• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Veritas Literary Agency (Katherine Boyle)

IrisFlower81

Flower Girl
Registered
Reaction score
To answer the full manuscript question: I've heard anywhere from two to four months. I'm going on month three, and hoping to hear back soon.

Hope this helps!

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
I also just passed the two month mark after a full request from Jennifer for a MG sci fi. I'm hoping to hear from her soon. :)

IrisFlower81

Flower Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I got my response from Jennifer and it was a rejection. At least it was personalized, so if/when I decide to revise further, I'll have some comments to go off of.

Good luck to everyone who's still waiting!

MorganS

Am I there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
I have LOVED my dealings with this agency. Mr. Carr, Ms. Boyle, and Ms. Skutelsky are all wonderful. Definitely worthwhile to query them. They're all knowledgeable, kind, and hard working. :D

writers wife

Wife, Mom, School Teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully we will get a chance to LOVE them as much as you do. We are still waiting on a full request submitted two months ago.

MaraudingDon

Searching for Arthur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
musingsofapennilesswriter.blogspot.com.au
Boyle rejected me with out even taking a look at my query. They are so rude. Why ask for queries if you don't really want them sent to you. Maybe its because I'm a guy.

I can assure you it won't be anything to do with the fact you're a guy. John Green, Markus Zusak, George Martin, Ian Rankin, Terry Pratchett...seriously, one look at my bookshelves is proof enough that male writers are highly thought of.

Good luck and keep on trying.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Boyle rejected me with out even taking a look at my query. They are so rude. Why ask for queries if you don't really want them sent to you. Maybe its because I'm a guy.

Your post made me curious, so I took a quick glance at our "representative titles" page from the web page and came up with 20 female and 18 male writers. I knew we had plenty of male writers, but that was even more balanced than I was expecting, since my own authors run about 3:2 women to men.

All of our authors aren't on that list, of course, but I think it shows that we're more than open to submissions from men.

Unfortunately, it is true that queries get too little attention. In an ideal world the query would be read carefully, and the sample pages considered with one's best attention. The reality is that the volume of work leads to some skimming and rapid decisions and we are human and make mistakes like everyone else. And sometimes we're too busy, or we simply prefer some other project at that particular time.

It might help to think of literary agents like browsers in a bookstore. When you go into the store to buy a couple of books, you're not making a value judgement about all the books you didn't select. Therefore, if you are confident in your query and your writing you should not get discouraging by a rejection or twenty. It's only when nobody is plucking your book from the shelf that maybe something is wrong with either your writing or your presentation.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also interested in whether anyone has any recent experience with the timeline for fulls at this agency. I got a request for a full from Katherine Boyle at the end of February, sent a followup nudge some weeks ago, and have heard nothing. I assume it's time to give up hope, but it would be nice to know for sure.

I queried another agent at Veritas and was told Ms. Boyle would like a full. After 6 months, I had done some major revisions for another agency, so I nudged and attached the revised ms, letting her know that if she hadn't already read it, she might want to read the newer ms. I also let her know I had it out with a couple other agents, which I understood to be a common practice (several other agents who requested fulls wanted to know if it was out with others). A day or two later, I got a terse response saying something along the lines of, "I'm sure another agent will like it."

So, either she had read it and decided to pass but hadn't bothered to respond, or she never read it at all and passed. Either way, it came across as very rude.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
That's kind of how I chose to see it. I like to see a bit of personality from agents, esp. if they are requesting material and are potentially someone I could end up working with. It's important that personalities match.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Katherine Boyle on 10/14/14 with YA Post-Apocalyptic. No response so I assume no.