Decoding the Mysteries of an 150-Year-Old Recipe

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

“Did great-great-great grandfather Conrad Renzel leave behind any of his recipes?” my son Michael asked hopefully. I had just been telling Michael all about Conrad’s start as a penniless immigrant German baker in 1860s San Jose, California. I continued the story with how Conrad had worked hard, first as an itinerant baker selling his goods from a horse cart, then as a bakery and grocery store owner that had started the Renzel family on a path to prosperity. Michael himself is no slouch in the baking department and is always interested in trying new and different recipes. Baking up an antique confection that his 3X great grandfather Conrad might have sold off the back of his horse cart is squarely in Michael’s bakehouse. “Sadly, no,” I answered with a sigh. “Conrad did not leave behind any recipes that I know of.”

But I was mistaken…​

About two weeks later, I found the sheet. It was in an old folder my mom’s cousin Mary Renzel had given me about a decade ago, tucked between a handful of thin yellowed onionskin letters sent to Conrad, and their handwritten translations. The aged paper was blue and lined. On it, scrawled in pencil in faded German handwriting, was what looked like two recipes written in three sections. The paper was stained on the edges with what appeared to be dried batter. Batter stains are always a good sign. It means the recipe was well used and therefore worth making.

Could I bake this 150-year-old recipe?​

I thought to myself, “How cool would it be to bake up one of Conrad Renzel’s recipes, about 150 years later?” But first, I had to decipher it!

So I set to work to translate the recipe into modern English and modern cooking measurements. I confidently armed myself with my usual tools for such a translation – my German handwriting key, which showed me how old German letters were shaped, my iPhone Translate app, a year of college German taken 35 years ago, and the secure knowledge that there are only so many baking ingredients with sugar, butter, flour and eggs being the most common. My plan was to figure out one word at a time, letter-by-letter, using my German handwriting key, then put the word into the Translate app to get the English name or ingredient. This translation strategy was one that had worked for me before for simple German documents. Surely, this sparsely worded recipe would be a cakewalk to translate by this method too.

But it wasn’t as easy as that…​

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm desperate to know how the fruitcake came out.

Reactions: Introversion

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
There is a fun channel on YT, Tasting History. The guy cooks dishes from all over the world and all periods. It is very meat-heavy, but educational and fun. Last episode we watched was about a "pizza" from Pompeii. (The newest is about the oyster craze of New York.)

:troll
Oh yes, that is a fun channel!

DandyCat

Registered
Reaction score
There is a fun channel on YT, Tasting History. The guy cooks dishes from all over the world and all periods. It is very meat-heavy, but educational and fun. Last episode we watched was about a "pizza" from Pompeii. (The newest is about the oyster craze of New York.)

:troll
I absolutely adore this channel, yes!! Might I also add stuff from How To Cook That as she tackles lots of old, weird recipes and tries to use the same equipment and methods they would at the time!