Blind Persons POV

am_lemons

alley_may
Registered
Reaction score
I am not blind, but the character in the novel I am currently planning on writing is, and I'm not neccessarily sure how to go about writing it. Is there anything I should know or look into about people who are legally blind?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I did that, I decided to spend several hours blindfolded and not allowing myself to take it off. I stayed in the house, but attempted to do things as normal--though I didn't try to cook.

What I tried to focus on (once my frustration subsided) was what I was aware of. How did I perceive the world? What was it like to function, to do normal, simple things like brushing my teeth or making my bed?

My grandfather was legally blind the last 7 years of his life and he was able to function normally, but he was far more careful about doing some things (kitchen, knives, etc) things than he had been before. His step slowed when he was moving in unfamiliar areas. Certain things became routine so he didn't have to search (like what side the TP hung down on, where the soap/toothpaste/whatever was placed).

I found the experimentation to be highly successful, because then I could write about my own experiences. Though I never finished the novel, the commentary I got about that character was extremely encouraging.

Good luck to you.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You ask that same basic question this morning and got a number of replies.

Is there a specific reason for starting a new thread?

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
You ask that same basic question this morning and got a number of replies.

Is there a specific reason for starting a new thread?

Probably my fault--I suggested she post in here for those who hang around this thread. ;)

[I rarely go in the Basic Writing Questions forum myself. Just happened in there yesterday!]

That cat is glaring at me!! Make it stop!! :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Probably my fault--I suggested she post in here for those who hang around this thread. ;)

[I rarely go in the Basic Writing Questions forum myself. Just happened in there yesterday!]

That cat is glaring at me!! Make it stop!! :)
Ah, I see. I was just wondering. I thought perhaps the OP had forgotten her earlier post.

Carry on . . .

*glare, glare, glare*

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
I"m legally blind, even though I don't talk about it much. And my response here will be pretty brief because putting into words how to write a blind character is hard (I am legally blind and my only attempt at a blind character was awful). But some basics you should know:

1. Do NOT make your character too dependent on others. A common misconception is that blind people need help with everything, and this is very not true. In the words of a completely blind friend of mine "blind people can do anything besides driving and performing certain types of brain surgery." If its part of daily life, there is a way for a blind person to do it. Finding that method or technology may take research on your part, but trust me, being accurate will save you a lot of grief. I am not part of it really, but active members of the blind community do get REALLY angry when blind people are portrayed as weak in books - to a point where even I, as a blind person, think it gets ridiculous how much they overreact. But as long as you make sure your character is independent and capable, you'll be fine.

2. Walking around your own house for a while with a blind fold will help you see what a NEWLY blind person feels, but not a person who has been blind very long. When blind folded, I can navigate my house, go to the mailbox, find clothes - and identify them based on cloth, and, yes, even do some cooking. Even though I'm not completely blind, because I am used to functioning with low vision, this isn't a task. However, when my fully visual best friend was blindfolded, she could barely find the bathroom, let alone be very functional. So the comparison is kind of hard to make there. However, if your character just recently went blind, that's a good comparison.

3. April Henry just wrote a book called Girl, Stolen. The main character is blind, and April had me read it early to see how accurate it was. Its dead on. Before writing, she contacted several mobility instructors who work with blind people. If you can, I'd do that, too. Get in touch with a school for the blind, ask to talk to a teacher or a mobility instructor (especailly a mobility instructor - they are essential to travel for blind people) and ask for recommendations for where else to research. I'd also look at catalogs for assistive technology to see what is available to a blind person.

Thats all I can offer. Wow, not so brief after all. I really, really hope that helps you. I know is a lot, and I know it seems complicated. I'm not even brave enough to try writing a blind character again. But I wish you all the best of luck!

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My husband's legally blind. The answer's going to depend on your book of course, but my first thoughts would be these:

- The little every day things are a bigger frustration to him than the larger issue. That he can't see faces, has never seen a star, has never driven a car are disappointing to some degree, but it's actually stuff like people parking across sidewalks and curb cuts, splitting his head open on cabinet doors left ajar, people congregating in doorways, etc. that make him nuts. Because things like these happen all the time- he doesn't get a break from it.

- Many people who are legally blind might have vastly variable vision depending on conditions, especially lighting. A person with shape or color perception in some kinds of light might be completely blind in others. Glare or darkness might also render someone who typically has a *fair* amount of usable vision 100% blind (or close to it). Also, there are people who are legally blind who actually have 20/20 vision, or close to it. They just have very small visual fields. If your character is legally blind, you'll have an easier time if you identify in what way first, and then you can get the nuances down better. It can be tricky, too. Eleven years together, I often don't know what my husband can see.

- Please don't give your character enhanced other senses (especially hearing). But, you can still have them hear things others don't. The difference is what a person is paying attention to, not any actual physical enhancement. It's like going to bed at night with music playing. When the lights are out, after a few minutes, the music starts to sound louder in the absense of visual stimulus. You're also more likely to hear things like clocks ticking that you miss during the day.

- There's a lot of very cool braille technology happening. If your character is a braille reader, there's lots to look at there.

I hope any of that helps.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If I were you I'd spend some time with a blind person through volunteering or interview. You can probably call your local Association for the Blind. Talking face to face and observing would be invaluable.
I love the idea of being blindfolded for part of a day.

I became blind in my right eye after unsuccessful cataract surgery and it really sucked. I can only imagine how much harder it would be to be completely blind, particularly if your character loses her sight.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've known some who were legally blind who functioned on a much higher level than the only person I know who's totally blind. It must be similar to hard-of-hearing versus totally deaf. I was progressively HOH for three decades but the last ten years of being totally deaf have been far different, much more difficult.

Going blindfolded for even a day or two would be a lot like plugging one's ears -- a taste of blindness, as said, but nothing like being immersed in a completely sightless environment (I'm told).

A not-so-funny experience: My left eye was being operated on. I was conscious to lip-read right-eyed and communicate with my surgeon. Iodine or whatever red stuff was accidentally poured into my good eye, and I was virtually blind, as well as deaf.

My girlfriend had to scrub and come in to fingerspell into my hand á la Helen Keller. It was the longest two-hour operation and six more in recovery until I could see like an eye-patched pirate. Since then, I have greatly feared going blind.

I would love to read a good blind protagonist novel. Ignore the people who will say, "Quit making a big deal of the protagonist's condition: He or she is just a regular person who happens to be blind." Living blind must be every bit as different (and then some) as being deaf.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
A not-so-funny experience: My left eye was being operated on. I was conscious to lip-read right-eyed and communicate with my surgeon. Iodine or whatever red stuff was accidentally poured into my good eye, and I was virtually blind, as well as deaf.

My girlfriend had to scrub and come in to fingerspell into my hand á la Helen Keller. It was the longest two-hour operation and six more in recovery until I could see like an eye-patched pirate. Since then, I have greatly feared going blind.

What a nightmare! I was awake during my cataract surgery. I tried to do it w/o anesthesia. The surgeon was having trouble and he kept getting more flustered. When he said to the nurse, "I don't know what to do. What should I do."--I asked for the anesthesia. Pronto.
At least I can see out of my left eye. Did you get your vision back? My right eye vision looks like I'm seeing through waxed paper. I have to have a corneal transplant if there's no more improvement. I find out in Feb.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a nightmare! Did you get your vision back?

Ditto your nightmare. My first cataract operation was a bust, resulting in worse vision afterward. Your description of seeing through waxed paper was close. My present ophthalmologist twisted my arm until I gave in to a re-try. My new Alcon Labs implant put me back to 20/20, so my bad eye is now my better eye.

I wish you all the best for your operation next month.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
I've known a blind person or two and came away with a couple interesting observations. One guy went everywhere, (especially when out on the sidewalk/streets), listening to tunes on his ipod. So much for the stereotype of being aware of surroundings/enhanced hearing. He also "watched" a lot of TV.

But on the other hand, this guy and another I knew, would turn up the speed on their computer reader so fast that it was incomprehensible to any sighted person, but they could understand it because they were used to it.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am not blind, but the character in the novel I am currently planning on writing is, and I'm not neccessarily sure how to go about writing it. Is there anything I should know or look into about people who are legally blind?

A lot of it would depend on if your character is totally blind (no light perception at all) or other degrees of it up to legally blind, which does not mean "blind" but a certain mimimum degree of low vision that can't be corrected with glasses and/or limited visual field. Often it's not even apparent to the casual observer that someone is legally blind. Also, it would make a difference whether it was from birth or acquired. As others have said, low vision and blindness websites would be helpful, as would blindfolding yourself.

- Blind people do rely on their other senses more than sighted people do. They might know the different footstep patterns of people they're familiar with and be more aware of people's different scents.

- They have their own adaptive techniques. They might fold their money a certain way, a different corner bent down for each type of bill.

- I've known two blind guys who were fascinated with driving. Not sure if it's common or just coincidence. One finally talked somebody into letting him drive her car around in an empty parking lot (with her beside him). The other, a teenager, got drunk and drove his mom's car but wrecked it while still in the driveway.

- Low vision kids can often be left out of the group with other kids. There's also a tendency for adults to over-protect and resulting learned helplessness. In general, they tend to be more used to interacting with adults than other kids.

- Blind people hate it when someone takes control of their hands, which sighted people (teachers) tend to do. It would be the equivalent of someone grabbing a sighted person's face and directing them in the direction they want their eyes to go to.

- Especially at the older elementary and older years, they often are sensitive about being seen as different and won't use their adaptive devices, like telescopes, CCTV, magnifiers.

- Low vision people can be unable to see at all in dimmer light, such as at dusk. They see brightly colored objects (red) best. Glare is a big problem.

- Low vision or blind, alarmingly, does not always mean cautious with their movements such as in traffic, with children and teens anyway.

- Low vision people often need eye rests, such as closing eyes and putting head down on desk for a few minutes. Close up tasks like reading or brailling can be tiring.

-Someone who is born blind will most often have other disabilities as well.

Also, you could try to find a blind or low vision person to beta read your story for you, through your state school for the blind or other such organization. It may give you more ideas to watch or read other stories with blind main characters. The Ray Charles story, and Scent of a Woman, for example.

Good luck!

Last edited:

chuckgalle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chuckgalle.com
I am an actor who has played blind characters twice. Blindfold yourself for as long as you can take it each day. Just go about your routine. You will be amazed at how well you know your surroundings. Have a friend walk with you blindfolded through a mall, or wearing cheapo glasses with painted lenses. You will learn to trust your friend's direction, how to to keep the friend from be overly officious. If you use the galsses make some purchases, feel how clerks treat you. Then you can write a good deal from you know.

blackrose602

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blackrose602.wordpress.com
I agree with others that so much depends on the level of blindness and how long the person has been blind. Spending time blindfolded is a pretty common acting exercise, so I've done it several times with different classes. The biggest takeaway I got from that is how tentative everyone is. Suddenly losing your sight can make you extremely hesitant to do even the simplest things. From what I understand, people who suddenly go completely blind have to spend a long adjustment period relearning how to do almost everything.

On the other hand, people who lose their sight over time sort of adapt as they go along. My 90 yo grandmother's eyesight has gotten progressively worse over the decades, and a few years ago she completely lost vision in her right eye. Yet she still drove until about a year ago, she still reads voraciously, does crossword puzzles...you'd really never know how bad her vision actually is.

Of course, the longer you've been blind, the more it just becomes a part of who you are, and the better you are at just living life. I had the opportunity to spend a good bit of time with Ray Charles over a May weekend in 1984, when we were both award recipients at an American Academy of Achievement ceremony. Of course I wasn't privy to the personal details of how he arranged his money or where he kept the toothpaste, but in just day to day personal interactions, it was easy to simply forget that he was blind. So I can't speak for the blind person's POV, but I do caution you not to make the blindness what defines the character. Ray Charles was a fascinating conversationalist with a wonderful quick wit, a charmer, full of positive energy, extremely encouraging to my eight-year-old self, and a jaw-droppingly talented performer...who happened to be blind. He wasn't a blind man that happened to be talented. See the distinction?

stuckupmyownera

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
I read a YA novel back in the 90s from the point of view of a blind kid. It was a great book, and very well done.

'Into the Dark', by Nicholas Wilde.

Deleted member 42

If you mean "legally blind," that is someone with some visual acuity even though it simply be that the person can tell light from dark, you might try wearing very dark/light protecting sunglasses indoors all the time.

As noted, whether it's degenerative (gets worse with age or time) or from birth or early childhood, and the kind of vision loss makes a huge difference.

There are light-perception issues, and there are field-of-vision issues, for instance.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What I find most interesting is the response of others when they encounter someone with a visual impairment. The varied reactions can be fascinating. In writing a book about a visually impaired character, you've got an interesting lot to play with in the people around her.

IRL, many people are helpful, but not as many as who want to be because they're afraid to ask or think might say the wrong thing. Also, many people are helpful in well-meaning, but not in actually-so-helpful ways. For instance, holding the door open for someone who's visually impaired without explaining that you're there, or that you're holding the door open, is actually just confusing for the person trying to find the door where they think it should be.

Before I met my husband, I'd already gained a lot of experience guiding people in the community through my work. On trains and busses, people always sprang up to offer my student or client a seat. When Jeff and I traveled together, the same thing would happen. It wasn't until we'd been together a few months that Jeff told me he was almost never offered a seat when he commutted alone. This made no sense to me until I realized that I was the wild card. I could see who did or didn't get up. A blind person traveling alone, not so much.

The problem isn't lack of interest for the most part. People are generally interested but uncomfortable approaching someone who can't make eye contact. When I thought about it, I realized that very few people had ever offered a seat directly to my client or student, or to Jeff. They'd always offered it through me. We humans are really big on eye contact.

On the flip side, my husband's got an aunt who's also legally blind (it's a family thing). And, dear Auntie is one flying bitch from hell. Seriously, she's made well-seasoned Boston cocktail waitresses refuse to return to the table (the family keeps us seperated because you only get to make me cry ONCE and then it's show time... really, she's a piece of work), but she almost never gets called on her shit. That white stick keeps people just a little too uncomfortable to toss her out or even tell her that what she's saying is absolutely unacceptable. It's fascinating.

There's more there. Just a few thoughts.

Last edited:

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I remember when I was working in a restaurant as a hostess this couple would always come in. A guy and his wife. His wife was completely blind. Whenever she had to use the bathroom her husband would have me check the ladies room to make sure it was empty before he took her in there. Not because his wife was blind but because it was just easier to help alone than to have to explain to anyone why he had to help his wife.

Also my own misconception so maybe it would help with some of your other characters or something. I thought that if you were completely blind you sort of automatically got a seeing eye dog. I think it stayed with me until high school.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Read Evan Hunter's, Streets of Gold. His protagonist is a blind jazz player. It's a tremendous read particularly it's ability to take you inside a blind person's persceptions and experiences.

I believe the character was blind from birth.