Publisher's Marketplace + Budget Timelines

capricornair

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all-

I'm in the beta-reading stage of my novel. I'd like to subscribe to Publisher's Marketplace, but I'm on a budget. If you are a subscriber, at what stage in your querying process did you pay fees to subscribe? It's currently $25 month. Planning to use it extensively for research. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: gtanders

Katiebee

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to subscribe right about when it's time to actually query. So, after I've finished my QL materials and polished my manuscript and opening pages. After I've made my list of agents to query. Then I'll cross check my list with PM during the subscription month to make sure there aren't any I'd rather NOT query after looking them up, and also add to my list any I might've missed by perusing the deals and such. Then its query time! I'll probably write down pertinent info for each so I have it after the PM expires. I might subscribe again for a month if I find myself so lucky as to need to choose between two agents, but I suspect a lot of that is going to come down to vibes and personality (mine & theirs) and our respective visions for my book.

capricornair

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to subscribe right about when it's time to actually query. So, after I've finished my QL materials and polished my manuscript and opening pages. After I've made my list of agents to query. Then I'll cross check my list with PM during the subscription month to make sure there aren't any I'd rather NOT query after looking them up, and also add to my list any I might've missed by perusing the deals and such. Then its query time! I'll probably write down pertinent info for each so I have it after the PM expires. I might subscribe again for a month if I find myself so lucky as to need to choose between two agents, but I suspect a lot of that is going to come down to vibes and personality (mine & theirs) and our respective visions for my book.
Sounds good - thank you!

Reactions: Katiebee

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
I'm going to subscribe right about when it's time to actually query.

That's what I was going to recommend. If you can spend a few 4-hour sessions building your agent list with Publishers Marketplace on hand, you can probably bang out your querying plan in one month, then cancel it when you're ready to start querying.

capricornair

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I was going to recommend. If you can spend a few 4-hour sessions building your agent list with Publishers Marketplace on hand, you can probably bang out your querying plan in one month, then cancel it when you're ready to start querying.
Makes sense. Thank you!