Head of the Secret Service. What to call him?

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good title for the 'head of the secret service' in a fantasy setting. The character's role in court is roughly equivalent to that of Lord Walsingham for Elizabeth I but he was 'Principal Secretary' which is not a very evocative title. 'Spymaster General' or similar feels rather blatant. This is an unofficial role but one that everyone knows he holds, so I could do with a 'job title' that acknowledges it in a slightly sideways or 'doublespeak' sort of way. I'm racking my brains... any ideas?

Shivari

Registered
Reaction score
Tricky one.

But thinking about spying, good covers for spies in the field would include being a merchant, a cartographer or a travelling minstrel of troubadour.

If you want a slightly jokey flavour to the unofficial job title, what about Minister of Minstrels?

Trademaster general?

Master of Maps?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
A kitchen-y title like Head Pie Chef. Always sticking his fingers rudely into other people's pies. He takes the job seriously and inspects the kitchen every day. Whenever he finds spies lurking there and puts them in pies and returns them to their masters.

-Derek

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A simple title like "Special Advisor" or something similar might do the trick.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Tricky one.

But thinking about spying, good covers for spies in the field would include being a merchant, a cartographer or a travelling minstrel of troubadour.

If you want a slightly jokey flavour to the unofficial job title, what about Minister of Minstrels?

Trademaster general?

Master of Maps?

It's not a particularly light hearted or humorous story unfortunately because those are good suggestions. Master of Maps could possibly work.

A kitchen-y title like Head Pie Chef. Always sticking his fingers rudely into other people's pies. He takes the job seriously and inspects the kitchen every day. Whenever he finds spies lurking there and puts them in pies and returns them to their masters.

-Derek

Lol. I like it. If I ever make a similar story that's humorous I'll definitely consider it. However, this character's about as funny as being smashed in the face with a brick.

A simple title like "Special Advisor" or something similar might do the trick.
I like it!

Director of Internal(External?) Security?
'Director' makes it rather modern sounding, or is that just me?

Thanks for your input everyone!

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Minister of Discretion, or the Prudent Advisor, or the Secretary Cryptic?

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
The British Secret Service go in for single letters, M in Bond's case, C (for Control) in the Le Carre novels... how about just a single letter which could stand for anything you needed it to stand for?

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
Privy Secretary, or something from one of those two roots.

A Secretary is One Who Keeps Secrets, and Privy is about Someone Who Shares In The Knowledge Of Something Private...

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good title for the 'head of the secret service' in a fantasy setting. The character's role in court is roughly equivalent to that of Lord Walsingham for Elizabeth I but he was 'Principal Secretary' which is not a very evocative title. 'Spymaster General' or similar feels rather blatant. This is an unofficial role but one that everyone knows he holds, so I could do with a 'job title' that acknowledges it in a slightly sideways or 'doublespeak' sort of way. I'm racking my brains... any ideas?
The most secretive title of all would be no title, wouldn't it? A spymaster that no one knows even exists could be pretty darn secret.

I've always liked titles with more of a philosophical bent to them. Like, from Game of Thrones. "The Hand of The King." But I haven't thought one up for this situation.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
The most secretive title of all would be no title, wouldn't it? A spymaster that no one knows even exists could be pretty darn secret.

That would get my vote. I'm not sure that a spymaster would want to have an evocative title. Of course, the people around him would call him all manner of names, but whispered under their breaths. In Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare called Tybalt "the prince of cats". Not an official title, to be sure, but very memorable.

Shivari

Registered
Reaction score
In Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare called Tybalt "the prince of cats". Not an official title, to be sure, but very memorable.
How about "The Hidden Paw"?

Oh damn - TS Eliot beat me to it.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Privy Secretary, or something from one of those two roots.

A Secretary is One Who Keeps Secrets, and Privy is about Someone Who Shares In The Knowledge Of Something Private...
I considered some use of privy (Thomas Cromwell was Lord Privy Seal and Principal Secretary) but thought it might cause confusion among some readers. Maybe I'm committing that sin of underestimating the reader!

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Running with the idea of titles that are not titles I could just call him That Bastard...

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
While he might hold an honorary title (Assistant Minister of the Exchequer) to explain why he's around the palace and how he gets paid, his unofficial title could be something like "The King's Shadow" or something evocative if he needs a title at all.

- - - Updated - - -

How about "The Hidden Paw"?

Oh damn - TS Eliot beat me to it.

Damn that Macavity.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
What about "The Overseer"? Or something along the lines of "The Royal Overseer", "The Majesty's Overseer" or "The Overseer General"?

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, seriously, don't you just hate it when people have your idea before you?

Try writing cominc fantasy and having an idea that Terry Pratchett hasn't already had...

In answer to the OP's question, in one of my WIPs I have a "Bureau for compliance" which is nicely ambiguous, could you do something along the lines of "Minister for compliance"?

Last edited:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Riffing off of Guinan's introduction on Star Trek (I tend bar, and I listen.), maybe something to do with ears or hearing or listening.

Crown Recorder?

Who's he?
That's Jehosaphat. He's the Crown's Recorder.
What does he record?
Everything.