Because Erotica Readers Need More Twilight Fanfic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
Let me clear up things for you guys,

Why Meyer and her lawyers are not stopping this is beyond me, and you have wonder how idiotic they are any other author would have taken legal action by now.

Secondly, no, you CAN NOT publish Harry Potter fanfiction. J.K Rowling is not a fool like Meyer she has taken legal action against those who have tried to publish things using Harry Potter's copyright, look at R.J. Lippert and his series the James Potter series. Authors are revoking their permission of Fanfic because of this.

Those twilight fanfic authors need lawsuits slapped on them.

Maybe to clear something up for you...

I'm not sure you fully grasp what these stories being published are about. They are not at all taking Twilight, The Hunger Games, or whatever other book complete with world and characters to continue it. They aren't comparable to The James Potter series.

Apparently, the jury is out on if 50 shades is similar to Twilight, although it's not supernatural, isn't a story about Bella and Edward, and doesn't contain blocks of writing from Twilight.

As for others I've read, they are nothing at all like the story that inspired them. I have read a couple where I didn't read the fic version but knew they had come from fic and couldn't for the life of me see them as anything other than original works.

I find it impossible to believe that those books as published could be presented along with the book that provided inspiration and be seen to infringe on copyright. Something which hasn't been tested yet. However, the lack of action would suggest lawyers agree. At least with any currently on the market. I'm sure someone will try at some point to publish something so similar that it will infringe. When that happens, someone will take action on that book but any ruling will only be about infringement in that book.

I personally don't understand authors who take issue with an unrelated story with different characters which doesn't infringe on their copyright. I know I wouldn't, but it's up to each author to decide for themselves.

I would take issue if someone took one of my books and continued it. That is a completely different scenario(as with the one you've offered as an example). It is obviously infringement and in direct competition, possibly affecting sales.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Let me clear up things for you guys,

Oh, this will be good.

Why Meyer and her lawyers are not stopping this is beyond me, and you have wonder how idiotic they are any other author would have taken legal action by now.

Maybe if it's beyond you, then it might not be Meyer and her very expensive lawyers who are missing something.

Secondly, no, you CAN NOT publish Harry Potter fanfiction. J.K Rowling is not a fool like Meyer she has taken legal action against those who have tried to publish things using Harry Potter's copyright, look at R.J. Lippert and his series the James Potter series.

What about it? Last I heard, Rowling was fine with it. (Lippert has never tried to sell his James Potter books, though he has tried -- unsuccessfully -- to use his fan fiction fanbase to launch his writing career.)

Authors are revoking their permission of Fanfic because of this.

Cites? There have always been authors who refused to allow fan fiction of their work. I don't know of any who are changing their position because of 50SoG.

Those twilight fanfic authors need lawsuits slapped on them.

Why, exactly?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Some names to invoke: Lois Bujold, Cassandra Clare, Naomi Novik. There are a bunch of other writers who started in fan fiction and branched out to original works. In the cases of Anne McCaffrey, Marion Zimmer Bradley, and Mercedes Lackey, those authors locked down fanfic of their universes to specific situations funneled through approved fan sites. Bradley's 'Darkover' anthologies are still famous.

Yes, I'd take exception with someone actively trying to sell their specific Harry Potter or Twilight fic without changing the names, settings, and backgrounds enough to pass the legal tests.

Meyer's lawyers haven't had enough fodder yet to build cases against James or any of the other Twilight-inspired writers. Rest assured, if that changes the news will go out fast. I don't like standing with James (because I'm not happy about the technical quality of her writing), but I will defend her right to publish her own work, situations, and characters.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I read somewhere yesterday that James had slapped a lawsuit on someone who had written a book called "The Memoirs (Confessions? or something) of Christian Grey" and prevented it being published. Cheeky.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I read somewhere yesterday that James had slapped a lawsuit on someone who had written a book called "The Memoirs (Confessions? or something) of Christian Grey" and prevented it being published. Cheeky.

How is that cheeky? Christian Grey is her copyright. She didn't publish a book called 50 Shades of Edward Cullen.

I believe there is a 50 Shades fanfic being published. That is comparable to 50 Shades being inspired by twilight. Someone coming along and taking her character, who is not a sparkly vampire , is not. I suspect given merchandising there is a trade mark on the name Christian Grey to protect at this point too.

Whether you agree with 50 shades or like it is irreverent. James has a right to protect her copyright on CG, a millionaire dom, like anyone else. It's not cheeky at all.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I think you are talking about Casea Major's book Devil's Brand which the fanfic was pulled to publish the same way James did hers. It was originally a fanfic of 50 Shades with the serial numbers filed off.

Yes you can only find it cached now. She has erased it all from her site, her goodreads etc. Heard it was because of a C&D from EL James lawyers.

Seems like she doesn't want her fans to do the same thing she did.

http://www.dailydot.com/news/devils-brand-50-shades-grey-fanfic/

HeavilyMedicated

Registered
Reaction score
Scoot over. I'm gonna join you.

Room for one more? :(

I really don't understand why Stephanie Meyers' lawyers are allowing this to happen.

Has she commented? Maybe there have been enough changes that there aren't any grounds? I'm talking out of my butt, obviously.

I can't wait til some kid gets assigned one of these books in English class and grabs the wrong one in the bookstore.

Bwahahaha! :p

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I think you are talking about Casea Major's book Devil's Brand which the fanfic was pulled to publish the same way James did hers. It was originally a fanfic of 50 Shades with the serial numbers filed off.

Yes you can only find it cached now. She has erased it all from her site, her goodreads etc. Heard it was because of a C&D from EL James lawyers.

Seems like she doesn't want her fans to do the same thing she did.

http://www.dailydot.com/news/devils-brand-50-shades-grey-fanfic/

Heard a piece of gossip isn't the same as it happened. What's the source? Keeping in mind the fandom tend to fabricate when it comes to 50.

From what I know of that story, the character in it was closely tied to Christian Grey. There was no doubt it was the same character and that the book was clearly infringing on 50 shades and was being shopped to the same audience, ie erotica readers, so it wouldn't totally surprise me. There are too many people making too much money off 50 to let that slide. Although that doesn't mean EL James has double standards. Could be a contract thing since she hs said she is writing more Christian Grey herself.

On the other hand, Christian Grey is not Edward Cullen and 50 is not a YA book.

People are obiviously going to jump to c&d but there was only 9 chapters of that story posted before it was pulled. Maybe the writer never planned to publish at all, possibly a publicity stunt for her other books. This has gotten her talked about. Maybe it wasn't ready and she jumped the gun talking about it, not expecting the negative attention it bought. Maybe the negative attention alone was enough to put her off(which is what I heard). Speculation, as with the particulars of any C&D at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.