Status
Not open for further replies.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
If you go to the bottom of the page to an area called....forum jump.....scroll down to the SYW.....share your work......areas and find the one that fits what you write. Yes, you do need 50 posts to place stuff in the syw areas. Go around to other areas and do some reading and posting. When you get the 50 swing by and give the poet area a shot. (or screen writing or play.)

Best wishes.

InquisitveOne

Registered
Reaction score
Hi CACTUSWENDY,

If you go to the bottom of the page to an area called....forum jump.....scroll down to the SYW.....share your work......areas and find the one that fits what you write. Yes, you do need 50 posts to place stuff in the syw areas. Go around to other areas and do some reading and posting. When you get the 50 swing by and give the poet area a shot. (or screen writing or play.)

Best wishes.

Thanks for your email and best wishes to you too.

InquisitveOne

Registered
Reaction score
Hi CACTUSWENDY,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTUSWENDY

Best wishes.

Thanks for your email and best wishes to you too.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
This will be my eighteenth post, so that means I'll have another thirty two posts before I can display.

I expect for the next 32 posts I'll be defending my position to all oncomers. If so, fire when ready!
You could. But places like this expect people to give and take, not just to take, so rather than propping up your own thread with pointless posts you could instead drop into the SYW forums and offer useful comments on work that others have posted.

I won't be reading your posts in SYW because to me you already look like a timewaster, but that's a personal decision and others will make their own mind up.

InquisitveOne

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I knew when I opened this post that it would cause some controversy, and you are quite welcome to your own opinion of my worth, but my value as a person is in my poetry—judge that on its merits.

Being stuck here defending my position leaves no time to critique other's works, and if I did leave to do this then I'd be accused of ignoring the thread I started.

So I continue...

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Being stuck here defending my position leaves no time to critique other's works, and if I did leave to do this then I'd be accused of ignoring the thread I started.

So I continue...
Now it's clear, you are a timewaster.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score

That's just about the worst excuse not to critique that I've ever seen.

B.D. Eyeslie

Registered
Reaction score
Where the dirty water has all been cleaned--Boston
Hi,

I knew when I opened this post that it would cause some controversy, and you are quite welcome to your own opinion of my worth, but my value as a person is in my poetry—judge that on its merits.

So I continue...

Give me a break!
Oh BTW when is F. Scott Fitzgerald's turn; I have some serious questions for him.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
There's no requirement that you defend your position. There's no requirement to respond to every post in a thread you've started. There is an expectation that if you plan to use this community as a resource, you will also contribute. You're starting to sound like a troll. If you really want to be a participant here, you might want to re-consider your approach. This bunch doesn't deal kindly with trolls...

Deleted member 42

Hi,

Tell you what.

You go actually participate in the community, and we'll all wait for you to post in SYW.

So I continue...

Oh get off it. No one is making you do anything. No one "made" you utter that astonishing piece of braggadocio so stop wallowing in self-pity like a cream-faced loon.

Aroint thee, and come back here to let us know when you've posted in SYW.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
. . . PS -- Be sure to post your work in Poetry Critique, not here where search engines and foul scavengers roam.

Hi Magdalen,

Thanks for the good advice:

31 to go!

How come you only quoted part of me?? Don't forget my other advice!!

proffer your comments and opinions on other poets' work while you wait

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
This will be my eighteenth post, so that means I'll have another thirty two posts before I can display.

I expect for the next 32 posts I'll be defending my position to all oncomers. If so, fire when ready!

A pertinent excerpt from dpaterso's sticky on the 50 post requirement:
Jan 2012 edit: New members are strongly discouraged from making the "50-post dash" to hit the magic number as soon as possible. . . . Seriously now, if you're not prepared to read and critique other members' material in SYW before posting your own for critique, you're coming in with the wrong attitude. This is the wrong way to get yourself noticed. Consider becoming a contributing member of the community rather than a taker.

InquisitveOne

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

The writer above my last post has done one of the greatest jobs of self-demolition I've ever seen, and the reason is thus:

From one of my earlier posts:

As I'm totally unfamiliar with the posting method on any forum. Do I need permission to post? Does this post stay on this thread, or is it a new thread?

Is the way I've been treated above my last post seem fair to a newbie poster, one who has been swamped with replies of all sorts?

I am still "Learning the ropes" about the posting etc and need to be guided gently and with wise advice, and not with the outright abuse as witnessed above.

Does the following post seem to come from a newbie?

What is the meaning of "SYW" it's posted everywhere here on AW. I have not the faintest idea what it is, and I've searched all over the internet to find the solution.

I expect to be treated as any other newbie on this forum, and that is this way:

More on Respecting Your Fellow Writer

It's really not complicated. Seriously. It means don't act like a jerk. You don't name-call, or bait, or sneer, or taunt, or generally be unpleasant to the people around you; at least, not if you want to stay here very long.

I expect to be treated in the way above, and if I am forgetful of the occasional rule as a newbie as would any newbie under the exceptional swamping of emails I received then I expect to be told in a friendly and in a non-confronting way.

It seems the acidic attack was formulated because of the subject matter, and for no other reason, and I find this quite objectionable as I would expect to be treated fairly, and without prejudice as would any other newbie poster in the past have been on this forum.

If the Newbie Guidelines rules are not obeyed I will unsubscribe forthwith.

InquisitveOne

Registered
Reaction score
PS.

As a newbie I thought I had to answer every email, but then again newbie's think that way when completely unfamiliar with any forums.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
InquisitiveOne,

let me start over. Hi.

There is a question as to what style is in this case. As has been mentioned previously, it is arguable whether WS had what could be described as a definitive style, and I can agree with that to an extent. However, on the basis of how as opposed to what, there is a common trend in all of his works aside from A winter's Tale and Richard III--a trend that is visible and immediately identifiable in the way that I mentioned previously. Now, I did not make that post as a personal attack, but rather as a basis on which to propose any further comparison as when it comes down to metaphor and character interaction, is there really much difference between WS and his peers. Arguably, no. Any poet worth their weight in words would do well to master device and language in a refined and skilful manner; the only thing about Ole Will's work (in addition to the technical aspects I mentioned earlier) that has allowed it to transcend social barriers across the ages is the layering of those words by connotations and taboos, and, ultimately, familiarity of concept. That is the genius of Shakespeare...

On another note--welcome to the forum, feel free to critique and/or comment on any of my poems in the crit section by fire, steel or stone; be as cruel or kind as you see fit. I look forward to reading both your comments and your work.

Kie

Edit to add:
Do you mean you write Elizabethan English? If so, I'd imagine you could just stop doing that. Same if you write in iambic pentameter.

I agree with the point on Elizabethan English, but what's wrong with metrical poetry? No market? No interest? Please elucidate...

Last edited:

InquisitveOne

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks kborsden & Ketzel,

I shouldn't even be replying to these posts as I should be critiquing other's poetry.

I'll do this to the best of my ability over the next day or two, but as I haven't done this type of thing before (except for my own work) don't know how I'll go.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
How about we lock this for the time being - then we can all start fresh with one another elsewhere.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, the fifty-post requirement to submit a work for critique does NOT apply to Poetry.

Status
Not open for further replies.