Would it be too much to ask...

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like this idea a lot. I would encourage either a summary paragraph, or, if you pick several statements, using an ellipsis.

Yep, as well as what the Thrillster has suggested, to wit: add some commentary of your own, potential OP's, please and thanks.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, proper message board etiquette is ...

A link.

A clip from the story.

A comment from the thread starter aka OP...
I thought that was more like an unspoken rule around here, and not just board etiquette.

I usually get the feeling when only a link is provided that the OP is waiting to see how the wind blows before offering any commentary. Playing it safe, so to speak.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
oh. and if somebody could kick off one of those week-long fight to the death shitstorms, i would appreciate it.

Reaction score
I thought that was more like an unspoken rule around here, and not just board etiquette.

I usually get the feeling when only a link is provided that the OP is waiting to see how the wind blows before offering any commentary. Playing it safe, so to speak.

Agreed.

Or just want to start a ruckus so they can sit back and watch the show.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
oh. and if somebody could kick off one of those week-long fight to the death shitstorms, i would appreciate it.
Good point. It's been a while.

*goes off to peruse a few news sites...*

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Random link with no context

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Or just want to start a ruckus so they can sit back and watch the show.
That, too.

You know, since the mods in this room are always looking for more work to do, we can request that they take action and lock any thread that appears with only a link minus any commentary or even a token snippet from the article. It won't take long for members to take the hint and expand upon the reasons why they offered the links in the first place.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That, too.

You know, since the mods in this room are always looking for more work to do, we can request that they take action and lock any thread that appears with only a link minus any commentary or even a token snippet from the article. It won't take long for members to take the hint and expand upon the reasons why they offered the links in the first place.

I take my payment in top-shelf tequila, and nothing else.

Except, perhaps, snickerdoodles. So overtime like that's gonna cost folks. Just sayin'.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...that posters paste a paragraph or so from news stories instead of just a link and a line of oblique commentary?

it seems to be happening a lot more lately.

Couldn't agree more. Thank you. . . .

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
no thanks necessary. like most superheroes, the satisfaction lies in the good i do for humanity.

Unsolicited advice: watch the Krypton, stay away from open windows, and given your height and age, it's probably not a good time to take up open hunter on horseback. . . .

And yes, I know it's all in extremely bad taste. I suppose I could have left it at God loves you. . . .