• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Entry #3 (A Historical) - Beta Project 2022

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript Title: The Scepter and the Distaff
Manuscript Genre: Historical fiction (adult)
Manuscript Word Count: 100k
Is your manuscript finished?: Y
Any trigger warnings? Some adult content (sexual + violence + the mention of sexual assault), and based on the time period, it's almost impossible to avoid religious + ethnic conflicts that would have historically been present. (I try to handle these sensitively, but again, there's no real way to completely avoid them without making things wildly anachronistic.)

Hook:

In two weeks, Princess Isabel of Castile will be wed or - if fortune favors her - dead. Fortune does favor her - her prospective groom mysteriously dies on the way to their wedding. However, the end of the engagement resumes the civil war between her two brothers. It also causes Isabel to realize that if she's to have any say in her future, or the future of her country, she will need political power.

The Scepter and the Distaff follows the life of Isabel of Castile from her aborted engagement to Pedro Giron to the birth of her first son, Juan, in 15th century Spain.

First 750 words:

In a week, Isabel would be wed or, if fortune favored her, dead. She had learned of her impending nuptials earlier in the day when her brother, the king, called her for an audience. She met him in the alcazar’s great hall. There Enrique lounged on silken pillows before the court. He was dressed in Moorish fashion, in brocade pajama pants that hung from his knobby, stick like legs. Over them he wore an enormous shirt that sagged off his narrow shoulders. His hat, with its foppish feather, hung forlornly over his flat nose. It had never healed correctly after a break.

About him the court buzzed. Servants wearing the discarded castoffs of their betters carried trays of wine. Both they and the nobles they served were a motley troop. Some dressed in Castilian style – heavy tunics and close fitting hose – while others wore the lighter silks favored by the Moors. Despite the style, none could mistake it for anything but a Christian court. Women mingled freely with men, talking and laughing with them as equals. They were not imprisoned in a gilded cell, the way they would be in a Moorish town. Isabel approved of this. Yet Isabel frowned at how the women’s necklines plunged immodestly low and the way the queen’s ladies exaggerated the sway of their hips with each toss of their bell-shaped skirts. Good Christian women should be modest; yet modesty – like most virtues – was severely lacking at the Castilian court.

Beside the king stood the only hint of sobriety, other than Isabel herself. For bending low over his arm was a dark robed figure, his black velvet coat glittering with heavy golden chains. It was Juan Pacheco, the Marquise of Villena. Isabel didn’t know what to think of him being there. Several months ago, he’d led a rebellion against the king, purportedly in support of her younger brother, Alfonso. If he truly believed in Alfonso’s cause, he ought to be guiding him, not sitting next to her older brother with their heads bowed low together as though they were dear friends. Yet he’d returned and his appearance made the hairs on the back of Isabel’s neck bristle.

King Enrique patted the cushion beside him and told Isabel to sit. Isabel tucked her skirts about her and knelt where he'd gestured, her feet pressed beneath her thighs as though she were praying. Beside her, a woman whose breasts were hanging out of her bodice giggled. “You won’t be so modest soon!”

Isabel ignored her, while Enrique waved a servant over to pour Isabel a glass of wine. She let it sit untouched while Enrique took a generous drink of his own goblet. His cheeks were flushed with drink. He leaned back in his silken cushions and said, “I have news, little sister. Wonderful news! I’ve finally arranged a marriage for you!”

Isabel’s heart tried to escape her throat. Less than a year ago, she’d met the King of Portugal and she knew the subject of her engagement had been brought up during meetings she had not been privy to. She had not much liked the king. He was three times her age and already had a grown son. But to please her brother, she had flirted with him. Should she have behaved more coolly?

“To whom?” she asked, keeping her head down so she would not easily betray her feelings when she heard the news.

“It’s a wonderful match!” Enrique said, as though she hadn’t said anything. “Oh, little sister, how many times in the past month have I asked for a way to end this civil war?”

“Many times.” Isabel heard him grumble on nearly a daily basis about Alfonso’s armies. Although considering that Alfonso was a mere boy of thirteen, everyone knew the rebellion was really led by Villena.

“Yes, many times.” Enrique stared at his glass, as though it held the answers to the mysteries of faith. “Which is why I know you’ll be grateful that I’ve found a way to end it.” He downed the rest of his wine and held out his glass for a servant to refill.

“How is that?” Isabel asked. She could see Villena out of the corner of her eye, and might have panicked, had she not known him happily wed. Unless something unfortunate had happened to his wife, she could not be given to him.

“Why, through marriage, of course. How else do women solve problems?” Enrique said. He laughed, and the court echoed him.

What do you look for in a beta?

Someone who can help me improve my work! Ideally someone who "gets" my vision for my novel and helps me find ways to improve it, from characterization issues, to continuity issues, to areas which might be confusing, to areas which drag or could use additional description/explanation. In particular with this novel, I think a sense as to where things are confusing would be very helpful (as I've spent so long researching that it's often hard for me to realize when what I'm writing wouldn't make sense to anyone else), a would notes on pacing. (What would not be helpful in this case would be a beta who wants me to make sweeping storyline changes - alas, since the major plot points all actually happened, it wouldn't make sense for me to do so. Although it is possible to omit certain events if they improve clarity.)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Entry #3

Hook:

In two weeks, Princess Isabel of Castile will be wed or - if fortune favors her - dead [Great succinct way to introduce the reluctant bride idea.]. Fortune does favor her - her prospective groom mysteriously dies on the way to their wedding. [Also intriguing, and it prepares the reader for adventure.] However, the end of the engagement resumes the civil war between her two brothers. It also causes Isabel to realize that if she's to have any say in her future, or the future of her country, she will need political power. [Compelling characterization of the MC as a reluctant heroine.]

The Scepter and the Distaff follows the life of Isabel of Castile from her aborted engagement to Pedro Giron to the birth of her first son, Juan, in 15th century Spain. [All of this looks like it will work well in your query, in case you wanted a critique of your hook.]

First 750 words:

In a week, Isabel would [In a first sentence, where the reader doesn't know anything, "would" appears to be a present-tense conditional instead of the preterite "will." It becomes plenty clear a moment later, but it's a bit awkward as the first verb in the book. You might consider "expected to wed" or something like that. It never hurts to replace a "to be" verb.] be wed or, if fortune favored her, dead. She had learned of her impending nuptials earlier in the day when her brother, the king, called her for an audience. [I'm imagining her as an important woman, but utterly powerless compared to the king.] She met him in the alcazar’s great hall. [I had a vague idea that alcazar was a title like czar. Maybe your readers will understand this just fine, but it's a word that might throw people. You're introducing a bunch of people in this opening, and I thought at first that the alcazar was another character.] There[,] Enrique lounged on silken pillows before the court. [These two sentences don't accomplish much, unless you prefer to set a lackadaisical pace. You can mention the silken pillows and the hall in the process of describing something more active. "As Enrique lounged on his silken pillows, he waved her into the great hall."] He was dressed in Moorish fashion, in brocade pajama pants that hung from his knobby, stick like legs. Over them he wore an enormous shirt that sagged off his narrow shoulders. His hat, with its foppish feather, hung forlornly over his flat nose. It had never healed correctly after a break. [This is another sentence that feel slow. You might want to combine it with another sentence.]

About him the court buzzed. Servants wearing the discarded castoffs of their betters [Is "betters" a term from the era? At first it sounded like a classist distinction, as if any servant might find hand-me-downs from any lord. But clearly you mean that they got the clothes from their own "masters," so you might just say that. Especially in the opening, the reader wants to infer as much as possible from as little as possible, so I don't like the implications of "betters."] carried trays of wine. [That's a nice detail that lends to rich visualization. I had never considered that servants needed hand-me-downs. I can picture their threadbare knees with sumptuous but faded cloths.] Both they and the nobles they served were a motley troop. Some dressed in Castilian style – heavy tunics and close fitting hose – while others wore the lighter silks favored by the Moors. Despite the style, none could mistake it for anything but a Christian court. Women mingled freely with men, talking and laughing with them as equals. They were not imprisoned in a gilded cell, the way they would be [This is a little awkward. If you can say "the way they would be" in fewer words by rearranging things, it would feel more intentional to me.] in a Moorish town. Isabel approved of this. Yet Isabel frowned at how the women’s necklines plunged immodestly low and the way the queen’s ladies exaggerated the sway of their hips with each toss of their bell-shaped skirts. Good Christian women should be modest; yet modesty – like most virtues – was severely lacking at the Castilian court. [Great setup so far. The writing is still promising adventure and a gateway into another world.]

Beside the king stood the only hint of sobriety, other than Isabel herself. For bending low over his arm was a dark robed figure, his black velvet coat glittering with heavy golden chains [I presume that "sobriety" refers to his dress, not his drinking. But heavy golden chains sound quite opulent.]. It was [This verb is passive again. Try to combine this sentence with another to keep the pace quicker. "Juan Pacheco, the Marquise of Villena, enjoyed the king's attention, despite having led an unsuccessful rebellion several months ago."] Juan Pacheco, the Marquise of Villena. Isabel didn’t know what to think of him being there [Could you use "his presence" instead of "him being there"?]. Several months ago, he’d led a rebellion against the king, purportedly in support of her younger brother, Alfonso. If he truly believed in Alfonso’s cause, he ought to be guiding him, not sitting next to her older brother with their heads bowed low together as though they were dear friends [I want to see the scene in my mind and make my own decisions. You already said that the Marquise was bending low over the king. Here you repeat it, and spell out "as though they were dear friends." As a reader, I want you to have more faith in me to figure out the implications.]. Yet he’d returned and his appearance made the hairs on the back of Isabel’s neck bristle. [That's a cliche reaction, so don't use it unless you really think that's how you would react in her place.]

King Enrique patted the cushion beside him and told Isabel to sit. Isabel tucked her skirts about her and knelt where he'd gestured, her feet pressed beneath her thighs as though she were praying. [Great description.] Beside her, a woman whose breasts were hanging out of her bodice giggled. “You won’t be so modest soon!” [This sounds more like a stilted playground taunt than a teasing woman. Maybe something like, "Look at her preciousness!" or, "That poor man!" or biting deeper with, "That poor man better find a warm mistress!"]

Isabel ignored her, while Enrique waved a servant over to pour Isabel a glass of wine. She let it sit untouched while Enrique took a generous drink of his own goblet. His cheeks were flushed with drink. [This is another "to be" verb, and each one stops the action. You already hinted that the court is acting irresponsibly, so I don't think you need to say both "generous" and "flushed."] He leaned back in his silken cushions and said, “I have news, little sister. Wonderful news! I’ve finally arranged a marriage for you!” [That quote sounds natural.]

Isabel’s heart tried to escape her throat. Less than a year ago, she’d met the King of Portugal and she knew the subject of her engagement had been brought up during meetings she had not been privy to ["Private meetings" is more succinct.]. She had not much liked the king. He was three times her age and already had a grown son. But to please her brother, she had flirted with him. Should she have behaved more coolly?

“To whom?” she asked, keeping her head down so she would not easily betray her feelings when she heard the news.

“It’s a wonderful match!” Enrique said, as though she hadn’t said anything. [I like how this characterizes their relationship.] “Oh, little sister, how many times in the past month have I asked for a way to end this civil war?”

“Many times.” Isabel heard him grumble on nearly a daily basis about Alfonso’s armies. Although considering that Alfonso was a mere boy of thirteen, everyone knew the rebellion was really led by Villena. [I personally would leave out the exposition in this paragraph. We don't need to know the backstory, yet. Isabel's explanation "Many times" will keep the reader engaged.]

“Yes, many times.” Enrique stared at his glass, as though it held the answers to the mysteries of faith. “Which is why I know you’ll be grateful that I’ve found a way to end it.” He downed the rest of his wine and held out his glass for a servant to refill.

“How is that?” Isabel asked. She could see Villena out of the corner of her eye, and might have panicked, had she not known him happily wed. Unless something unfortunate had happened to his wife, she could not be given to him. [This helps establish a tone of helplessness for Isabel. Not only does she not choose her suitor, but she also has pretty much no idea how bad the news is going to be.]

“Why, through marriage, of course. How else do women solve problems?” Enrique said. He laughed, and the court echoed him. [I like this window on the king. He's not a villain, but he's certainly a swine by modern standards.]

This is a great place to begin the story. My favorite part was Isabel's position in the court being illustrated by the king's treatment. The setting pulled its weight by engaging me in imagining the time and place. It made me confident that there would be plenty of colorful historical details in the rest of the book. I would like it if you resisted the temptation to introduce exposition in the first chapter, particularly, "Isabel heard him grumble…" There's plenty of time to decide who's to blame for the rebellion. Right now you have to make this one moment come alive so the reader can't look away.

If this feedback is useful, I'd like to read the rest of the first act.

Reactions: Mutive

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
#3:

Hook:

In two weeks, Princess Isabel of Castile will be wed or - if fortune favors her - dead. Fortune does favor her - her prospective groom mysteriously dies on the way to their wedding. However, the end of the engagement resumes the civil war between her two brothers. It also causes Isabel to realize that if she's to have any say in her future, or the future of her country, she will need political power.

The Scepter and the Distaff follows the life of Isabel of Castile from her aborted engagement to Pedro Giron to the birth of her first son, Juan, in 15th century Spain.

[Great hook. No comments!]

First 750 words:

In a week, Isabel would be wed or, if fortune favored her, dead. She had learned of her impending nuptials earlier in the day when her brother, the king, called her for an audience. [Suggestion: Look at verb tense here and make sure it's consistent or what you intend to use throughout. "Would be / favored / had learned..." Don't give an agent any reason to say no in those first few sentences.] She met him in the alcazar’s great hall. There Enrique lounged on silken pillows before the court. He was dressed in Moorish fashion, in brocade pajama pants that hung from his knobby, stick like [stick-like?] legs. Over them he wore an enormous shirt that sagged off his narrow shoulders. His hat, with its foppish feather, hung forlornly over his flat nose. It had never healed correctly after a break.

About him the court buzzed. [Returning to this spot from a bit further down. Perhaps a deeper description here to indicate how "not sober" things are. From the word "buzzed," I pictured an excited anticipation. Then with the wine, I pictured a cocktail party type vibe with scattered chatter, maybe some sporadic laughter. Then I see only the king, Isabel and the Marquise are the only sober people.] Servants wearing the discarded castoffs of their betters carried trays of wine. Both they and the nobles they served were a motley troop. Some dressed in Castilian style – heavy tunics and close fitting hose – while others wore the lighter silks favored by the Moors. Despite the style, none could mistake it for anything but a Christian court. Women mingled freely with men, talking and laughing with them as equals. They were not imprisoned in a gilded cell, the way they would be in a Moorish town. Isabel approved of this. Yet Isabel frowned at how the women’s necklines plunged immodestly low and the way the queen’s ladies exaggerated the sway of their hips with each toss of their bell-shaped skirts. Good Christian women should be modest; yet modesty – like most virtues – was severely lacking at the Castilian court.

Beside the king stood the only hint of sobriety, other than Isabel herself. For Bending low over his arm [his who? The king or the "hint of sobriety?"] was a dark robed figure, his black velvet coat glittering with heavy golden chains. It was Juan Pacheco, the Marquise of Villena. Isabel didn’t know what to think of him being there. [Is it possible to give her a stronger emotion here? Surprise? Shock? Concern? It would help us connect with the MC.] Several months ago, he’d led a rebellion against the king, purportedly in support of her [their?] younger brother, Alfonso. If he truly believed in Alfonso’s cause, he ought to be guiding him, not sitting next to her older brother with their heads bowed low together as though they were dear friends. Yet he’d returned and his appearance made the hairs on the back of Isabel’s neck bristle. [Good! So she does know what to make of it. This isn't good. Someone is betraying someone - and someone is being betrayed - and they're both her brothers. Bring us into that feeling with her.]

King Enrique patted the cushion beside him and told Isabel to sit. Isabel tucked her skirts about her and knelt where he'd gestured, her feet pressed beneath her thighs as though she were praying. Beside her, a woman whose breasts were hanging out of her bodice giggled. “You won’t be so modest soon!”

Isabel ignored her [Great spot to give us some reaction. We know she'd rather NOT get married. How does she FEEL about this situation and this woman mocking her?], while Enrique waved a servant over to pour Isabel a glass of wine. She let it sit untouched while Enrique took a generous drink gulp (to eliminate the echo) of his own goblet. His cheeks were flushed with drink. He leaned back in his silken cushions and said, “I have news, little sister. Wonderful news! I’ve finally arranged a marriage for you!” [AHH! Okay. I would delete the first few lines of the manuscript. You tell us what's about to happen, then you show it happening. Let it play out for the reader instead. She's been ordered to appear before the king, her brother, while he's having massive tensions with their other brother. Bring us into THIS moment with her. She's either wondering what her brother wants or pretty darn sure. Either way, she has feelings about this!]

Isabel’s heart tried to escape her throat. Less than a year ago, she’d met the King of Portugal and she knew the subject of her engagement had been brought up during meetings she had not been privy to. She had not much liked the king. He was three times her age and already had a grown son. But to please her brother, she had flirted with him. Should she have behaved more coolly? [Perhaps give us a hint of her objections, the personal stakes for her if she marries him. Thinking about that time, from the moment they were born, royal women knew their future would be used for political alliance. Certainly she must have known flirting with the man would be bad news. If she doesn't want to marry him, then... yeah... treating him more coolly would have had a more favorable result for her. And WHY doesn't she want to marry him? She hates Portugal? Has a secret love here?]

“It’s a wonderful match!” Enrique said, as though she hadn’t said anything. “Oh, little sister, how many times in the past month have I asked for a way to end this civil war?”

“Many times.” Isabel heard him grumble on nearly a daily basis about Alfonso’s armies. [Here's a great spot to get a little deeper. What about Alfonso's armies? Are they brutal? Pillagers? Brother is always a thorn in his side?] Although considering that Alfonso was a mere boy of thirteen, everyone knew the rebellion was really led by Villena.

“How is that?” Isabel asked. [But she knows because he already said...] She could see Villena out of the corner of her eye, and might have panicked, had she not known him happily wed. Unless something unfortunate had happened to his wife, she could not be given to him. [But she already knows it's to the King of Portugal.]

“Why, through marriage, of course. How else do women solve problems?” Enrique said. He laughed, and the court echoed him.

Notes:
  • It would great to see a strong statement of her ultimate want going into the scene and a sense from her of what she'll have to give up if she marries this man. She tells us in the first sentence she'd rather be dead than marry him, but we don't know why she dislikes him and wants something different.
  • I suggest removing the time jump posed by those first few sentences. Don't tell us what's about to happen... put us in the scene with her.
  • It sounds like a fascinating time and a person I don't anything about. You have a great story to tell here! Congrats on the awesome inspiration!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Entry #3

Hook:

In two weeks, Princess Isabel of Castile will be wed or - if fortune favors her - dead. Fortune does favor her - her prospective groom mysteriously dies on the way to their wedding. So is she going to be executed as a result? I like the wordplay, but it doesn't quite line up. However, the end of the engagement resumes the civil war between her two brothers. It also causes Isabel to realize that if she's to have any say in her future, or the future of her country, she will need political power. This is really strong so far.

The Scepter and the Distaff follows the life of Isabel of Castile from her aborted engagement to Pedro Giron to the birth of her first son, Juan, in 15th century Spain. And this is... not. I know it's historical and I even appreciate your setting out the rough events to help orient me, but it takes a story that's been rooted right in her character and pulls it straight out. You could put this in a query--but it would be best as part of the housekeeping: TITLE is complete at X words, and follows the life of.... That way it's not in the way.

Otherwise, this is a very strong hook. For a query, I'd like one more step of plot after that last (full) graf, to give me an idea what the story is, because the story is what Isabel does. You can use the extra words saved by the housekeeping to do it.

First 750 words:

In a week, Isabel would be wed or, if fortune favored her, dead. Bold leading with this. I like it. She had learned of her impending nuptials earlier in the day when her brother, the king, called her for an audience. Okay, now it feels like I'm reading a second query. Too high-level. She met him in the alcazar’s great hall. There, Enrique lounged on silken pillows before the court. He was dressed in Moorish fashion, in brocade pajama pants that hung from his knobby, stick like legs. Over them he wore an enormous shirt that sagged off his narrow shoulders. His hat, with its foppish feather, hung forlornly over his flat nose. It had never healed correctly after a break.

Voice is always subjective, but I want 100% more of it. Start with diction. Every sentence here is straight declarative, which gives it a very reported, distant feel. That stops when you start describing Enrique's clothes, but I have very little interest in his attire and much more interest in being thrust immediately into the mind of one of the most legendarily conniving queens in all of history.

About him the court buzzed. Servants wearing the discarded castoffs of their betters carried trays of wine. Both they and the nobles they served were a motley troop. Some dressed in Castilian style – heavy tunics and close fitting hose – while others wore the lighter silks favored by the Moors. Despite the style, none could mistake it for anything but a Christian court. Women mingled freely with men, talking and laughing with them as equals. Really? I get the comparison to Islam, but--and I'm no expert--I'm reasonably sure Moorish courts also had some women present; they were also pretty legendary for their wildness. They were not imprisoned in a gilded cell, the way they would be in a Moorish town. Isabel approved of this. Yet Isabel frowned at how the women’s necklines plunged immodestly low this, too, feels a bit rich, but I'd buy it if you gave me more voice and more of a window into the character and the way the queen’s ladies exaggerated the sway of their hips with each toss of their bell-shaped skirts. Good Christian women should be modest; yet modesty – like most virtues – was severely lacking at the Castilian court.

I confess I don't know that much about Isabel of Castile, but what I do know of her, "modesty" is not the first word that springs to mind. The trick with any historical is to plunge me so fully into the character's world that I pick up the period context effortlessly--if Isabel thinks the courtiers are insufficiently Christian and/or immoral, I need to understand that with as much nuance as possible, so it reads as a person judging them for her own reasons, with her own standards.

But again, the voice is very flat. Isabel approved. Isabel frowned. Nothing is actually happening externally, so I'm looking for deep POV to reveal the internal motion.

Beside the king stood the only hint of sobriety, other than Isabel herself. For bending low over his arm was a dark robed figure, his black velvet coat glittering with heavy golden chains. It was Juan Pacheco, the Marquise of Villena. Isabel didn’t know what to think of him being there. Several months ago, he’d led a rebellion against the king, purportedly in support of her younger brother, Alfonso. If he truly believed in Alfonso’s cause, what is Alfonso's cause? he ought to be guiding him, not sitting next to her older brother with their heads bowed low together as though they were dear friends. Yet he’d returned and his appearance made the hairs on the back of Isabel’s neck bristle.

This is better in that I'm getting a bit more of her perception, but I still think I need more nuance. Alfonso just led a rebellion. Her thoughts aren't going to be flat and descriptive. Even a very calculating woman--which Isabel is--would be, well, calculating, seeing the angles, seeing opportunities. Right now, she feels like a bystander, info-dumping for the reader.

Isabel ignored her, while Enrique waved a servant over to pour Isabel a glass of wine. She let it sit untouched while Enrique took a generous drink of his own goblet. His cheeks were flushed with drink. He leaned back in his silken cushions and said, “I have news, little sister. Wonderful news! I’ve finally arranged a marriage for you!”

I have the same desire for nuance with the dialogue. This is one of the most famous courts of the era, renowned for its style and intrigue. This is mostly throwaway dialogue, but it's got to be Isabellan throwaway dialogue. Even when they're being petty and silly, I expect it to be stylishly petty and silly. Plus, voice should immediately distinguish these very well-known, important characters from each other. I'm going to need to keep track of who Enrique is and why he wants Isabel wedded to Pedro. This line is an opportunity to show a hint of that, and add memorable colour to the king, who would after all be the single most important character at this court.

Isabel’s heart tried to escape her throat. All her reactions thus far have been cliches--neck hairs, heart leaping--and they're stock clichés that historically deny characters (often women) much agency. Isabel is not the kind of character who I want to see jumping and fainting every which way. I want to see her mind working, playing her own reactions off every little thing that happens. Less than a year ago, she’d met the King of Portugal and she knew the subject of her engagement had been brought up during meetings she had not been privy to. E.g., how does she know this? She had not much liked the king. He was three times her age and already had a grown son. But to please her brother, she had flirted with him. Should she have behaved more coolly? This gives me a little bit, but rhetorical questions are generally weak. It's good that she's thinking this, evaluating herself and her own reactions, but give me more depth, more nuance.

“It’s a wonderful match!” Beware exclamation points, especially in dialogue. They often flatten tone which would otherwise be evident from the line's own context (as it is here; of course Enrique is excited) while simultaneously making the characters sound like they're jumped up on stimulants. Enrique said, as though she hadn’t said anything. “Oh, little sister, how many times in the past month have I asked for a way to end this civil war?”

“Many times.” Isabel heard him grumble on nearly a daily basis about Alfonso’s armies. Although considering that Alfonso was a mere boy of thirteen, everyone knew the rebellion was really led by Villena.

This is all info-dump.

“How is that?” Isabel asked. By being wed. It's not a good sign that I'm faster than Isabel of Castile; historically, there's pretty good evidence she's smarter than me. She could see Villena out of the corner of her eye, and might have panicked, had she not known him happily wed. I don't follow this sentence. Unless something unfortunate had happened to his wife, she could not be given to him.

Why would her marriage to Villena end the war? How would she react to that? Obviously the period means she doesn't have that much choice, but even if this is before Isabel at the height of her powers, she's not just a pawn in all of this.

Okay. So. Building off the above, yes, the 15th-century Spanish court was sexist. Almost comically so. But this does not mean women in the 15th century did not have agency. They couldn't pick their husbands, at least not unilaterally, but a woman like Isabel of Castile would not have been an object, sitting around demurely listening and relaying information to the reader. She's so famously ruthless and calculating that she's my go-to example for avoidance of this exact trope.

You've used your first 750 words of a book about one of the most famously brutal women in history showing me at great length how oppressed and restrained she is by patriarchy. And while the patriarchy is accurate (though I'm not sure your presentation of it is), this denies Isabel any agency as a real actor in her world, which is especially troubling given what she would go on to do. I have no interest in reading a book where the female character is a wallflower present solely to make a point about how awful the men around them treat them. Doubly so when that woman is Isabella of Castile.

In general, it feels like there's a lot of anachronism throughout here--I know you say you've done a lot of research and it shows in all the relationships and such, but it's more a perspective thing, in that the writing voice feels very much like a contemporary voice writing about the period, even judging it, rather than being the voice of someone living in it, familiar with it, who would see it as normal (and know how to move within it; this gets to Isabel's role, too). The POV seems to be Isabel's, but she's seeing things--the women's necklines, Enrique, even the politics--as if she were a history student reading a secondary source. That's not why I read historical fiction. I read historical
fiction to throw me into the greatest places in human history (like the Castilian court) and to show me the close perspective and intimate events the historical record cannot. I need to feel like I'm living in 15th-century Spain, not being told about it.

A lot of this would be more easily accomplished with an opener that wasn't 95% info-dump. I have a rough understanding of the period's political scene, and your excellent hook helps situate it, too, but what I'm mostly looking for is what Isabel is going to be doing (absent from the hook as well), which means I need immediate, present action. Nothing's moving in this scene. The king is just there. He just tells her she's to be wed because that's what the plot and the broader situation calls for, and Isabel tells me all about that broader situation in great detail. But I don't care, and I'm bored. I'm in the head of one of my heroes--I want to see every weakness in the court around her, know everyone's plans and purposes, and follow her every little move to undo them.

Reactions: Woollybear

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Entry #3

The Scepter and the Distaff is a manuscript.
Any trigger warnings? Some adult content (sexual + violence + the mention of sexual assault), based on the period in the time this pertains, it’s almost impossible to avoid religious + ethnic conflicts that would have historically been present. (I try to handle these sensitively, but again, there’s no real way to completely avoid them without making things wildly anachronistic.)

Hook:

In two weeks, Princess Isabel of Castile will either be wed or - if fortune favors her -be dead. To her relief fortune cast its cloak of protection in her favor and not a moment too soon - her prospective groom mysteriously died on the way to their wedding. However, as often happens, a change in one’s life brings forth a significant new path. In this case, the end of the engagement resumes the civil war between her two brothers. It also causes Isabel to realize that if she’s to have any say in her future or the future of her country, she will need political power.

The Scepter and the Distaff is a manuscript that chronicles the events in the life of Isabel of Castile, during 15th century Spain, within a fictional tale spanning from her aborted engagement to Pedro Giron to the birth of her first son.

First 750 words:

In a week, Isabel would either have wed or, if fortune favored her, have died. She had learned of her impending nuptials earlier in the day when her brother, King Enrique, called her for an audience. She met him in the alcazar’s great hall. There she found him lounged on silken pillows before the court, dressed in Moorish fashion, which included brocade pajama pants that hung from his knobby, stick-like legs. To accompany this, he wore an enormous shirt that sagged off his narrow shoulders as if it belonged to an older and much larger brother. His hat, with its foppish feather, hung forlornly over his flat nose, not properly adjusted after a break.

The great hall buzzed with the sounds of activity as the servants, wearing the discarded castoffs of their betters, carried trays of wine. The motley attire of both the servants and the nobles they served included a Castilian style – heavy tunics and close-fitting hose – while others wore the lighter silks favored by the Moors. Despite the two styles, none could mistake it for anything but a Christian court. Women mingled freely with men, talking and laughing with them as equals. Someone did not imprison them in a gilded cell, the way they would be in a Moorish town. Isabel approved of their freedom of expression and movement amongst their male counterparts, yet, unlike her modest attire including the neckline of her gown riding across the top of her breasts, she frowned at how the women’s necklines plunged immodestly low and the way the queen’s ladies exaggerated the sway of their hips with each toss of their bell-shaped skirts. Good Christian women should be modest, yet modesty – like most virtues – was severely lacking at the Castilian court.

Beside the king was a man who, other than Isabel herself, exhibited a hint of sobriety as he was bending low over the king’s arm. He wore a dark velvet coat adorned with heavy golden chains that glittered in the candlelight. Isabel knew him as Juan Pacheco, the marquis of Villani, a viceroy to King Alfonso. She didn’t know what to think of him being there. Several months ago, his king led a rebellion against his brother, King Enrique, in whose court she now stood. If Pacheco truly believed in Alfonso’s cause, ought he be at his castle with Villani, not sitting next to her older brother, King Enrique, with their heads bowed low together as though they were dear friends? Yet here he was, and his appearance made the hairs on the back of Isabel’s neck bristle.

King Enrique patted the cushion beside him and told Isabel to sit. Isabel tucked her skirts about her and knelt where he’d gestured, her feet pressed beneath her thighs as though she were praying. Kneeling beside her, a woman whose breasts were hanging out of her bodice giggled as her eyes roamed over Isabel’s bodice and said, after moving close to her ear, “You won’t be so modest soon!”

Isabel turned her head away and kept her eyes forward, not wanting to engage with the woman for in doing so, it would also force her to share the little space between her and the woman’s ample breasts. In its stead, she watched Enrique as he waved a servant over to pour Isabel a goblet of wine. She let hers remain untouched while Enrique took a generous drink and cause his cheeks to flush. Momentarily satiated and burping with sufficient abandon to cause several heads to turn, he leaned back in his silken cushions and said, “I have news, little sister. Wonderful news! I’ve finally arranged a marriage for you!”

Isabel’s heart tried to escape her throat as she realized the significance of today’s meeting between the king and Villani’s marquis. Less than a year ago, she’d met the King of Portugal and though she was not privy to their meeting, she knew from the gossip shared by her lady’s maid that they broached the subject of her engagement. The thought of this elder king, three times her age and father to a grown son in his thirties, was most disagreeable. But to please her brother, she had flirted with him, not realizing her participation helped determine her fate. In retrospect, it was now obvious her behavior should have been less flirty and coy.

“To whom?” she asked, keeping her head down so she would not easily betray her prior knowledge and feelings.

“It’s a wonderful match!” Enrique said, as though she had said nothing. “Oh, little sister, how many times in the past month have I asked for a way to end this civil war?”

“Many times,” she responded. Isabel heard him grumble on nearly a daily basis about Alfonso’s armies. Although considering that Alfonso was a mere boy of thirteen, everyone knew his viceroy, Villani — known to take aggressive positions in almost all matters — orchestrated the rebellion.

“Yes, many times,” Enrique said in agreement as he stared at his glass, as though it held the answers to the mysteries of the universe. Following his lengthy pause, he said, “Which is why I know you’ll be pleased to hear it has ended.” He downed the rest of his wine and held out his glass for a servant to refill.

“How is that?” Isabel asked, unsure of her suspicions as to whom the king had arranged her betrothal; the king had yet to issue an edict. She could see Juan Pacheco out of the corner of her eye, and might have panicked at the possibility it could be this troll had she not known him happily wed. Unless something unfortunate had happened to his wife, it could not be him.

“Through marriage, of course. How else do women solve problems?” Enrique said. He laughed, and the court echoed him.

Someone who can help me improve my work! Ideally someone who “gets” my vision for my novel and helps me find ways to improve it, from characterization issues, to continuity issues, to areas which might be confusing, to areas which drag or could use additional description/explanation. In particular with this novel, I think a sense as to where things are confusing would be very helpful (as I’ve spent so long researching that it’s often hard for me to realize when what I’m writing wouldn’t make sense to anyone else), a would notes on pacing. (What would not be helpful in this case would be a beta who wants me to make sweeping storyline changes - alas, since the major plot points all actually happened, it wouldn’t make sense for me to do so. Although it is possible to omit certain events if they improve clarity.)

Editorial Comments:

I am hopeful my comments help and not confuse.

I was unsure of the King of Portugal’s significance. Is he an ally of Alfonso? Will the marriage of their sister to this unknown person bring benefit to all three of their kingdoms? It might be helpful to give clarity on why he’s mentioned.

I switched your quote marks to be all curly. You, or your program, switched them between curly and straight. This happened to me, too. I went into the settings for paragraph and noted all be curly, in my case. It straightened out the problem for me.

The story is intriguing as I’m a loyal fan of historical fiction. You’ve set the scene well. My mind envisions through your words the events and location, the movement in the crowd, and the appearance and attitude of the king and his visitor. I look forward to reading more of your novel.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Entry #3

Any trigger warnings? Some adult content (sexual + violence + the mention of sexual assault), and based on the time period, it's almost impossible to avoid religious + ethnic conflicts that would have historically been present. (I try to handle these sensitively, but again, there's no real way to completely avoid them without making things wildly anachronistic.)

Hook:

In two weeks, Princess Isabel of Castile will be wed or - if fortune favors her - dead.
( This is also the first sentence of your ms so it's worth thinking about. It's hard to imagine how she could be better off dead. Without more explanation it seems like an attempt to insert more drama than is needed. That Princess Isabel is about to be forced to marry against her will is pretty dramatic in and of itself without considering that she would be better off dead. Is it being stated that she would objectively be better dead or in her mind does she want death rather than marriage to a particular man or marriage at all? Is she contemplating suicide or just wishing for death?
In addition, I found the introduction of the rhyme “wed” and “dead” to be distracting. It seems to trivialize her situation and took me out of the story. This is purely subjective and others may not react that way.
Fortune does favor her - her prospective groom mysteriously dies ( great hook. Intriguing ) on the way to their wedding. However, the end of the engagement resumes (perhaps another word or phrase: “leads to the resumption of” ) the civil war between her two brothers. It also causes Isabel to realize that if she's to have any say in her future, or the future of her country, she will need political power. (Good)

This story sounds fascinating.
If this hook is to be the bones of a query we don't have much information as to the character of the Princess. She doesn't take any action to avoid the dreaded marriage. Fate seems to take care of it for her. There's no indication as to what she does or intends to do to achieve political power.What does she want with that power? Make her own marriage decision or rule her kingdom?

First 750 words:

In a week, Isabel would be wed or, if fortune favored her, dead. She had learned of her impending nuptials earlier in the day when her brother, the king, called her for an audience. She met him (the king? Or fiancee?)in the alcazar’s great hall. There Enrique ( king?) lounged on silken pillows before the court. He was dressed in Moorish fashion, in brocade pajama pants that hung from his knobby, stick like legs. Over them he wore an enormous shirt that sagged off his narrow shoulders. His hat, with its foppish feather, hung forlornly over his flat nose. It ( specify? His unfortunate nose ) had never healed correctly after a break.

About him the court buzzed. Servants wearing the discarded castoffs of their betters carried trays of wine. (commas)
(Did servants of the era receive the cast-off clothes of their employers? This would seem a little odd as I imagine the fine, elaborate garments of the wealthy would be worn to display their power and it would be unlikely that they would share the symbols of power with people they regarded as lesser than themselves. Also if the use of the term “betters” is from a view point a character in the story it fits well, but if it is an objective description of the character of those non-servants, then lots to discuss)

Both they and the nobles they served were a motley troop. Some dressed in Castilian style – heavy tunics and close fitting hose – while others wore the lighter silks favored by the Moors. Despite the style, none could mistake it for anything but a Christian court. Women mingled freely with men, talking and laughing with them as equals. They were not imprisoned in a gilded cell, the way they would be in a Moorish town. Isabel approved of this. Yet Isabel frowned at how the women’s necklines plunged immodestly low and the way the queen’s ladies exaggerated the sway of their hips with each toss of their bell-shaped skirts. Good Christian women should be modest; yet modesty – like most virtues – was severely lacking at the Castilian court.

Beside the king stood the only hint of sobriety, other than Isabel herself. For bending low over his arm was a dark robed figure, his black velvet coat glittering with heavy golden chains. It was Juan Pacheco, the Marquise of Villena. Isabel didn’t know what to think of him being there. Several months ago, he’d led a rebellion against the king, purportedly in support of her younger brother, Alfonso. If he truly believed in Alfonso’s cause, he ought to be guiding him, not sitting next to her older brother with their heads bowed low together as though they were dear friends. Yet he’d returned and his appearance (presence or physical appearance? ) made the hairs on the back of Isabel’s neck bristle.(building mystery and tension)

Isabel’s heart tried to escape her throat. Less than a year ago, she’d met the King of Portugal and she knew the subject of her engagement had been brought up during meetings she had not been privy to. She had not much liked the king. He was three times her age and already had a grown son. But to please her brother, she had flirted with him (it seems odd that she did this given his advanced age and she didn't like him) .Should she have behaved more coolly?

“How is that?” Isabel asked. She could see Villena out of the corner of her eye, and might have panicked, had she not known him happily wed. Unless something unfortunate had happened to his wife, she could not be given to him.

“Why, through marriage, of course. How else do women solve problems?” (nice set up —hopefully for revenge of Princess Isabel) Enrique said. He laughed, and the court echoed him.
(Good tension)

I definitely want to know who she's been engaged to, what her reaction is, what Enrique’s fate is, how she changes how women are treated and what happens next, so would read on.
I enjoyed this very much.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your critiques! I really appreciate the help in honing the first few pages of my manuscript. I'm working in finding ways to best incorporate them into the greater arc. :) (And will gladly discuss the history of the time and place with anyone who has ever needed trouble falling asleep. Although, no, seriously. It is a really interesting period. And really rich regarding sources, even if a lot haven't been translated into English. Grumble, grumble, my late-Medieval Spanish sucks and I read no Latin, grumble, grumble.)

Reactions: Sage

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Caveat added in edit mode: I know nothing of Isabel of Castile but sounds like one of your critters does and I'd take that crit to heart. :)

In two weeks, Princess Isabel of Castile will be wed or - if fortune favors her - released from the commitment. Fortune does favor her - her prospective groom mysteriously dies on the way to their wedding. However, the end of the engagement resumes the civil war between her two brothers. (is one of Castile?) It also causes Isabel to realize that if she's to have any say in her future, or the future of her country, she will need political power.

The Scepter and the Distaff follows the life of Isabel of Castile from her aborted engagement to Pedro Giron to the birth of her first son, Juan, in 15th century Spain. (I'd move that to after Isabel of Castile)

First 750 words:

In a week, Isabel would be wed or, if fortune favored her, dead. She had learned of her impending nuptials earlier in the day when her brother, the king, called her for an audience. She met him in the alcazar’s great hall. There Enrique lounged next to his queen (?) on silken pillows before the court. He was dressed in Moorish fashion, in brocade pajama pants that hung from his knobby, stick like legs. Over them he wore an enormous shirt that sagged off his narrow shoulders. His hat, with its foppish feather, hung forlornly over his flat nose. It had never healed correctly after a break. (You can add a note within this--as small as a word--to hint at Isabel's (and not the narrator's) opinion of him. 'lounged' and 'knobby' begins to get there, but from the narrator, and you might consider what emotion, from Isabel, would serve the opening hook best. Adoration? Disdain? Grudging respect? And then add up to a sentence to color this opening paragraph thusly. She sympathized with his boredom is different than She failed to understand how he could take his role so casually.)

About him the court buzzed. Servants wearing the discarded castoffs of their betters carried trays of wine. Both they and the nobles they served were a motley troop. Some dressed in Castilian style – heavy tunics and close fitting hose – while others wore the lighter silks favored by the Moors. Despite the style, none could mistake it for anything but a Christian court. Women mingled freely with men, talking and laughing with them as equals. They were not imprisoned in a gilded cell, the way they would be in a Moorish town. Isabel approved of this. Yet Isabel frowned at how the women’s necklines plunged immodestly low (barely above the nipples would be more specific) and the way the queen’s ladies exaggerated the sway of their hips with each toss of their bell-shaped skirts. Good Christian women should be modest; yet modesty – like most virtues – was severely lacking at the Castilian court.

Beside (I'd use next to or behind since 'beside' can be misread) the king stood the only hint of sobriety, other than Isabel herself. For bending low over his arm was a dark robed figure, his black velvet coat glittering with heavy golden chains. (ooh, I like this.) It was Juan Pacheco, the Marquise of Villena. Isabel didn’t know what to think of him being there (I'd probably try to add an action verb instead of a verb of being. ...think, seeing him there.) . Several months ago, he’d led a rebellion against the king, (her brother) purportedly in support of her younger brother, their younger sibling Alfonso. If he (the Marquis) truly believed in Alfonso’s cause, he ought to be guiding him, not sitting next to her older brother with their heads bowed low together as though they were dear friends. Yet he’d returned and his appearance made the hairs on the back of Isabel’s neck bristle.

King Enrique patted the cushion beside him and told Isabel to sit. (emotional note, perhaps? Suppressing a grimace,) Isabel tucked her skirts about her and knelt where he'd gestured, her feet pressed beneath her thighs as though she were praying. Beside her, a woman whose breasts were hanging out of her bodice giggled. “You won’t be so modest soon!”

Isabel ignored her, while Enrique waved a servant over to pour Isabel a glass of wine. She let it sit untouched while Enrique took a generous drink of his own goblet. His cheeks were flushed with drink. He leaned back in his silken cushions and said, “I have news, little sister. Wonderful news! I’ve finally arranged a marriage for you!” (I think the marriage carries enough weight to eliminate the !! and the second sentence in the snatch.)

Isabel’s heart tried to escape her throat. (spend more time in her reaction here before the backstory. Another sentence or two of her response to the enormous news. Perhaps a sentence of who she knows it must be, and after failing to escape her throat, her heart now attempts to exit from the nethers of her gut.) Less than a year ago, she’d met the King of Portugal and she knew the subject of her engagement had been brought up during meetings she had not been privy to. She had not much liked the king. He was three times her age and already had a grown son. But to please her brother, she had flirted with him. Should she have behaved more coolly?

“How is that?” Isabel asked. She could see Villena out of the corner of her eye, and might have panicked that this would be her match, had she not known him happily wed. Unless something unfortunate had happened to his wife, she could not be given to him.

“Why, through marriage, of course. How else do women solve problems?” Enrique said. He laughed, and the court echoed him. (I am ready for the answer to the question--the patriarchy is in full swing so I don't need the extra coyness that comes with Enrique's misunderstanding here.)

Someone who can help me improve my work! Ideally someone who "gets" my vision for my novel and helps me find ways to improve it, from characterization issues, to continuity issues, to areas which might be confusing, to areas which drag or could use additional description/explanation. In particular with this novel, I think a sense as to where things are confusing would be very helpful (as I've spent so long researching that it's often hard for me to realize when what I'm writing wouldn't make sense to anyone else), a would notes on pacing. (What would not be helpful in this case would be a beta who wants me to make sweeping storyline changes - alas, since the major plot points all actually happened, it wouldn't make sense for me to do so. Although it is possible to omit certain events if they improve clarity.)
Hello Mutive.

I genuinely enjoyed this and love seeing historical women. They deserve their due, after all. I don't know if my thoughts above are useful or not, but in general this feels nicely developed, and yet I see areas that might (or well might not) be better served with a slightly different tempo/rhythm/modification of immersive moments.

See if you agree with any of my thoughts. I've not read the other critiques.

Last edited:

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
Awww, thanks Woolly! I've PMed you, but really appreciate your thoughts. I think you (and the other readers above) have found a number of things that could be improved upon and I appreciate the help!