What's the last thing you researched for writing purposes?

adinaluca

getting there
Registered
Reaction score
What is immoral about eugenics. Arguments pro and con genetic modifications of humans.

Reactions: Tocotin

adinaluca

getting there
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on size. Most dogs, as others have said, could probably keep up, but if it's a small breed: a lapdog or short legged, could it not be carried? If not by the rider, then in a basket or such, attached to the saddle?
Certain breeds are better than others at endurance trotting. Huskies are notoriously good long runners. I saw a Jack Russell Terrier (small dog) doing marathons, so if you need a small one, that is a safe bet. @Tocotin

Reactions: CWatts and Tocotin

adinaluca

getting there
Registered
Reaction score
High end boarding schools in Europe, specifically Switzerland, and I can't even...
Ha, just looked up finishing schools in London - not what they used to be at all. Surprising.

Reactions: Cyia

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
The gregarious moph of grasshoppers, i.e. locusts - apparently, all locusts are grasshoppers, but not all grasshoppers are locusts. Who knew? (Thank you @Thecla ) And juvenile locusts create a marching hopper band - that's too cute! I can picture them all wearing little military band costumes...

Reactions: Tocotin

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What courses in science might be required of a college freshman at a state university.

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
The price of theme park tickets. I remembered the price for one park in my state, but decided to look up Six Flags and... well... jfc.

First, the ticket system is confusing as shit (when you check the website). Second, the prices are absurd. It's high-seas piracy, I say!

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
What it would be like to get caught outdoors in one of those massive Martian sandstorms.

Turns out you can expect an underwhelming experience. The winds may crack 100 km/hr, but the low surface pressure means it would feel no more disturbing than a light breeze on earth, and you’d probably find it easy enough to see around you, because the optical depth would be dominated by scattering instead of absorption. But they sure look impressive viewed from orbit.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The price of theme park tickets. I remembered the price for one park in my state, but decided to look up Six Flags and... well... jfc.

First, the ticket system is confusing as shit (when you check the website). Second, the prices are absurd. It's high-seas piracy, I say!
This one has bugged me for years. I swear the company behind Six Flags has no concept of basic business economics. They keep lowering the season's pass price and raising the daily ticket price. It's to the point now that the crowds are packed with season pass holders because it's usually less than the price of 2-3 day tickets.

Used to, a season's pass only made sense for locals who went every day or weekly, and it was the cost of more than a week's tickets, because the daily price was low (or could be halved with a Dr. Pepper can). Not only are they clogging the parks because the pass holders can each bring multiple people in for free, but they're shorting their own bottom line.

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Went back to researching pirate names again because I wanted something specific for the park's owner... but couldn't find exactly what I wanted, so I'm kinda using something else.

This one has bugged me for years. I swear the company behind Six Flags has no concept of basic business economics. They keep lowering the season's pass price and raising the daily ticket price. It's to the point now that the crowds are packed with season pass holders because it's usually less than the price of 2-3 day tickets.

Used to, a season's pass only made sense for locals who went every day or weekly, and it was the cost of more than a week's tickets, because the daily price was low (or could be halved with a Dr. Pepper can). Not only are they clogging the parks because the pass holders can each bring multiple people in for free, but they're shorting their own bottom line.

While I'm not sure how much additional use every season ticket gets (since a lot of people also travel to these parks where, instead of hitting multiple parks, they could just do the same park multiple days -- and a lot of parks may be competing on the same principle of one-fee-for-several-days vs not having that customer at all), I feel like it's important to remember that ticket price is hardly the only way these parks make money. They also get you on parking fees, meals, concessions, gift shops, added services (like ride skips -- and, by clogging the parks, they can upsell skip services and other premiums), etc.

And it also seems like an increasingly industry-wide practice. One of the independent parks near me (whose site I checked first) has adopted a similar scheme. The other nearby park has its season pass set at roughly 2.5x the cost of a single-day pass, which is still pretty close in price, although nowhere near as insane as a those plans where a single ticket is nearly the price of a season.

Whatever the case, it's a major turnoff to casual park-goers. However, certain demographics are more or less locked in unless the price gets so insane they can't afford tickets. (And, personally, there's a reasonable chance I might never visit another theme park during my life.)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
A 'season' pass that's 2.5x times the cost of a single day pass seems reasonable, given that locals probably don't want to go every weekend, but might take visiting relatives, etc.
As for visitors on their own, even if it's Disneyland, or some similar giant park, who's going to want to go every day?
Unless you were travelling with my father, who believed in getting his money's worth.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
A 'season' pass that's 2.5x times the cost of a single day pass seems reasonable, given that locals probably don't want to go every weekend, but might take visiting relatives, etc.
As for visitors on their own, even if it's Disneyland, or some similar giant park, who's going to want to go every day?
Unless you were travelling with my father, who believed in getting his money's worth.
For Six Flags specifically, many parents use it as a place to park their kids in the summer when school's out. They drop their kids off in the morning, then pick them up after work.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone else who thought of Clark Griswold, Legal Eagle has covered all the laws broken in Christmas Vacation but not the Wally World at gunpoint fiasco from the original.

Reactions: Lundgren and Cyia

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
What ponytails were called before "ponytails!" (It's a 'queue,' in case you were curious, apparently from the French word for tail and used to describe the hairstyle of the Manchu people from the Qing Dynasty, so says BBC.) Ironically, I ended up cutting the scene I needed this for anyway.
For a man, the term used to be peruke. In Restoration England, the prevelance of head lice meant those men who could afford had their heads pretty much shaved and wore periwigs. What relation these two terms have, knows me not.

And may not even address the point in question, which would appear to refer to women.

I think I’ll stop typing now.

Reactions: presephaine

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all got me curious, so I looked up Cedar Point, the amusement park I went to endless times as a MG/YA and even later as a twenties/thirties adult and absolutely loved. Honestly, their prices look very reasonable to me, whether the basic entry fee to all the rides (about forty dollars) or the entry plus parking plus all you can eat everywhere all day fee (about seventy dollars).

Here in NZ, entry into any tourist venue or (as I recently found) traveling dinosaur exhibition at the local museum where you might spend a couple hours is easily forty dollars or more. But maybe Cedar Point is an anomaly because it's in Ohio and, no offense intended, and I say this as an ex Michigander, people go through rather than to Ohio?

• Haha
Reactions: alexp336

presephaine

Registered
Reaction score
On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
For a man, the term used to be peruke. In Restoration England, the prevelance of head lice meant those men who could afford had their heads pretty much shaved and wore periwigs. What relation these two terms have, knows me not.

And may not even address the point in question, which would appear to refer to women.

I think I’ll stop typing now.
Thank you for sharing! I didn't know this and am definitely going to look more into it!!