Endings question.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I'd appreciate some input.

I'm wondering about the end of my current project, Aberrations. After writing the whole thing, I realize the MC's original goal is reached fairly early in the book and is built upon thereafter. At the end she gets something more than what she bargained for but feels she will be up to the task given time. Whaddya think? Sound like a dud?

P. S. The sequel starts three days after the end of Aberrations. Time has run out.

rhiannon_writes

✿✿✿
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to say without having read the manuscript, but I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with this approach. Just be careful not to allow too much lag between the original goal being achieved, and the MC discovering a new goal/motive/path/whatever. As a reader, I'd be confused if the MC achieved her goal on page 100, and didn't have a clear new one until page 180.

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished a book that was a real page turner, but had an ending similar to yours, somewhat unresolved, and for the same reason, to continue the story in another book. So I had mixed feelings about it. Still, it was an entertaining read and not a dud by any means.

I think it's fine to have goals change throughout the story, especially if each goal becomes more ambitious than the last.

Edited to add: Totally agree with rhiannon, you can't have a lag between goals.

Last edited:

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, folks. I feel a little better about it for now. I'll keep what you've said in mind as I trudge through the edits.