My query letter :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathleen_grant

Carpe Diem
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling really down after posting my query letter on SYW... someone replied saying there's a problem with my plot and the concept, but I'm so sure there isn't... it all makes sense when you read the story and understand the MC's POV, but it's proven extremely difficult to widdle that down to a few paragraphs, to the point where people are getting frustrated at the fact that it doesn't make much sense but it's STILL too long...

I'm just having such a hard time coping with the entire thing and I may sound whiny but it's hard to hear someone say it's not your query letter, it's your story.

But I know it's not my story... it's just a query letter makes the story sound stupid...

Ugh. :(

Last edited:

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
I tool a stab at it, kathleen. :)

That's always a good idea.

Have someone play around with it while you take a step back and act like it no longer exists. When you come back you'll have fresh ideas of your own which you can meld with what the other person has written.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there, Kathleen! Perhaps you're including too much in your query? I've been hanging around Query Hell and sometimes I think some writers put too much of the catchy stuff in their queries, rather than stick with the general plot.

(IMHO. I consider myself new to all this, certainly not one of the experts.) Good luck and don't give up on it.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Kathleen. I find it nigh on impossible to get my story into a query letter too, query letters just don't seem to do justice to the stories we've written, do they.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
:Hug2: Kathleen. I find it nigh on impossible to get my story into a query letter too, query letters just don't seem to do justice to the stories we've written, do they.

Ain't that the truth.

I try to stick by what Nathan Bransford blogged that, for him, the sweet spot for queries is between 250 and 350 words. Anything shorter than 250 usually seems too short and anything longer than 350 usually seems too long.

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
Kathleen, I think your story sounds intriguing. I'd read it. Definitely add more voice as Lily showed you.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Kathleen you're not alone, a lot (a LOT) of us feel very disheartened when we try to write queries / synopsis. *hug* grit your teeth and follow your instinct, if you think it's the query that's the problem, not the story then I'd suggest you have a beta read your story (if you haven't already) and you're query and give you another opinion...

kathleen_grant

Carpe Diem
Registered
Reaction score
Kathleen you're not alone, a lot (a LOT) of us feel very disheartened when we try to write queries / synopsis. *hug* grit your teeth and follow your instinct, if you think it's the query that's the problem, not the story then I'd suggest you have a beta read your story (if you haven't already) and you're query and give you another opinion...

The thread with my query letter has gotten many replies and I'm getting a lot of input and help from everyone here on the board.

You're all so great! :)

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
...but it's proven extremely difficult to widdle that down to a few paragraphs, to the point where people are getting frustrated at the fact that it doesn't make much sense but it's STILL too long...

Whittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.