The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, whittled down to 275 now (according to Twitter post). I wonder if rejections are sent right away or not.

Cat R. mentioned a common theme, too: wings.

Mine has a wing or two. Interesting....

I noticed that! Mine doesn't have wings, but normally do. My normal imagery involves wings and cats, but I went out of my comfort zone for this one. :tongue

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Good to see all the productivity, and wishing success to all the women out to destroy fantasy.

I've spent the past two days copywriting and am already in withdrawal from fiction. I did get a start on rewriting the fantasy story a Sh*mmery editor sent many comments on. I've started a new file of story ideas that I add to as I'm researching paid stuff.

One of my favorite stories came back and I'm holding it for the editor I think it fits best who already has something of mine. In waiting mode on 11 stories. Have one flash almost ready to send out and another to revise.

Aislinn -- What matters is you're submitting regularly, and getting published. My top-down rankings are eclectic and not strictly pay-based. One pro site I won't name is such a mess visually that I haven't subbed anything there. A few places that pay at semi-pro rates are so excellent I'd be ecstatic to be accepted by them. You're smart to focus on fit.

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
I've had an article accepted but now I'm really struggling to write a story, the deadline for which is in a few weeks.

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
I've had an article accepted but now I'm really struggling to write a story, the deadline for which is in a few weeks.

Good luck with it, Koschei. I'm in a similar situation with my serial. I finally got my second acceptance and then I was like, "Okay, now I have to write more chapters..." I think I'm looking good on that now, though.

And good luck to everyone subbing to the WDF issue.

Hopefully everyone's success runs into April.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't frequented this area. I haven't submitted much lately because of school. But, as of right this moment, I am currently attempting to "destroy fantasy" per Lightspeed's special issue. Story is sent. We shall see what comes of it. Due date today, for anyone else interested:

http://www.fantasy-magazine.com/site-message/women-destroy-fantasy-special-issue/

Hey there CB - Nice to see you over here. I haven't been around too much lately. I'm spending too much time not writing as it is, but glad to see you're still sending stories out!

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Hiyas Eliza! Good to hear from you. Sorry things are busy. You're getting ready for a big trip soon, though. (grin)

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't make my word count goal this week, but I got one story finished and another story almost finished. I usually take Saturday off of writing, but I might try to get it done. I've also started my annual writing pilgrimage for Sword and Sorceress. I love her form rejections if nothing else :)

How is everyone else doing?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Still fighting allergies, but taking an hour or two to try and knock a serious chunk off the remainder of the novella. (So close to 20k and I'd really like to have it mostly finished by Monday.)

Waiting on multiple subs. A few that have been out for a while, a few that are right in the slush-kill zone.

Aggy, why does this feel like a Monday?

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Despite some personal stuff last month, I managed to get two stories done (not edited though) and my latest novel up to scratch and out the door. Feel like having April off. But I won't.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I got actual writing done today!

Polished and submitted two flash stories I wrote for the Codex Weekend Warrior contest earlier this year. Of the 5 flash stories written for that contest, two have sold to SFWA markets, one became a much longer story and is on submission, and now the remaining two are on submission as well.

Eli Hinze

Snuggler of Cats & Writer of Things
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elihinze.wordpress.com
Finally finished my short story! TwT
Edited it a billion, (okay, only 8), times, put it through multiple beta readers, etc. Now, onto submissions! A scary step, considering I'm not at all familiar with the short story market, but hey, gotta go at it sometime!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Finally finished my short story! TwT
Edited it a billion, (okay, only 8), times, put it through multiple beta readers, etc. Now, onto submissions! A scary step, considering I'm not at all familiar with the short story market, but hey, gotta go at it sometime!
Hooray for being ready to sub! :hooray:

There's a Short Fiction Markets sticky at the top of the Short Fiction forum that might help you there (both with market and general stuff).

Short story subbing is pretty easy, really, compared to novel-length work. Always read the sub guidelines a few times, keep the cover letter simple, & don't forget to attach the story :)

Anyone know what's up with As1mov's? They were down to 3 or 4 days and now I've got a 30 day sub still unopened... Le sigh.
Maybe your story got put straight on the Editor-in-Chief's desk, and is awaiting her perusal :D

ETA: Also, snoopy dances for everyone else. Y'all seem to be chugging along pretty nicely! :snoopy:

Last edited:

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know what's up with As1mov's? They were down to 3 or 4 days and now I've got a 30 day sub still unopened... Le sigh.

I have a similar thing going on at EQMM. Just gotta hope a first reader kind of liked it but neglected to update the submissions database..? Le sigh just about covers it...

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com

Right there with you, Vignettes TOC mate. My 31-day sub there is still in received status.

Eli -- Congrats! Go for it. Warning -- it's addictive. :)

Just finished my 6th story since I started my daily fiction writing challenge 5 days ago. Having a blast with this. Wrote this one on the beach in view of seals.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Batspan - that's impressive. I probably couldn't manage one story in that time, let alone six.

I'm finally getting better. I can edit stuff now, so I've been focusing on getting all the rejections that came in sorted. Some I'm sending straight out again, but there are a couple of older ones that I think I can improve. I had sent one story to a couple of places that always give some personal feedback - unfortunately, they gave completely opposite feedback.

Discovered a story I had subbed to Tor.com never made it, which sucks, but I sent it off again anyway and this time I know they got it. Now I can forget about it again for another nine months.

It's nice to be moderately functional again.

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Tamlyn --
Glad you're on the mend. Good you found out about the story and have it back out.

I've written another contemporary fantasy each day. I don't think I've ever written this much short fiction in one month, let alone in a few days.

Got the idea from the latest issue of Randy Ingersolman's newsletter -- a challenge to write at least 500 words of new fiction every day no matter what. It clicked. I don't have a link on hand -- in case I spelled the name wrong, if anyone wants to find his site, search for the "snowflake guy." His fiction outlining method is the snowflake.

Thanks to years of cranking out copy, I can blast out 500 words, and as he suggests, once started, it's easy to keep going, so some of these are full-length stories.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to years of cranking out copy, I can blast out 500 words, and as he suggests, once started, it's easy to keep going, so some of these are full-length stories.

Very inspiring. I might have to try this.

Tamlyn, I'm glad you're feeling better. Bummer about the Tor story. I guess you queried in the end? I have a 4 black hole stories out there at the moment (all well over 3 months) but I got email confirmation for each of them at the time of submission, so I've just been waiting... and waiting...

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, has anybody written to Electric Spec before? Do they send any kind of confirmation email?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I've never received a confirmation email from them. Bear in mind, though, that i haven't subbed to them for a fair while.

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
It's the last day to submit to Women Destroy Horror (they extended the deadline, I think) but I finally got a story in: a psychotic little fairy tale. Don't know that it will get anywhere, but it's story I've been meaning to write for a while now so this was as good an excuse as any.

Talk about last minute...

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
So. I've been trying to get some work done on the novella every day. Last night I broke the 23k mark (Yay!), but there's still almost as much "story" still to write as there was 3k ago. (Thanks to a new subplot and further character development these scenes are not just whipping by.)

I suspect that the story I told the agent would probably by 25-30k is going to be more like 40k.

Aggy, there are worse problems to have