What Distractions Can You Not Write With?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis J. Smith

Witty User Title.
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone has things that irritate them. Some, like me, more than others. But what distractions prevent you from writing altogether or abruptly interrupt your writing noticeably enough? For example, if someone has the TV on downstairs loud enough that I can hear it upstairs, there's no way I can write unless the fan can drown the noise out (and it's not too cold in the house to cool it down more by turning a fan on). Same goes for conversations. My attention shifts to listening to both and I can't help it. Maybe it's because I, as a writer, want to hear as many conversations as possible to allow me to write more natural dialogue, or maybe not. I'm posting this because I've wanted to work on revising my novel for about a week now, but one particularly bad irritance has been around the whole time, preventing me from getting anything done.

Reaction score
Children being anywhere in the vicinity.

My bitchwhore neighbour playing her music again.

I can write under pretty much any circumstance with varying degrees of success; the neighbour-noise kills all creativity stone dead though.

Travis J. Smith

Witty User Title.
Registered
Reaction score
Children being anywhere in the vicinity.
Children can be a joy when you want to deal with them and when you're familiar with them, but when you can't put names to their faces and when you to be left alone, especially by them, they're definitely a deterrence. The neighbors, whose yard starts where our "yard" (a small patch of land barely big enough to fit a casket under, that ends at the bottom of the small slope where their yard begins) ends, has a trampoline in that yard and their kids, as well as multiple other kids, join in to make a racket on the trampoline quite often. All of this happens more or less right outside my window, too. Good thing it's getting too cold and snowy for that now.

October

Fueled by Ramen
Registered
Reaction score
I cannot work with the TV making noise, but I can't work with it off, so I have to have it on mute. I also can't work in complete silence, so I have the radio on low, too, but, if one of my favorites songs is on, I can't work either, because I get distracted.

I'm not very picky or complicated at all. Can you tell?

eLfwriter

Indiscriminate Tree-Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
AW does a pretty good job of distracting me most days ... :D

Mostly s'all good. I've learned to tune out a lot of noise (splegh, I had to, I write a lot of stuff on the back of my school notes and classes are noisy. Teachers want you to listen for some reason ...) But sometimes my friends all barge over with popcorn and movies that have Orlando Bloom starring in them ... and then the writing sort of goes down the tubes in favor of Orli action and buttered popcorn. Yummy.

Travis J. Smith

Witty User Title.
Registered
Reaction score
I also can't work in complete silence, so I have the radio on low, too, but, if one of my favorites songs is on, I can't work either, because I get distracted.
I'm kind of like that, but it depends on if there's any additional noise that could be potentially distracting. Though my fan or air conditioner (in the summer) are often on when I'm reading or sleeping, because I like a nice, consistent noise, not silence or anything that's too up-and-down, like the radio you use. Quite alike and quite different, we are, eh, October?

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
Life is full of distractions. If you are sensitive to everything, you'll never get any workd done. With practice I've learned to tune out most noise. I work in an open plan office full of people who talk and type, with phones and faxes ringing,traffic noise from the street, etc. When I'm concentrating people can walk right up to me and make me jump. All the noise is still there, I just shove it in the background of my mind.

Basically, I notice the noise and decide I'm not going to let it distract me. Every time I hear it, I repeat that message "this does not distract me from working." and I focus again. It did take a while to learn.

Meanwhile, maybe you can invest in some noise cancelling headphones?

mrockwell

Just another genre hack
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsheilarockwell.com
I can't write while listening to music, unless it's instrumental. Even then it can be a distraction. I've never been able to understand writers who have a playlist for their novels.

TV and kids don't bug me -- if they did, I'd never get any writing done, since one or the other (usually both) are always at top volume around here! :)

-- Marcy

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
I live in a high decibel house. It only has three rooms, no walls to separate the rooms, and no doors, except the bathroom, which has both walls and a door. And my mother and father are pretty much deaf. The television/radio/whatever has to be at top volume for them to enjoy. That makes my school aged siblings scream over the noise while they play games of pretend and prance back and forth behind my computer chair. I have to wear ear plugs to protect my ears from normal every day sounds. So writing only comes during the sibs school hours, or sometime after one in the morning.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can write to any sort of music except rap music. Rap and hip-hop lyrics worm their way into my brain so I can't think of my own words.

I can write surrounded by maniacs and screeching kids on the bus, but for some reason all the beige walls and depressing filing cabinets and false cheer at the office distract me to the point that I can't write at all.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Screaming. I don't like it when people are watching gritty detective things, with torture victims screaming all the time. Not only does it cause physical pain, as my ears are sensitive, but my natural instincts are telling me I should go help the screamer. The fact I know they're only acting doesn't help the instinct thing.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I usually prefer quiet, and background music will drive me insane. But I can handle the television being on as long as it's something mundane, like the weather channel. I'm also very productive during televised football games. I really wish I could write in coffee shops, but the overhead music and hum of conversations sets my teeth on edge and I can't concentrate. Sigh. I'm going to keep trying, though.

Reaction score
Ah yes, mscelina - you just reminded me of another distraction.
Rabbits.jpg

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Dirty dishes or other disorganization. Drives me nuts. It's why I don't work in the "office," which unofficially belongs to my husband and is a total disaster.

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
I probably don't belong in this thread because nothing distracts me. I can zone out like nothing.

Carry on...

Elwolf

Rabbit! Hunting Mode.
Registered
Reaction score
When the television is on, I always get distracted. When the news is on, well, I don't really pay any attention to the news. But TV is my biggest distraction. Other than that, I can write during anything. Even a bomb, although I haven't tried that yet. I wonder if I could. Hmmmm.

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
People interrupting me. I get settled in, start writing, really get going, then I hear "Michael, go feed the dogs!" "Let the cats out!" "Come change this light bulb!" "Get the cats inside!" "Feed the cats!" "Take in the flag, it's going to rain!"

:Headbang:

Sure, the rent is cheap but living at home can be a real pain.

A.L. Wright

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pottersister666.livejournal.com
I can write with the television on or off, but I can't write if the volume is at a level where all I can hear is mumbling. It either has to be loud enough that I can hear the conversations or shut off completely. I can also handle people talking around me for the most part, but there are certain voice pitches that distract me. And this might seem really nitpicky, but I can't stand it when people whisper using drawn-out, hissing S's. It drives me nuts.

Yeah, I'm weird.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I can work through TV, radio, kid noise. Dogs in the neighborhood barking at nothing, no problem. Crazy neighbors mowing the lawn, lighting off firecrackers, racing up and down my street, no problem.

Put me in a quiet room and I'll go crazy trying to work or write.
Put me in a quiet room with people talking quietly amongst themselves and you may as well send me off to the loony bin, I'll get nothing accomplished anyway.

I guess I need my merry chaos to keep me sane and productive

Status
Not open for further replies.