The Edit that Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebennet68

Avoids editing by procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Finally out of the slump I was in. I actually revised twenty pages worth between last night and this morning. Now, as a reward, I get to work on the WIP for a few hours!!

Sassy3421

Plotting murder..most of the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
great job Ebennet! I've fallen off the edit wagon (I know cliche analogy...) But I've stepped back to take a bit of a well-deserved break. Presently I'm reading through the novel I completed just a month ago now and will revisit my first mystery for edits. ...at least that's the plan unless I can't shut off the voices and need to write another right away....

StandJustSo

Registered
Reaction score
Can I jump in? I'm working on the final draft/edit of my first novel, and I've been having a bitch of a time. I've changed some aspects of the story, which has a domino effect, but although I'm nearly over the 'hump' I'm just struggling.

Any motivation is a help, believe me!

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
You can do it, StandJustSo!

I sprinkle magic motivation powder on your head. :e2fairy: :e2BIC:

Nicole

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
yes!! Namatu! I plan on getting back to it - latest Monday. I have to finish reading the first draft from my last novel first...then I'm picking up where I left off with my first mystery

kyliesmiley16

Registered
Reaction score
Meeee! Me too! Let me join in :tongue

I finished the first draft of my MS in October! Edited the first few chapters... then jumped straight to MS 2! :rolleyes I'm on break for a month, and I must, must go back to my editing! I actually want to. I just can't, er, start. :tongue

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
kyliesmiley16 - for myself starting is the hardest part...and then keeping at it...and then completing it....lol....but what I do love is the end result. (it somehow seems easier to write the first draft because that can be done anywhere...edits, for myself, anyway need to be keyed in at a table..so rigid) anyway, that's where I'm at today. time to start keying...

and I definitely appreciate the need for a break too. it can only benefit your work to step back a bit - BUT COME BACK TO IT! :)

kyliesmiley16

Registered
Reaction score
and I definitely appreciate the need for a break too. it can only benefit your work to step back a bit - BUT COME BACK TO IT! :)

No, no! I mean, I'm on my break from uni at the moment. Which means no studies... which means time for writing. And I've got a month before I go back, so I should be getting as much writing and editing done as I can before then :tongue I *hate* taking breaks from writing! It kills! :tongue

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
oh....

well I hate taking breaks, but I find I need to step back sometimes....or I become obsessive about a certain passage (ex. the first 5 pages) until I go crazy. Hey! but good news, I believe they're "perfect" now :) aaah....but I needed to step back.

well happy writing :) and successful editing!

ebennet68

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't checked in on this thread in a while so I thought I might today. I decided to let the one book sit for a while that I was attempting to revise, even put the lovely WIP that I've enjoyed working on so much and return my attention to my first completed novel. I took time to read it over and although I love the story, I just wasn't satisfied with it and I knew it could be better. As soon as I sat down to work on it and only it, the revision seemed to flow so much better. In the past ten days, I've finished revising eight chapters already, added a few new scenes and can't wait to get back to it tomorrow. So, what I'm trying to say is that the key for me is to work on only one thing at a time. I'll take a break from this one for a couple of weeks when I'm done with it and do the new story, but I don't think I'm going to try and revise anything else until this one is as polished and as ready as it needs to be to be submitted. So, as far as revising, I've gone through approximately 20K words in the past ten days. Not too shabby.

ebennet68

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. Got another chapter done today. It was one that needed the first half to be rewritten because of a change I made earlier in revising. It was a lot of work but I'm very pleased with the results. With every round of revision, (This is my third pass), I'm learning more and more about the craft and the story is really growing and looking better. This is one of those good days when I love being a writer.

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
ebennet68 I'm experiencing the same reprieve today. I feel great! And I have faith in my first mystery as making it somewhere...I really do. Not sure how to quantify what I accomplished today but I made some entries and I know I've grown a lot since I first wrote it.

I remember reading on a post here at AW that you can't expect to be the best writer overnight. All talents and crafts have to be learned, and expanded upon. You can't just wake up one day and decide you're going to be a doctor. same with writing well, you have to learn, grow, achieve...each day we apply ourselves we get closer to reacher our goals.

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
okay, "Happy Canada day!" lol, means a day off work, paid - bonus. And on top of it, it means I have time to write....and I mean...EDIT

Hoping to key everything in and finish up this run through on my first mystery today. don't really see it being a problem. it's only 11am and I have about 37 pgs. just hoping my printer holds out for me (it needs a drum)....

Sassy3421

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
oh, and if anyone is following this thread anymore, I did it! I have the print out sitting on my desk ready for binding....and the process will commence yet again....

ebennet68

Registered
Reaction score
I've revised 19 chapters in the last three weeks. It's still going well.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
oh, and if anyone is following this thread anymore, I did it! I have the print out sitting on my desk ready for binding....and the process will commence yet again....
Woo! :e2cookie:

I'm not editing right now. Trying to kick myself into writing something new, but so distracted. Ooh, cookies. :e2cookie: See?

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Editing sucks b***s! I hate it!
And it's the only thing that will land me an agent and a contract, dammit!

Eh, slowly going along, don't mind me...

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
LMAO Eddyz! I felt that way so many times

My head is spinning every time I finish a batch of edits. Like honestly, why did no one invent some foolproof program that edits the works for you?

Joking of course :)D) but sometimes I wish for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.