• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Entry #39 - Beta Project 2014

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript Title: Rammed (The Song Wreckers, Book 2)
Manuscript Genre: Women’s Fiction w/ romantic elements
Manuscript Word Count: 65,000 (out of approx.. 110,000 – 115,000)
Is your manuscript finished?: No (But what I have is polished)

Hook:

Molly was a wreck, but now she’s ready to face life as it comes. After all, she’s grown more in the last two years than the thirty years before that! With her husband Caleb by her side, there’s nothing that can send her back to crazy town. Really. Not even discovering the creep who almost killed her is someone she’s known all along. Or finding out the jerk who left her high and dry after getting her pregnant took a bullet meant for Caleb. Ooh, and then there’s the fun of caring for the jerk—after all, he’s the biological father to her twins and likely saved her husband’s life. While we’re at it, better add the stress of a new career, her mom’s growing emotional distance, and her best friend’s mom insisting on being called—wait for it—Meemaw. Ugh!

This life thing? She’s got it! Totally. Well, hopefully.

First 750 Words:

Rammed

Ch. 1

All five Song Wreckers stood on the stage, equipment set up, ready to rock.

Katie, my best friend and lead singer, was front and center. Our bass player Heather stood to her right, bass guitar slung over her body. Our violinist Courtney was on Katie’s left, but walked several steps back to stand by Josh, our drummer and her husband. I play guitar and sing back up, and also stood to Katie’s left, but as soon as the time came I scurried to the back of the stage and hopped off. I jogged to the office and grabbed Brett’s portable radio.

There’s a huge black curtain that runs the length of the back of the stage so bar patrons aren’t able to see into the back hallway that leads to the alley door, Brett’s office, and the back side of the bar. I held the radio in one hand, pushed the curtain out of my way with the other and hopped back up on stage.

Katie was announcing the song. My song. “Alright y’all,” she twanged. “I think this is it.”

I plugged the radio in and turned it on. It was already on the correct station. I held it up to my microphone so it would blast through our speakers. After a series of commercials, the DJ’s perfect announcer voice came on. “Here’s the first single from Gina Swinger’s debut album. It’s called Bring Me Down. Go to our website when the song is done and let us know what you think. Thanks for listening to Detroit’s number one country music station, WYCD.” Despite it being the first time played on the air, I knew every piece of lyric.

That’s because I wrote it, along with eight other songs on this particular album. How cool am I? Molly Ramsey: Song Wrecker, and former high school teacher turned professional song writer. Go me.

Through the magic of music industry connections, I was able to find that Gina Swinger’s very first single from her very first album would be played at eight p.m. on the country music station in our area for the very first time. Since it happened to be the Saturday of a Wreckers Weekend, we decided to make it part of our first set. The audience at Brett’s, the only bar where The Song Wreckers plays the first weekend of every month, seemed to like it. They bopped along to it, and when it was over they cheered.

Later I would go online to see what the listeners in the metro Detroit area thought of it, but right now I had to tunnel my giddiness into the music I play live—right here, right now.

I spent the next several days with the radio on constantly, and became obsessed with listener feedback. It was very positive overall. There were a few trolls out there, but screw them. I felt vindicated in giving up my teaching career for this. Yeah, it was only one song on the album, but it wasn’t even my favorite one and was already receiving a fair amount of air time.

One late morning I darted into the kitchen and turned up the radio as soon as the DJ announced she was playing the song again. I paced around my kitchen as it played.

Halfway through the song Juanita walked into the kitchen. She comes over three or four days a week and helps me with my kids and the housework. But she is not a nanny. I don’t need one of those. “Molly—”

“SSHHHH! It’s on, it’s on!” I whispered.

She rolled her eyes, sick of me quieting her every time the song came on, but stood silent and listened while I continued to pace. When it was over, she said, “When you ran in here you left Zander’s diaper off. He just pooped on the floor. I cleaned him up and put a diaper on him, but I’m not touching the poop on the carpet.”

I planned on going online to see if WYCD’s listeners had anything new to say, however this took priority.

We walked back to the family room. Our faces pinched in disgust when we saw the mess. My twin boys, four months old, were now on the other side of the room laying on a blanket.

“Maybe you should just replace the carpet,” she suggested, covering her nose.

“What are you, afraid of a little poop?” I taunted.

She shivered in disgust. I walked to the kitchen and grabbed a huge wad of paper towels, then stuck them out to her. “Here you go.”

What do I look for in a beta reader?:

I’m looking for someone who will point out plot holes. I also want to know if my MC is likeable, and you are endeared to the Hero. Do you root for them as a couple? This is book 2, and the Heroine and Hero are married now, so I want to make sure you as a reader feel their spark. Also, does it work as a stand alone novel?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don’t really like this, sorry. First of all, I’m not quite sure what The Song Wreckers do. (Play music over top of songs playing on the radio?) More importantly, I think you started in the wrong place. You start off describing all these people on stage, their names, exactly where they’re standing, and it’s a little tedious. But OK, I assume this is going to be important, the beginning of a long scene. Then the song starts playing, and the scene’s over. So what was the point of the entire first page? A whole bunch of people are introduced for no purpose. I presume they’re important later on, but I won’t remember the names/what instruments they play by the time that happens. The first three pages are mainly just Molly hearing the song she wrote being played on the radio and looking at listener feedback online, and I’m not really itching to find out what happens next.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Rammed

Ch. 1

All five Song Wreckers stood on the stage, equipment set up, ready to rock. I think this opening sentence is serviceable, but not the best. It’s interesting in that it’s a cool situation (and the band name, hopefully ironic, is unique) but it doesn’t make me raise questions.

Katie, my best friend and lead singer, was front and center. Our bass player Heather stood to her right, bass guitar slung over her body. Our violinist Courtney was on Katie’s left, but walked several steps back to stand by Josh, our drummer and her husband. I play guitar and sing back up, and also stood to Katie’s left This is all really tell-y about their relationships to each other, etc. It seems unnecessary at this point and if I had opened this up at a bookstore, here’s where you would have lost me, but as soon as the time came I scurried to the back of the stage and hopped off. I jogged to the office and grabbed Brett’s portable radio. Who is Brett? I think he’s the only character who needs introduction, tbh, since he’s not a bandmate and she’s stealing his radio. Also, why is she doing this? Her band’s about to play? This confused me a little.

There’s a huge black curtain that runs the length of the back of the stage so bar patrons aren’t able to see into the back hallway that leads to the alley door, Brett’s office, and the back side of the bar. I held the radio in one hand, pushed the curtain out of my way with the other and hopped back up on stage. This felt like a setting info-dump. Try to describe the setting more actively, as the MC moves through it.

Katie was announcing the song. My song. “Alright y’all,” she twanged. “I think this is it.”

I plugged the radio in and turned it on. It was already on the correct station. I held it up to my microphone so it would blast through our speakers. After a series of commercials, the DJ’s perfect announcer voice came on. “Here’s the first single from Gina Swinger’s debut album. It’s called Bring Me Down. Go to our website when the song is done and let us know what you think. Thanks for listening to Detroit’s number one country music station, WYCD.” Despite it being the first time played on the air, I knew every piece of lyric.

That’s because I wrote it, along with eight other songs on this particular album. How cool am I? Molly Ramsey: Song Wrecker, and former high school teacher turned professional song writer. Go me.

Through the magic of music industry connections, I was able to find that Gina Swinger’s very first single from her very first album would be played at eight p.m. on the country music station in our area for the very first time. Since it happened to be the Saturday of a Wreckers Weekend, we decided to make it part of our first set. The audience at Brett’s, the only bar where The Song Wreckers plays the first weekend of every month, seemed to like it. They bopped along to it, and when it was over they cheered. This is also all infp-dumpy and backstory-ish. Although I now know who Brett is Maybe just include that they're palying at Brett's earlier :)

Later I would go online to see what the listeners in the metro Detroit area thought of it, but right now I had to tunnel my giddiness into the music I play live—right here, right now. I’m really confused by this and have lost track of time. Your switching between past and present isn’t being done in a way that’s totally smooth and understandable yet. Try and work on integrating backstory more seamlessly. Is she even playing music live? I thought she was just blasting a radio into speakers?

I spent the next several days with the radio on constantly, and became obsessed with listener feedback. It was very positive overall. There were a few trolls out there, but screw them. I felt vindicated in giving up my teaching career for this. Yeah, it was only one song on the album, but it wasn’t even my favorite one and was already receiving a fair amount of air time.

One late morning I darted into the kitchen and turned up the radio as soon as the DJ announced she was playing the song again. I paced around my kitchen as it played.

Halfway through the song Juanita walked into the kitchen. She comes over three or four days a week and helps me with my kids and the housework. But she is not a nanny. I don’t need one of those. This sounds kind of contemptuous like, “Pah! Those people who needs nannies!” But Juanita sounds like a nanny in all but name/a nanny that isn’t live-in “Molly—”

She rolled her eyes, sick of me quieting her every time the song came on, but stood silent and listened while I continued to pace. When it was over, she said, “When you ran in here you left Zander’s diaper off. He just pooped on the floor. I cleaned him up and put a diaper on him, but I’m not touching the poop on the carpet.” What’s her tone of voice like here? Her facial expression? I’m not sure whether this is playful/damn you! Or is this kind of resentful in tone?

I had -- there are a lot of tense issues in this piece, so maybe read through carefully and make sure that everything’s flowing well tense-wise planned on going online to see if WYCD’s listeners had anything new to say, however this took priority.

We walked back to the family room. Our faces pinched in disgust when we saw the mess. My twin boys, four months old, were now on the other side of the room laying on a blanket.

She shivered in disgust. I walked to the kitchen and grabbed a huge wad of paper towels, then stuck them out to her. “Here you go.” This really made me dislike MC. I mean, her hired help who has not a nanny has already said, “I’m not doing this. Here is my boundary”. Idk about their working relationship and maybe that makes it okay, but this seemed like a rude/arrogant way to treat Juanita to me.

So I really like the idea of a book about a female guitarist and songwriter. That’s an interesting character. However, I think this piece has some issues:

You’re not starting in the right place. There’s no tension in the opening scene, no goal or conflict. You also make a promise -- the promise of MC playing in a live band -- that you fail to keep. The reader immediately feels cheated.
There’s a lot of backstory and infodumping that feels unnecessary
Your MC is kind of coming off as unlikeable here. I’m not sure if that’s the point. I liked her initially because she was a songwriter, and really excited about what she’d done and fun, but the repetitive total spacey-ness made me a bit impatient with her and her interaction with Juanita made me think of her as callous
There are a lot of tense issues that make this confusing to read.

My advice would be to start somewhere else -- where the story starts -- and develop a scene where the MC has a goal. Maybe she’s pitching her song and she needs to convince people that it’s great etc. This will make your narrative less scattershot and automatically increase the tension in your story.

Hope this was at least somewhat helpful. Best of luck!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Entry # 39[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Manuscript Title:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Rammed (The Song Wreckers, Book 2)

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]First 750 Words:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Rammed

Ch. 1

All five Song Wreckers stood on the stage, equipment set up, ready to rock. [I don’t know from the first sentence that Song Wreckers are a band of musicians. As far as I know, song wreckers could be people or machines that interfere with performances of some sort; “ready to rock” could be used in a colloquial figurative sense. Consider whether you want the reader still trying to figure out what’s going on as I move from this paragraph to the next.]

Katie, my best friend and lead singer, was front and center. Our bass player Heather stood to her right, bass guitar slung over her body. Our violinist Courtney was on Katie’s left, but walked several steps back to stand by Josh, our drummer and her husband. I play guitar and sing back up, and also stood to Katie’s left, [A lot of detail about who is standing where. Is that really important? It is useful to know the names and what instruments each plays -- that answers my question from the first paragraph. But instead of listing them all, why not show each of them in action doing something besides just standing in a specific place? That might take more than one paragraph to introduce everyone. Or if it’s important to list all the names and instruments before anything actually happens, then list them more quickly and efficiently, without the locations.]
but as soon as the time [what time?] came I scurried to the back of the stage and hopped off. I jogged to the office and grabbed Brett’s portable radio. [who’s Brent?]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There’s a huge black curtain that runs the length of the back of the stage so bar patrons aren’t able to see into the back hallway that leads to the alley door, Brett’s office, [there’s a bit of a clue now] and the back side of the bar. I held the radio in one hand, pushed the curtain out of my way with the other and hopped back up on stage.

I plugged the radio in [if it’s portable, maybe it can rely on battery power for the length of one song?] and turned it on. It was already on the correct station. I held it up to my microphone so it would blast through our speakers. After a series of commercials, the DJ’s perfect announcer voice came on. [this could be funnier if there’s a big buildup to the song, she turns on the radio, and then . . . commercials. Or if you prefer to get to the song efficiently, don’t mention the commercials at all] “Here’s the first single from Gina Swinger’s debut album. It’s called Bring Me Down. Go to our website when the song is done and let us know what you think. Thanks for listening to Detroit’s number one country music station, WYCD.” Despite it being the first time played on the air, I knew every piece of lyric. [So the narrator is Gina Swinger?]

That’s because I wrote it, along with eight other songs on this particular album. How cool am I? Molly Ramsey: Song Wrecker, and former high school teacher turned professional song writer. Go me. [ah, OK]

Through the magic of music industry connections, I was able to find that Gina Swinger’s very first single from her very first album would be played at eight p.m. on the country music station in our area for the very first time. Since it happened to be the Saturday of a Wreckers Weekend, we decided to make it part of our first set. The audience at Brett’s, the only bar where The Song Wreckers plays the first weekend of every month, seemed to like it. They bopped along to it, and when it was over they cheered.

Later I would go online to see what the listeners in the metro Detroit area thought of it, but right now I had to tunnel my giddiness into the music I play live—right here, right now.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][OK -- I think you’re picturing a dramatic scene with the narrator’s band onstage in a bar venue, an important moment when the song she wrote will be played on the radio, so instead of playing live music they play the radio, the crowd in the bar likes it, and then Molly enjoys the high of that success while playing live with her band.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This might work as the opening scene in a movie, where we can see it all unfolding (although without the explanations -- all we would see is a band in a bar, playing a radio, and the crowd enjoying the song even though we don’t know how much Katie told them about why they’re playing the radio)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As a reader who has no idea who any of these people are, or where they are at first, or why they’re doing what they’re doing, I have to do a lot of work to try to get oriented and readjust my guesses when they turn out to be wrong.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’ve boldfaced phrases that shift back and forth in time, mini-flashbacks and flash-forward. Those contribute to the sense of disorientation. Especially in an opening scene, it really helps me as a reader if everything moves forward chronologically.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Assuming you want to open with this scene and you want to establish a small surprise about the band playing a radio onstage, what if you did something like the following?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Offstage ready to go on, Katie and Molly confirm their plan with some vagueness, e.g., referring to the radio as “it” or to “when the time comes” -- maybe Molly worries that some delay will cause them not to get onstage and ready to start before the song is played. Other band members can say or do something that contributes to that tension while introducing who they are.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brent(?) announces the Song Wreckers (in a way that makes it clear they’re a band, not a bunch of wrecking balls) and they take the stage to polite/enthusiastic applause. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Do they have time to greet the audience verbally and/or play one or more songs live? Or do they have to jump straight to the radio stunt? Let us hear what Katie says to the crowd to introduce it, so you don’t have to fill in so much (or any) background as narrative.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then show more detail about what the song sounds like, how the crowd reacts to it, how Molly and her bandmates react to that reaction, and some detail about the rest of the gig, the tunnelling her giddiness while she plays live part. Keep everything up to that part focused on what is happening right now in this bar -- let us see it clearly, hear it, smell it, feel it. And introduce some conflict -- even if it’s just “Will we get onstage on time?” at the beginning, but better if it’s the seeds of some other conflict within the band or between the band and Brent that will become more important later in the plot.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then in the transition out of the scene you can go back and explain any necessary backstory that didn’t make it into dialogue during][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I spent the next several days with the radio on constantly, and became obsessed with listener feedback. It was very positive overall. There were a few trolls out there, but screw them. I felt vindicated in giving up my teaching career for this. Yeah, it was only one song on the album, but it wasn’t even my favorite one and was already receiving a fair amount of air time. [remind us of the title of this song, since you said she wrote 8 songs on the album]

One late morning I darted into the kitchen and turned up the radio as soon as the DJ announced she was playing the song again. I paced around my kitchen as it played. [I’m not sure why she’s pacing? Is she annoyed that this particular song is getting all the attention and better songs are being ignored?]

Halfway through the song Juanita walked into the kitchen. She comes over three or four days a week and helps me with my kids and the housework. But she is not a nanny. I don’t need one of those. “Molly—”

She rolled her eyes, sick of me quieting her every time the song came on, but stood silent and listened while I continued to pace. When it was over, she said, “When you ran in here you left Zander’s diaper off. He just pooped on the floor. I cleaned him up and put a diaper on him, but I’m not touching the poop on the carpet.”

I planned on going online to see if WYCD’s listeners had anything new to say, [comma splice] however this took priority.

We walked back to the family room. Our faces pinched in disgust when we saw the mess. My twin boys, four months old, were now on the other side of the room lying on a blanket.

She shivered in disgust. I walked to the kitchen and grabbed a huge wad of paper towels, then stuck them out to her. “Here you go.” [do you really want to end the passage with Molly doing something that makes me hate her? I have no other reason to like her yet, so at this point I might say “unlikeable protagonist” and put the book back on the shelf. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you want me to like her from the start, give me reasons to sympathize with her -- she wants something and has to deal with obstacles to achieving it. For now, is what she wants public approval for her song? Why is that so important to her -- what are the stakes?][/FONT]