• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Mentor Needed for Crime Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBReed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorjbreed.yolasite.com
I am looking for a mentor. Someone to read the chapters I have written and point out mistakes I have made such as grammar, punctuation, plot idea, etc.

My first book was published by ......PA. I worked very hard on the book and it came out well, no thanks to PA. However, I think this book can be better. It is a sequel to the first book. If anyone is interested in helping me, please let me know. Also, I am not giving away this book to PA.

Thanks.

[email protected]

Last edited:

JBReed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Crime/Romance mentor needed

Hello, I am still looking for a mentor in the crime/romance genre. I plan to self publish this book so if my mentor could help with that as well it would be great. I want to put out a better book this time and need advice from someone with more experience than I have. Thanks.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Hi JB,

Nobody replied...in three days. that's discouraging, I get that. But have you read the stickies here in the beta section? you have 13 posts and are an uncertain commodity, which reads "time sink" because we don't know anything about you.

Try to remember this is more a marathon than a sprint, and hang out in the various forums. You can learn a lot here even minus a beta, and when you've established some sort of presence, your odds of collecting a beta go up considerably--I don't know a thing about you, but most of the folks who show up looking for help with a dozen posts take the help and then split...that's why even the SYW sections here now have a 50-post requirement.

Look around, take the opportunity to learn. You'll get a beta much quicker that way, and learn along the way.

Quick

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Got to agree with Quicklime, I'm afraid. Beta reading takes a lot of time and effort. You wouldn't ask a total stranger in real life and this kind of works the same way.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I think it might be the genre, too. I didn't get any bites on my request for beta readers for my mystery novel, and I've been here a while.

Or else nobody likes me. :cry:

I did get a good reader who advertised for a trade. We are reading each other's books now. Two completely different genres.

blrude

Registered
Reaction score
What QL and Miranda said. The other thing I'd like to point out is that many beta-readers are probably more timid to offer when the request is for a mentor instead of a beta.

A true mentoring relationship is not only a bigger time-sink than beta reading, it is also asking a stranger to take on a larger, formative role in your learning process. When someone asks for a mentor, they're asking for heavy advice and practical experience, to be guided through a process; they're asking to receive without having to give.

Specifically, you're also asking for someone to walk you through not just the writing, but the self-publishing process. There are so many places to get self-publishing information and walk-throughs without asking someone to recreate the wheel in an e-mail to you.

When someone asks for a beta, they're asking for reader experience and suggestions. And while not all betas swap (I'm sure many on this forum read more than they ask to be read), it's possible that betas don't want to walk into a situation where a mentor-student responsibility is expected of them. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone to take the comments I've made on their MSS as law. I'm one reader. This happens to be what I thought about this thing. That's all, I'm not right or wrong, and I wouldn't want to be pressured into providing advice knowing that the person taking it is adding weight to it, treating me as a teacher instead of a peer.

A critique partner or beta reader is a peer. Most writers here, I'm guessing, want peers.

That's my .02. I feel like we've seen an upsurge in mentor requests lately and they don't get quite the positive responses as requests for betas. I'm sorry this went a little long or hijacked your thread at all, JB, so let me give you a suggestion: look for betas not a mentor. And glance through the rest of the beta seeking threads and see what kinds of information they are giving to get volunteers. We need to know enough about the story to know if it sounds like our kind of thing.

JBReed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you all for you answers. I will visit some of the other forums and try to get to know the people here and let them get to know me. Thanks again, all of you had very good advice.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We look forward to getting to know you better.

Maryn, offering warm baked goods

Status
Not open for further replies.