The "My Latest Project" thread

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SugarMaple1.jpg

Just finished this one. Don't know why it won't resize down. The image on Photobucket is resized down to the smallest I could.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Various014.jpg

Just an update on the magpie scarf.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so envious of everybody's projects! I'm working on something fairly simple right now. I tried knitting, but couldn't get into it- so right now I'm making a book with a bunch of miniature collages in it.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Will there be pictures in the future?

Good news for me: a local gift shop is going to give my scarves a chance at the Christmas crowd, so I guess I'd better get my needle working double time.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got an email a couple of weeks ago from the Calgary Stampede inviting me to enter a minimum of 6 items in their 2012 Western Art Sale. It's still subject to judging as I'm competing for space with international artists, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

The only problem is the deadline. Instead of the end of April, the deadline for this one is January 5. (I guess they need more time as they have to make up sale catalogues.) There's no way I can do 6 quality needlework items in that time. Although I've done lots of things since the last Stampede, they haven't been western in nature, and that's one of the biggest criteria.

Instead, I've decided to do some painted shawls, again using native birds as subjects. And here's the first.

WesternArtSale001.jpg

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I've started dabbling in all kinds of sewing, including making historical clothes. My latest project, that I just finished, is an 18th century pocket (which you tied around your waist under your skirt, and a slit in the side of the skirt allowed you to reach inside and get out stuff). I did some extremely iffy cross-stitching on it: http://www.deaddukes.blogspot.com/2011/12/sewing-update-pocket-finished.html

Next project is an 18th century shift (I've made a few before, but I'm taking a little greater care this time) and remaking some old clothes into something a little more chic. I'm on a 40s/50s roll at the moment so I have plenty to do (especially since I splurged on a bunch of vintage patterns the other day).

Last edited:

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aren't vintage patterns great? I recently splurged on a vintage hat pattern. Haven't done anything with it yet, but sooner or later...

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Won't even be thinking about it until mid-February or so. Will you be posting pictures?

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, not so sure this counts as a project, but I'm really proud of my chicken feet :D

2011-12-20005258-1.jpg

2011-12-20005100-1.jpg

2011-12-20004951-1.jpg

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
So many neat things here.

Love the feet....lol

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Very cool :D

I'll take photos of the hats I made for the boys and the afghan I'm still working on for B's dad. Needs to be my next blog post so I'll just link to that.

Loving everyone's work.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Okay so did a post on the hats I made for the boys this Christmas.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Those are cute. The second one is a lmao one. :poke:

He plans to grow into it....right?

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Those are cute. The second one is a lmao one. :poke:

He plans to grow into it....right?

I hope so. Still have no idea what happened. :( same yarn, same pattern, no stitches picked up... *sigh*

But was fun to make.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone has such beautiful work. :)

We joined my best friend and her family back home for a primitive Rendezvous over labor day weekend. I had a little less than a year to get the bare minimum supplies and make our costumes.

My daughter's ribbon dress was my first attempt. It's not period correct, but because it was a child's costume, they let it slide.
ribbondress.jpg

I realized it would be easier if I had a dress form. Since I couldn't afford to buy one, I made one with cling wrap, duct tape, and newspaper.
cimg0254k.jpg

The dress form helped a lot when I had to make my dresses.
cimg0267j.jpg

It gets cold up in the mountains, and a flimsy cotton ribbon dress wasn't going to cut it. My daughter's full outfit. (the dog chased her and yanked her leggings down a minute after I took the picture :roll:)
cimg0756k.jpg

My crew.
cimg0802z.jpg

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Learning how to use my sewing machine for the cloth costumes was fun, but the accessories made by hand are my favorite. I love digging through the scrap box at Tandy leather, and finding all sorts of interesting raw edges to add the extra primitive touch.

Belts, chokers, and a beaded necklace.
cimg0243v.jpg

Belt pouch.
cimg0241.jpg

I pieced together a quiver, but it took longer to bead that little row of "lazy stitch" beads on the trim than it did to make the actual quiver.
cimg1446q.jpg

Quiver finished, and ready for action.
cimg1461i.jpg

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Very cool. Though not really sure why the first ribbon dress wouldn't have worked. I used to go to a lot of Pow-Wow's a few years ago. Some of those ribbon dresses are just beautiful.

You did some wonderful work. :D

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lovin' all the work. We're a talented bunch on here.

Just finishing up lining my western shawls - all seven of them. Had to take a brief aside to whip up a quartet of 1925 flapper dresses for next weekend's performance.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Nice leatherwork! I went to Pow-Wows in the Four Corners as a kid, SCA gatherings and Lewis & Clark recreations as a young adult. The details make the outfit.

Here's my project of the last week: a right-angle-weave double collar linked by 2-hole dichroic glass spacers. I have to attend an opening at a Latino art gallery next weekend, and wanted something very colorful and vaguely Mayan to wear. I'm happy with the result, but it was a beast to finish.

Hint: Safety pins are a really great way to anchor spacer beads along both support chains,while laying out any kind of broadcollar!

Cranejewelry--Vibrancecollar.jpg

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice and does have a Mayan kind of flair. and I love dichorics, you have hundreds of possibilities with them.

I've got an itching to work with my beads, but have to finish an afghan first.