this stage now.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I think as long as this court case is happening in the state of California, Florida, or in New York City, no one will question the authenticity of crazed, affluent people arguing over the custody rights of ANYTHING.

Stephen Palmer

Registered
Reaction score
The trick with absurdist writing is to get the reader hooked as soon as possible whilst never letting up the craziness.
It takes remarkably little time for a reader to suspend disbelief and go with the flow, however absurd. However, the writer also has to suspend disbelief...

Gonzo Jack

Registered
Reaction score
:hooray:
The trick with absurdist writing is to get the reader hooked as soon as possible whilst never letting up the craziness.
It takes remarkably little time for a reader to suspend disbelief and go with the flow, however absurd. However, the writer also has to suspend disbelief...

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I can't speak to literary fiction, but I know this works well in comedies -- Seven cars stop at the site of an accident to discover the driver has hidden money somewhere in LA and race each other to get there first (It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World) or Gentleman meet young woman who leads him from one escapade to another (What's Up, Doc). Again, taking normal people and putting them in surreal situations, but the audience follows along because once you accept the premise of the absurd situation, everything else seems to make sense.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
The OP didn't present an absurd or surreal situation though -- it's a common one.