Captain Coward "I fell into a lifeboat accidentally."(Sinking of Italian cruise ship CostaConcordia)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Probably because the one we were on before that somebody stepped on a life jacket strap after the drill and fell down a (short, thankfully) flight of stairs. ;)

:ROFL: Well that was just stoopid. Why not leave the sucker on? They had to take it back to the cabin anyway.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The tradition of the Captain going down with the ship isn't barbaric. It's because the Captain has to be the one in charge. He has to co-ordinate everything. Which is why he gets the big bucks and the glory. It's the same with pilots. They earn their money when it all goes to shit.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
The cruises I've been on have all had safety drills within an hour or two of leaving dock.
SOP for every line my wife has worked for.

People like to joke around during the drills, but they're important. Even moreso for the ships with thousands of passengers. Of course, those are also the ones with most morons...law of large numbers.

And in my mind, that means the best captains should be on the largest ships. But...they're not. The best captains are on the best ships, a very different thing.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
I am not very satisfied with the AW emoticon for "roll eyes." :rolleyes:

So here's my substitute emoticon:

Annoyed-Emoticon.gif

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-...o-schettino-says/story-fnbvduqy-1226248041712

I laughed hard when I read the thread title!

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
SOP for every line my wife has worked for.

People like to joke around during the drills, but they're important. Even moreso for the ships with thousands of passengers. Of course, those are also the ones with most morons...law of large numbers.

And in my mind, that means the best captains should be on the largest ships. But...they're not. The best captains are on the best ships, a very different thing.

I imagine that a least for a short time there might be less joking.

Unless it's something like, "In the event that the ship is sinking, you can be assured your captain will not be screaming like a little girl, wetting his pants and abandoning ship like a rat bastard."

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Two reports I heard on the news yesterday:

Instead of leaving, a violinist from the ship's band helped several scared, crying children into life vests and then into lifeboats. Another musician from the band gave up his seat on a lifeboat so a child could get on. Both these heroes are among the missing.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The cruises I've been on have all had safety drills within an hour or two of leaving dock. The last one was the first time we weren't required to bring our life jackets. Probably because the one we were on before that somebody stepped on a life jacket strap after the drill and fell down a (short, thankfully) flight of stairs. ;)

Yeah, the cruise I was on had safety drills too.

And really really awful invoyage movies!

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
A captain's job is to be in command of his ship. And that includes being in command if the ship is sinking.

My husband works for a marine assistance company. At its most basic level, the company is sort of like a road service, only out on the water in boats instead of on the road in tow trucks. However, they're also among those who answer radio calls for assistance in situations like this cruise ship grounding in Italy. We haven't had anything on such a scale, but in summer 2010 a small cruise vessel (with about 200 people on board) ran aground near the mouth of Boston Harbor, and our boats were among the first responders. My husband and his father, who owns our franchise of the company, have been following this story and giving me a commentary.

The captain on the Costa Concordia should have stayed on board. Then again, I've read that he was the one who chose to bring the ship that close to shore, allegedly so a member of the crew could wave to his family who lived on the island. (I don't have the link for that, but I'll hunt it down if anyone wants me to.) When the ship ran aground, he had a duty to stay on board until all passengers and crew were safe.

Instead, he abandoned ship and ignored or refused a number of direct orders from the Italian Coast Guard to get back on board. On a talk show yesterday (Dr. Phil, I think), they played recordings of those communications, including the Coast Guard commander finally losing his temper and saying, "I will make sure you get in trouble. I will make you pay for this. Now get back on the damn ship!"

And the captain still refused.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
There is no possible reason or accident for the captain to have left the ship. The best place to make assessments and judgements on the health of the ship and the safety of the passengers is right in the midst of it.

He is also culpable because he was the one who ordered the ship to leave the deep channels and come close to land, apparently as a favor to the head waiter. His actions after the crash were not panic, but guilt and flight.

I'm afraid that his "house arrest" won't be enough to save him from some Italian vigilantes.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, hell, say it already. The captain is a poor excuse for a human being who jumped off when he screwed up by bringing his ship in too close to shore and screamed like a frightened child--note I did not say "he screamed like a frightened girl" lest I be accused of being anything other than PC:D--and is now trying to weasel out of any responsibility.

I vote we make him tread water as punishment...as long as he's doing it in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean with a two hundred pound weight tied to his back.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
According to this article, a captain leaving the ship before passengers and crew is not internationally a criminal offense, nor would it be against the law in the US.

However, in Italy, if a captain abandons ship, it is a criminal offense punishable by up to two years in prison, and if there are deaths involved, the possible penalty goes up to eight years.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank God he wasn't in charge of a plane or he would've jumped midflight.