Hi!

wannawriteJr

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm so glad I stumbled across this community. I used to primarily use NaNoWriMo Forums to discuss writing, but since they've closed, I've been floundering.

I've been writing since I was young, but became serious about it in the past few years. I wrote a many short stories and a few (failed) attempts at a novel.
I finally completed a full novel during this past NaNo.

I write basically any genre, but I like fantasy and historical fiction the best.

I'm glad to be here :)

Reactions: Norsebard and Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi wannawriteJr, and welcome to AW! You’ll love it here, I’m sure :)

We’ve got everything a writer, at every stage of their writing journey, needs, both in terms of resources and community.

I’m sure you’ve already carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered but please also peruse the FAQs linked to here, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. Doing this will not only help make the forums less overwhelming, but will also quickly get you up to speed on the culture and etiquette of the various spaces around AW.

There’s a lot here to discover, so take as much time as you need to explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

And if you have any questions that aren’t answered in the above resources, please don’t hesitate to ask, either here in-thread or via the private conversation option (the envelope next to the bell at the top right of page) :)

Happy writing!
Izz

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

I used to primarily use NaNoWriMo Forums to discuss writing, but since they've closed, I've been floundering.

tbh, the NaNo forum controversy caught me (and a lot of others) by surprise. But it seems like the organization has been plagued by a few controversies in recent years.

I've been writing since I was young, but became serious about it in the past few years. I wrote a many short stories and a few (failed) attempts at a novel.
I finally completed a full novel during this past NaNo.

Grats.

I write basically any genre, but I like fantasy and historical fiction the best.

They're very popular genres. I've written some amount of fantasy myself.

I'm glad to be here :)

Glad to have you here.

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Hello and :welcome: to Absolute Write, wannawriteJr! :)

wannawriteJr said:
(...) I finally completed a full novel during this past NaNo (...)

Great! Congratulations
cool.gif
High-Five-Smiley.gif

I completed NaNoWriMo projects in '22 and '23. I definitely had a blast racin' to the 50K, but I'm not sure I'll be doing one this year.

See you around the board!

Norsebard

WD Writes

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I have massive respect for anyone who can 'win' at NaNo (as someone who fails pretty much each year). You're obviously doing something right!

wannawriteJr

Registered
Reaction score
I have massive respect for anyone who can 'win' at NaNo (as someone who fails pretty much each year). You're obviously doing something right!
So.... I didn't actually win... I wrote a full middle grade novel of 25,000 words. I considered it a win becuase it was a draft from start to finish, but it needs lots of bulking up.
Which I'm really struggling to get to. I keep telling myself I'm going to do it, but it hasn't been done yet :ROFLMAO:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you heard about BIC time? That's your butt in chair for a set amount of time every day, minimum 30 minutes. (An hour or more is better. You want to edit this book or not?)

During BIC time you have two options, and only two. You may write, or you may not write. You can't be online, have the TV on in the background, read or send texts or instant messages, play a computer game, do writing-related research, read what you've already written, adjust your outline, eat, smoke, or anything else. Write or don't, period. (Those who give themselves BIC of more than an hour can schedule a break if they must have one--but it doesn't count as part of the BIC time.)

Most days, you'll write. On the best days, you'll 'catch fire' and go beyond your assigned time, which is great. However, you can't amass credit. The next day, you still owe the same amount of BIC time as every other day.

Very few life events cancel BIC time. Travel, vacation, being super busy, and minor illness do *not* cancel BIC.

It gets things done.