Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Yet more rules of writing, this time from my long-time co-author:

1. Never trash your out-takes. (See the adventure of the five chapter nines.) You never know when that scene you removed from the first draft because it didn’t work might turn out to be the precise scene that’s needed in the third draft to fix something else.

2. Don’t worry if you’re not a published-at-eighteen barely-postadolescent prodigy. Blooming young is for poets and mathematicians; novelists are in it for the long haul, and the more life experience you have, the better.

3. Know your own hesitation marks and makeweight-words, so that you can search for them in the second and third drafts and eliminate or fine-tune them ruthlessly. (My first-draft brain has an excessive fondness for “just” and “only”; my co-author, for some reason, has a thing for “swirling” in the early drafts of action sequences.)

4. Learn languages, if you can; there’s nothing like a second language to give you a handle on seeing the world in more than one way. If your brain isn’t wired up to learn languages easily, don’t sweat it; history and anthropology are other handles on the same thing.

5. Corollary to the above: there are worse things for a writer to do than to get a traditional liberal-arts education. The good thing about a traditional liberal-arts education is that you can do pretty much all of it on your own with the aid of a library and some reading lists. And, these days, of course, the internet.

6. Don’t fetishize your tools. If you get too attached to working in a notebook in longhand, you’ll have the devil’s own time switching to a keyboard; if you fall too much in love with keyboarding, you’ll be in bad shape if carpal tunnel syndrome forces you to switch to using speech-recognition software instead. In fact, the fewer fixed habits you associate with your writing, the better, because life changes things on us all the time.

7. Listen to real people talking, as much as you can. That way, when you go to write dialog, all your characters won’t speak in the same voice. What this means: Eavesdrop shamelessly whenever you’re out in public. (Remember not to look towards the conversation you’re eavesdropping on. It’s a dead giveaway, and “I’m a writer, honest, I’m just working on refining my craft!” isn’t going to get you very far if you’re spotted.)

8. Don’t expect to get rich doing this, or famous either. (The typical working writer has a lifestyle far closer to that of the Prophet Chuck on Supernatural than to that of Rick Castle.) If the work isn’t its own reward, you’re probably not meant to be doing it in the first place.

9. Be kind and polite to your readers, even if they sometimes drive you nuts. Remember, they’re reading your stuff when they don’t have to, in a world that puts never-ending demands on their time and attention. Even if they don’t like what you’re written, and say so at length, they’ve still given your words weight. Disagreement and dislike and passionate argument aren’t what matters in this trade; it’s indifference that kills.

10. No matter how great the temptation, never ever ever respond in public to a personal attack or a bad review or an accusation of wrongthinking. (Accusations of actual wrongdoing are iffier — but in my opinion, anyhow, if the accusation is serious enough to require a response then that’s what lawyers and agents are for.) Complain mightily to your friends all you want; scream and rant in private journal posts if you must; but stuff a sock in your mouth and sit on your typing fingers before saying anything out loud where the general public can see or hear it.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Uncle Jim, I'm a voracious reader of history, have read enough anthropology to get by, and have been known to read textbooks in the sciences for fun and education. I appreciate the fact you say that history and anthropology can substitute, somewhat, for the lack of learning a second language (I know a smattering of Chinese, Russian, Spanish, and Japanese, but not enough to ask for directions in any of them).

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
As Ken MacLeod says, "History is the trade secret of science fiction."

I spent most of today researching the Holy Rood of Bromholm. Which may make an appearance in the next Crossman story. Or maybe not.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Uncle Jim,

I'm still in that "newbie", early stage of writing to where I'm affected by what I read. I mean far more than just ideas or characters. I mean things like actual style or craft. I'm not sure if this is all in my head or not; I don't think it is though. For example, I typically write in third (mostly third limited). If I read a lot of books in first person, my POV (or writing) feels less close or more forced, I guess. It doesn't flow or feel the right way some of the time. Something is just off about it.

And something like that happening isn't a first for me. It's usually POV that's the problem area but my style gets affected too. (Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst).

Some of the genres that I read are, essentially, dominated by first POV. So, if I want to read more in the genre, I'll, more likely than not, have to read some books in first person. Well, more books in first person.

Anyway, is there any way I can read and learn how to better my craft without being so focused or wrapped up in the book, I either "forget" how I write or I subconsciously try to imitate way too much of the style I saw? I hope I'm making sense. If not, I can try and explain it further.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Uncle Jim, my copies of "The Oxford Encyclopedia of Military History", "History of the United States Marine Corps", "A Brief History of Medieval Warfare", "The American Indian Wars", "The Encyclopedia of the Ancient World", "A War Like No Other", "Greek and Roman Naval Warfare", "We Were Soldiers Once And Young", "Blackhawk Down", "The Ten Thousand Day War", "Chickenhawks", and several others are as well-thumbed as was my copy of "The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana" (before it was accidentally destroyed).

You don't even want to see my shelf of books on entomology and insects or the stack of research papers I read when I was writing and revising my book "Hatchings".

My library includes books on chemistry, physics, anthropology, radio astronomy, radio antennas, CSI, forensics, astronomy, entomology, writing (of course), human psychology and behavior, martial arts, guns, swords, and more.

My library used to be bigger... And I still have a huge amount of books still stuffed in boxes from over a year ago.

Writers research material all, of course.

:)

holy_shiitake

KB1VWJ
Registered
Reaction score
Uncle Jim, just a note: I'm a ham radio operator, and I got into the hobby partly because it's a wonderful way to hear lots of different kinds of people talking about their lives! You don't need a ham license to listen, and there are a few websites you can go on and stream from the radio bands. It's really helped my ear for what "real" dialogue sounds like, from the Cambridge-educated Englishman to the good ol' boy from Alabama who still works his daddy's tractor. Of course, if you do get a license, it's a great way to get to know people from all over the world, but it's totally not necessary. (I'm always happy to direct curious people who wish to learn more, though!)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Silver-Midnight. there's nothing unusual in taking on elements of what you've read and seeing it come out in your own writing. Everything you've ever seen or done or read is part of the ingredient cupboard where you mix up your own stories. The solution is to a) read more, and b) write more.

I'd suggest reading well-regarded books, so the habits you pick up are good ones.

By the time your second drafts are done the influences of what you'd read most recently when you wrote it will have faded, replaced by your more recent reading.

Your subconscious isn't under your control, so don't try. I expect that one of the causes of writers' block is making the attempt. Instead, feed your subconscious healthful foods and exercise it frequently.

Your writing should get stronger.

===========

Greg, that sounds very much like my own library. Carry on!

===========

Holy Shiitake -- writers are all observers. We're the ones who not only hear, but perceive.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Silver-Midnight. there's nothing unusual in taking on elements of what you've read and seeing it come out in your own writing. Everything you've ever seen or done or read is part of the ingredient cupboard where you mix up your own stories. The solution is to a) read more, and b) write more.

I'd suggest reading well-regarded books, so the habits you pick up are good ones.

By the time your second drafts are done the influences of what you'd read most recently when you wrote it will have faded, replaced by your more recent reading.

Your subconscious isn't under your control, so don't try. I expect that one of the causes of writers' block is making the attempt. Instead, feed your subconscious healthful foods and exercise it frequently.

Your writing should get stronger.

Okay, thanks. It's just my third person feels....off right now. I don't know if it's because of the story itself, which it very could be, or what. I want to try to finish it because I want to get in the habit of finishing things for one and two, I've already written so much of it that it would feel good to write "The End".

I would BS my way through it, like I did before, but I really think part of me doesn't care about it. I don't know if that just because I'm frustrated at the moment or I'm looking forward to starting something else or what the issue might be.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You know our Bad Blood novels?

They were written in third person, then re-written into first person at the second-draft stage.

You can re-write your book from first to third, from close to omniscient, any number of times, to see which works better.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score

They were written in third person, then re-written into first person at the second-draft stage.

You can re-write your book from first to third, from close to omniscient, any number of times, to see which works better.

I was debating whether or not to try a different POV. I can try omniscient I guess; that can be a start. I'm kind of leery of first person, not because I don't like it or anything. I just don't think I can write in it. Too much of myself goes into the character in first person, in my opinion anyway.

Thank you so much.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Last edited:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
On pov

Even if you're writing in third person, it can be very helpful to rewrite parts of the book in first in order to tap into your character's thoughts.

I find first person too restrictive. It's too difficult to mix first person with other points of view, and without others it's very hard to introduce any significant subtext.

stray

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamesnewmanfiction.blogspot.com
Unlce Jim,
I write and work a day job as a teacher in a school in Bangkok, Thailand. Today I noticed a copy of School of Wizardry by yourself and Doyle published in Thai language in one of my classroom bookshelves. Just thinking about how the foreign rights work. Do you see much return on foreign language rights? Do some works get translated without the author being made aware. Royalties?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Stray, that particular series was translated into a ton of languages (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Hungarian, Spanish, Norwegian, German, French, Italian, Hebrew, etc. etc.) Royalties depend on the contract; but usually the income from foreign rights is split with the original publisher 50:50, and markets outside of the US are only a fraction of the US market.

It adds up, but the royalties that come to the author from each language are generally smaller in total dollar amount than the English royalties.

Purely out of curiosity, how is the translation? Does it read well?

Griffin Hayes

One evil little baby step at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Great advice. I particularly like the point about not trashing scenes that were cut out from earlier drafts. Sure you might find that they need to be put back in, but I've also found I can sometimes use that scene (after some tweaking of course) in a completely different piece or as a spinoff idea for a short story. When Native Indians made a kill they would use every bit of it for something. Sometimes writers need to do the same.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
There's a Bimbo on the Cover of my Book

There's a bimbo on the cover of my book!
There's a bimbo on the cover of my book!
She is blonde and she is sexy;
She is nowhere in the text. She
Is a bimbo on the cover of the book!
Minor brag: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/06/sci-fi-fantasy-books-summer-2012/?pid=7342&viewall=true

Nora Jemisin and Myke Cole were Viable Paradise students and John Scalzi was a VP instructor.

Go, buy their books.

Great moments in English spelling (this from Dr. Seuss):

"The tough coughed as he ploughed the dough."

Last edited:

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
Without more info, I can't tell if I hate that prologue or if the genre just bores me...

The flow was painfully choppy, requiring several rereads, and the pov was unclear in the first few paragraphs. Worse, the prose was haughty, as if it were from a snobbier era where the lay audience was not as capable of grasping the arcane as the narrator is.

Neither the note nor the essay nor the manuscript appears in this prologue to the narrative, but the first paragraph leads me to expect discussion of a note, or perhaps it was an essay, and preferably the body of said note should soon follow.

Three characters are introduced - we know the doctor wrote something, the woman spy died but was probably of little use anyway, and the narrator is cryptic.

AND, now I realize post #2000 is NOT the most recent one in this thread... *grumble* Gimme a sec to catch up.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Three characters are introduced - we know the doctor wrote something, the woman spy died but was probably of little use anyway, and the narrator is cryptic.

You'll be happy to know that neither the doctor, nor the (dead) woman, nor the narrator show up in the novel that follows that prologue.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Uncle Jim,

I'm in the process of tearing apart yours and Dr. D's short story Ecdysis to see how you did it. It was the inspiration for a short I wrote for the Secret Santa thing here at AW and now I want to see the innards of what you did so I can learn from it.

Do you have any advice (in general or specific to the story) to offer on how to do that? I'm still trying to get a feel for how to dissect a story/novel to see what makes it tick and thought this was especially good for my exercise because I have the author within reach.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You can start by listing the characters and their functions, where they first appear and where they last appear.

Or, you can start by identifying the parts of the story: Introduction, body, and climax.

Lots of ways to start.

You've seen me do enough analyses of stories in here: One thing I look at is number of sentences in a paragraph, number of words in a sentence, and which words hold positions of power.

Or, you could ask "What is the author's intention?"

(For those playing at home, "Ecdysis" is available both as a stand-alone, and as part of a collection.)

Last edited: