The Book Group - tv show

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Looked for a thread on this, was a little surprised to not find one. Maybe because this is an old and short-lived series, but I enjoyed it when it played here in the US on reruns a year or so ago. Still have the last episode on DVR.

Only 12 episodes, it was the story of an American woman who moved to Glasgow, Scotland, to write a novel. She doesn't know anyone there and starts a book group to meet people. Some of the people who join are writers, some are readers, some are just lonely and looking for companionship.

I'm not clear on the specifics of this, as it's been awhile since I saw the first episodes. Anyone else see this show?

Main character Claire was played by Ann Dudek. Her sister Jean shows up in the second season and lands a nice deal for a non-fiction book, much to the chagrin of Claire.

Here's the Wikipedia page on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_Group

I'd like to have it on DVD but on Amazon it's only listed for Region 2 formatting, and I'm in Region 1.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quality show for the first series. Second series not as good -- but still good. I had a little look on Ebay UK and the second series seems to be available in region one from a US seller.

Wiskel

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
High above the rooftops...swinging from web to web
I watched it many years ago.

Every now and again i'll buy a random comedy series on DVD - one i've never seen and know next to nothing about. I discovered Black Books and The Mighty Boosh that way, and Book Club was one of those random purchases.

I don't know how to summerise my opinion of it, so i'm going to steal a phrase from Mark Kermode and say it's as "perfectly fine."

I watched the entire first series so i obviously didn't hate it. I remember it being a quieter, character centered humour, and I remember it fondly, but I never bothered to buy the second series and i've never revisted it and watched it again - that's unusual for me with comedy.

I can remember a few of the characters but i couldn't remember a single joke from the series or the plot of a single episode.

Craig