Hello . . .

LarryWinger

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve been writing conscientiously but umm, avocationally, since retiring as a professional scientist (biomedical research) a few years ago — no more scientific papers or grant applications. Although I did a degree in my youth in English as well as Biology, it was only after I became a grandfather that I started writing for fun in earnest while recovering from cancer in 2018. I embarked on a daily journal of life in our local Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (see signature) from our smallholding here in the Border Region of England’s last wilderness. But I really wanted to write a novel.

So after the ‘year in the life of a village,’ I embarked on a science fiction adventure (hard, not fantasy, that turned into climate fiction — who knew?). As an expatriate Canadian, my favourite writer is Margaret Atwood, but I read a lot of nonfiction like Yuval Noah Harare or Richard Dawkins, and my next big read really should be James Lovelock’s Novacene.

After attending an Arvon Foundation writers’ retreat for some helpful advice from a pair of wonderful novelists, I joined a local Creative Writing group with which I’ve shared critique and empathy over the past two years. During that time I completed my first novel, and following advice from JerichoWriters on independent publishing, I wrote another, initially a freebie. I’m beginning the third of the series and hoping to complete it, with helpful support on characterisation, narrative arc, and enhanced craft, early in ’22.

I want this third volume to be the best, really, and I’m looking for a novel-writing community to share larger projects with. So I hope I’m prepared to help other struggling writers on their journey, and also to be receptive to some good advice at the same time.

Looking forward to exploring the forums, and thanks for the welcome Mac!
cheers
Larry Winger
AllendaleDiary.org
BiomeNE47.com

Festerin Fandango

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Larry. I'm also new and you sound highly organized. Mind if I follow you around, LOL?

Just kidding. Best of luck.

LarryWinger

Registered
Reaction score
Same to you Festerin! Err, FF, right? My brother in Philadelphia is an architect -- he's been one of my beta readers. He tells me that the era of pencils and paper is almost over, but I find that hard to believe. What genre are you writing in? cheers, L

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Larry!

While you two follow each other around, I'll put on my hostess apron and vacuum the welcome mat. I need to find out who's walking in here with their athletic shoes packed with mud and have words with them.

Maryn, all about words

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Larry. I'm a little further south than you (Peak District), although we share the Pennines...

LarryWinger

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ed_in_Bed . . . I don't know where Maryn or FF are, physically, but I imagine at least a few of us here will be watching the footy tonight? Speaking of latitudes though Ed_in_Bed, have you seen this Interactive Equivalent Latitude map?
I'm amused, personally, to think that Newcastle and we here are equivalent to the shoulder of James Bay under Hudson, while my brother in Philadelphia is at the same latitude as Italy's boot heel. My other brother near Niagara Falls might as well be in Bilbao. Not many people know what a great wine region southern Ontario actually is!

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ed_in_Bed . . . I don't know where Maryn or FF are, physically, but I imagine at least a few of us here will be watching the footy tonight? Speaking of latitudes though Ed_in_Bed, have you seen this Interactive Equivalent Latitude map?
I'm amused, personally, to think that Newcastle and we here are equivalent to the shoulder of James Bay under Hudson, while my brother in Philadelphia is at the same latitude as Italy's boot heel. My other brother near Niagara Falls might as well be in Bilbao. Not many people know what a great wine region southern Ontario actually is!
That's interesting. I hadn't realised just how southerly is Tokyo. Further south than parts of North Africa.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Larry! You'll love it here, I'm sure :)

You couldn't have come upon a better writing community than AW. We have over 65,000 members, many of whom are very active here on the boards. There is all kinds of strident discussion on all things writing and publishing (and plenty else), and more information here on said things than you can shake a stick at.

Our number one rule is, 'Respect Your Fellow Writer.' Abide by that and you'll get on just fine.

Enjoy!
Izz

LarryWinger

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Izzy . . . very keen on the mutual respect myself, and I've learned so much about empathy (well, I hope I have) after two years of our local Writing Group. Just at the moment, I'm particularly interested in best marketing strategies for Amazon/Kindle, but over the next months I expect to be writing in earnest as my third volume begins to take shape. And then there's travels in Harry Hymer too, so we hope it's a lovely and safe summer ahead.

All best wishes
Larry

Reactions: Izz

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Larry

I'm an expat Aussie, living in Canada. I also lived in England - Middlesex - in the early '70s.

LarryWinger

Registered
Reaction score
Hi TeresaRose ... the early '70s weren't the most salubrious times in England, I understand. Were you there during the 3 day weeks, the blackouts? It took me years to get used to the damp. But I've been happily domiciled up north for the past 30 years now, and the only place I'd rather be anymore is in Scotland, actually. Before IndyRef2. cheers for now, Larry

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Larry, well I was so young I don't really remember the blackouts; only certain snapshots. We had rabbits as pets and they were always escaping their ill-built hutch. My brother and I used to go door to door on a regular basis, asking if anyone had seen them. Makes me shudder now, as a parent, what could have happened to us! It's where I first saw snow. We would hop the back fence and go and visit the stables. In school, some teachers had a big ruler for naughty kids. Never me, of course!