• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Help me re-word this sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a sentence in my current WIP that I just realized is very close to the actual title to someone's book! LOL!

Here is my sentence:

"It's not working out between us. She wants to be exclusive, and I’m just not that into her."

And here is the title of that book:

He's Just Not That Into You

LOL! It's funny how your subconsious picks up on things without you realizing it. . . .
icon6.gif

So anyway, can anyone think of another way I can re-word the second part of that sentence to get that same sentiment across?

:roll:

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
"It's not working out between us. She wants to be exclusive, and I’m more into the redhead who brought us our fries at the diner when she told me this."

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! That's good, but I guess I shoulda set the scene a little.

The 17 yr. old boy that is saying this is telling it to a girl who is secretely crushing on him, and he is secretely crushing on her, too.

icon10.gif

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
LOL! That's good, but I guess I shoulda set the scene a little.

The 17 yr. old boy that is saying this is telling it to a girl who is secretely crushing on him, and he is secretely crushing on her, too.

icon10.gif

If it's what your character wants to say, I think you could make it work. You could even reference the book, briefly, to acknowledge it. Like your MC says that line, and someone else says "Isn't that a book"

I dunno don't mind me, I'm just here to brighten the room! *puts daisies on the wall*

Ciera_

"... just not that into <pronoun>" is a common enough phrase. When I read it, I definitely don't think of the book or movie or whatever. I'd leave it just the way it is, to be honest.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
"It's not working out between us. She wants to be exclusive, and I’m just not interested."

"It's not working out between us. She wants to be exclusive, and I’m just not that crazy about her."

"It's not working out between us. She wants to be exclusive, and I’m just not liking where this is going."

"It's not working out between us. She wants to be exclusive, and I’m just not in love with her."

Aschenbach

Moral Marjorie
Registered
Reaction score
"She wants to be exclusive."
"Is that what you want?"
Pause.
"No."

:eek:

Jerry B. Flory

under the Milky Way
Registered
Reaction score
I like the way your original sentence works. It's not uncommon for book titles to be...not necessarily cliche, but common phrasings.
If on of your characters says "put it on the stand." Is it going to bother you that you just used two Stephen King titles in one sentence?

MagicMan

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Jerry, use what you have. If someone comments on the title, which will probably never happen, just take the credit for the inspiring that author. lol.

Smiles
Bob

laidback

Registered
Reaction score
I like your original sentence as is. I wouldn't worry about the book title which is based on a common phrase.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yeah...it doesn't matter if it's close to a title...use what you have. Doesn't matter.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Kewl! THANK YOU, everyone, for all the help!

:Sun:

Danthia

That phrase has been around a while. I remember it from an old Sex and City episode from yeas ago, and I doubt it was new then.

If that's what your character would say, use it. Who cares if it happens to be a title right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.