Ask Pam van Hylckama Vlieg:

Cale

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Pam,

Thanks for taking the time to do this! I had a blast reading through your answers and I found them really helpful. My question is:

Are male protagonists in YA hard to sell?

My MS is a fantasy adventure (similar to Shadow and Bone) set in Australia, and it is told from a first person male perspective. Would seeing that it has a male protagonist have an impact on your decision?

Thanks!

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Two Genres at Once

(Simplified, I hope making more sense)

Dear Pam,

Thanks for all the great info so far. My question is about writing in two genres at once.

My first suspense novel was published by a tiny indie last year. I'm working on the sequel but had major brain surgery and found that fiction difficult to write just now; nonfiction is easier on my brain. So my second book is a work of nonfiction.

Can an author write two distinct genres at once? Will the market accept a second book, completely different, and then accept a sequel to the first?

I apologize if this still sounds confusing,

Lucie

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I think people are always talking about the picture book market and to be honest it hasn't changed in a million years. You'll be fine if you have a great marketable book.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too, but it helps to hear it from an insider.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Pam, if you are still around, I've been hearing lately that "romantic suspense is dead" I'd be interested in what you think about that.
Also how important would you say it is it that a book is set somewhere like the USA in terms of saleability. Thank you.

Last edited:

Saija

Your source of questionable advice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wishyouwereawriter.blogspot.com
Hi Pam!

1) I have a question about querying a fantasy novel that has series potential. I know how to handle the query part, but although the book works as a stand alone, it has a few overarching plot lines intended to be continued/answered later in the series. It would be fairly easy to alter it slightly to tie everything up. So the question: is it okay to query as is and just mention if a full is requested that I can alter the ending slightly if it's sold/pitched as a standalone? Or is it better to tie everything up now and change it back if it's sold as a series?

2) I read your other answers about prologues, but I still have a question - what about a prologue that is a flash forward to events taking place near the end of the book (obviously without giving anything away)? Does that still fall into the category of overdone, boring, bad prologues?

3) Is it true that one should avoid sending queries during the winter holidays? If so, how soon is safe to query again? January 1st? :D (Patience is not my virtue)

Thanks for doing this!

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Pam, if you are still around, I've been hearing lately that "romantic suspense is dead" I'd be interested in what you think about that.
Also how important would you say it is it that a book is set somewhere like the USA in terms of saleability. Thank you.

Oh, I really, really hope that's not true! :cry:
Wouldn't mind to hear your take on it, Pam.