Spacebar not Working when Posting on AW

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This is something that started happening a few days ago. I've had three reports.
It's only happening to members using Google Chrome's browser on Windows.

• It's a bug in the latest release of Google's Chrome browser (for Windows; I haven't tested other versions yet) that specifically affects vBulletin.
  • It only happens if you use Quick Reply.

Two work arounds using Chrome:
  1. After using Quick Reply click the Go Advance option.
  2. After using Quick Reply, position your cursor ABOVE the quoted text.

You can use another browser. There's a potential work around involving a site-wide change to JavaScript that I may try.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to this post and the not-so-nasty expertise driving it, when the above happened to me, I didn't rush out and purchase a new laptop. :greenie. Thanks for the quick fixes. :snoopy:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Is this related to the problems people were having pasting excerpts into AW and losing spaces? This was happening back in early June when I was running the Beta Project. I saw some instances in QLH afterwards, but haven't seen any lately.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
This has been happening to me too when I post quick replies. I have a desktop machine and my laptop, both of which run Chrome, and it has happened on both. It only happens occasionally though, as I've used Quick Reply for most of my posts today and haven't had any problems.

Thanks for the update on this, as I was wondering if it was just me. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so. My guess is that if you haven't been seing it again, people smartened up and copypasted it into Notepad first, and into AW from there.

My guess would be that if that was the case, we'd still be seeing the problem from people who never pasted excerpts to AW before or who forgot.

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
My spacebar seems to only be affected when I'm replying with a quote. Using quick reply without quotes seems to be fine.

In the moment, I found I could just go back and edit in the spaces, even though it wouldn't let me put them in as I was typing. So apparently putting space between characters was fine, but putting a space at the end of a string of characters wasn't? Heh.

I often go advanced when replying with quotes anyway, just to check and make sure formatting is okay, so this doesn't affect me too much, fortunately.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
My spacebar seems to only be affected when I'm replying with a quote. Using quick reply without quotes seems to be fine.
I found a funky workaround. It seems that the spacebar only fails (when it fails) when the space is attempted as the last character being types. Thus, when the spacebar stops functioning (it's functioning in this particular reply), put a false character at the end of your post. Type everything before that character. So I type an x, then type everything before the x.

So far, that's worked every time.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Is this related to the problems people were having pasting excerpts into AW and losing spaces? This was happening back in early June when I was running the Beta Project. I saw some instances in QLH afterwards, but haven't seen any lately.

No; this is a new issue introduced by Google; vBulletin knows about it.

That was related to the editor option users were using.

Status
Not open for further replies.