Longmire

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
Is anybody watching this show? I've seen the books its based on mentioned in a few threads, but nothing on the show. BTW, if anyone's reading the books as well as watching the show, I'd be interested to hear how the show stacks up to the prose.

The second season premiere was tonight and it sure started with a bang! Escaped fugitives, white buffalos, and Walt's "unquiet mind," were just a few of the dramatic elements in this episode. Also, I like seeing Katee Sackhoff in a non-SF role for a change. And of course it's always a treat seeing Lou Diamond Phillips onscreen again.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I've read some of the books and I've seen most, if not all, the episodes.

First, it's Ab-SOAR-kuh! AB-SOAR-KUH! Gah! I want to scream every time somebody says Abso-ROCA! (Thanks for starting this thread, Steve. I've thought about starting one myself just to get this off my chest.)

I thought the episode tonight was lame. The show does follow the prose from the books. (Henry Standing Bear's my favorite character.)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I hadn't heard of it till I saw a commercial for it yesterday before Star Trek.

(I won't derail this thread by a rant about PAYING for COMMERCIALS in MOVIE THEATERS where I've ALREADY PAID to get in. Really I won't. Honest.)

The first ep didn't hold my interest. I've never read the books, so why the heck didn't [spoilers] Longmire die in the snow when the serial killer did? Is he protected by some supernatural entity or demigodlike or something? Serious question. Why did the dead kid's ghost just watch? What was the point of that? Should I have assumed that dead kid protected Longmire and/or hastened the serial killer's death? [/spoiler]

I'll give it another ep, mostly because the actors are good, esp. the guest stars. My real problem with it is "Starbuck" (don't know her real name). I've never liked her in anything she's done. I don't like her in this either. :(

Oldbrasscat

Making stuff up...or maybe sleeping
Registered
Reaction score
In a bunker, lobbing grenades at the plot bunnies.
The books and the series aren't exactly the same. I liked both, for different reasons. I'm glad I saw this thread--I was wondering only yesterday if it was going to come back for another season.

Like I needed another time sink when I have AW...

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
My wife likes it. It puts me to sleep, which theoretically would be a good thing for a chronic insomniac but then a few minutes later there's a bunch of screaming that wakes me up leaving me more tired. So generally when she's watching it I go somewhere else. I want a tv that will actually dampen sounds so that soft sounds are aubible but loud sounds like commercials and screaming get dampened

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
callalily61:

I've not read the books either, but the reason
the kid didn't do anything is because he wasn't really there. He was just in Walt's head, like the others who appeared during his journey up the mountain, like his daughter, the cop from Denver, and Henry. Also, after Walt fell in the creek, he found shelter and built a fire, which kept him from freezing.

My real problem with it is "Starbuck" (don't know her real name). I've never liked her in anything she's done. I don't like her in this either. :(

As to Katee Sackhoff, my main gripe about her in season 1 was that she smiled too often, and sometimes at inappropriate times for her character (I thought). Didn't see any of that this episode, though.

Thinking I might check out the books. I've read that the supernatural/Indian folklore elements are stronger in the books.

Last edited:

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Me and my husband watched the first season and loved it! There's just something about Longmire....Anyhow, I wasn't crazy about this season's opener. Too many things didn't add up. I'll certainly watch next week and hope it gets better.

Carlene

heza

Registered
Reaction score
We've started watching Season 1 on Netflix (after seeing advertisements at the movie theater). We're enjoying it so far. For a small town in Wyoming, they sure have a lot of murdering.

I can't decide if it's more like a CSI: Cowboy or a modern Gunsmoke....

The SO wants to live in a cabin in Wyoming, now.

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
Ferg seems to be gaining some confidence and growing as a character. Loved some of Henry's lines in the latest episode and I'm really starting to dislike Branch, especially his recent methods of trying to track down Katie. *spoiler* I'm really looking forward to the breaking & entering coming back to bite him on the ass. *end spoiler*