What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

auriel

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished DIVERGENT yesterday and LEGEND this morning. Catching up on my dystopian, haha. I liked both, but LEGEND's story stuck with me harder and had more page-turning tension and intrigue. DIVERGENT's story was interesting - I was able to overlook the unrealistic world-building for the sake of the plot - but I didn't like the protag too terribly much. LEGEND's dystopian society was more sinister and definitely felt more intense.

Anyway, both are good reads. Luckily I go back to work tomorrow, my book-bag is nearly empty. Best perk about working in a library = unlimited free books!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Finished THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER and is it just me or did it have the one of weirdest, unfinished endings ever? I kind of feel like the author ran out of space at some point and just wrapped things up as fast as she could, which resulted in some things just not making any sense at all and others left dangling for an obvious sequel. Kind of ended that one on a note of "Excuse me, what?" and not in a good way. Still enjoyed the book and will probably pick up the sequel, but I'm kind of ambivalent about it really.
I thought so, too, even though I loved the book and Noah in particular was one of my favorite YA characters in 2011. It was like an ending of a TV show episode in which the plot will be picked up next Sunday, not next year.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Just getting around to Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves. I love it so far, but it's also kind of long and I wonder if the momentum can be sustained. Right now it's carrying me on voice alone.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Just started Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev... I've had this sitting on my shelves for soooo long (bought it because I want to get the cover tattooed somewhere on me, it's so gorgeous), and I picked it up today and thought "I'll read a few pages." Half an hour later and I'm four chapters in. It's crazy good so far!

Which is awesome, because the other two books in the series are already out. So if I love this one I don't have to wait between sequels!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished THE BOOK OF WONDERS by Jasmine Richards, which is an MG fantasy and the first in a trilogy. The world building is based on the Arabian Nights, complete with wicked sultans, djinn and Sinbad! (And everyone loves Sinbad!). I really enjoyed it, it's fast paced, has solid world building and if you want more diversity in your fantasy, then this has got a solid non-white cast.

Have just started DEADLINE by Chris Crutcher, a new-to-me author who I understand is one of the most banned YA authors in the US. He was a keynote speaker at the SCBWI conference in NY this weekend gone and he was absolutely marvellous. The book's about a teenage boy in his last year of high school who discovers that he's only got a year to live and decides to make the most of it. The humour is great and the first person voice is really well executed.

MM

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Starting DEAD TO YOU by Lisa McMann. Just barely into it, but I like the prose, it's really clean.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
finally reading the perks of being a wallflower

read that when it came out, and a few times since. I loved it. I hope the movie stays true to it. It had a unique feel to it.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just finished ASHFALL. I loved it! Reading CATCHING JORDAN right now. I hate football, but enjoying the book.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
read that when it came out, and a few times since. I loved it. I hope the movie stays true to it. It had a unique feel to it.

I need to read this... they filmed most of it in my hometown :D cause apparently the author went to my high school <.<

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
Read the first part of THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS. Good worldbuilding and characterization, but it moved like a snail. Not sure if I want to read the rest.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't loving GEEK FANTASY NOVEL, and the wind and rain last night inspired me to look towards something more creepy, so I started THE IRON THORN last night.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't loving GEEK FANTASY NOVEL, and the wind and rain last night inspired me to look towards something more creepy, so I started THE IRON THORN last night.

Really enjoyed THE IR0N THORN. Lovecraftian steampunk fun. Hope you like it, Sage.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Just started Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev... I've had this sitting on my shelves for soooo long (bought it because I want to get the cover tattooed somewhere on me, it's so gorgeous), and I picked it up today and thought "I'll read a few pages." Half an hour later and I'm four chapters in. It's crazy good so far!

Which is awesome, because the other two books in the series are already out. So if I love this one I don't have to wait between sequels!
This caught my interest, so I went and started reading it, too (also had it in the stacks). I have a feeling the love triangle will not be resolved the way I want it to. >.<

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson right now which is amazingly good; also halfway through Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I just finished Anew (book one in the Archers of Avalon series) by Chelsea Fine, and it was amazing, and wow what a cliffhanger at the end. I can't wait for the next book!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
This caught my interest, so I went and started reading it, too (also had it in the stacks). I have a feeling the love triangle will not be resolved the way I want it to. >.<

Once you've read a bit of the first book, the cover of the sequel is a bit spoilery :( still gorgeous though!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
After giving a few things the big old stamp of DNF, moving on to Tempest by Julie Cross. Which, I guess is technically new adult since the MC's a college kid and it is St. Martin's.

I hope it lives up to the hype, 'cause right now I think I need a month off the YA train. Or I made the mistake of reading Cinder first and nothing else is living up to it for me. :(

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Once you've read a bit of the first book, the cover of the sequel is a bit spoilery :( still gorgeous though!
Ah, yes, spoilery in a good way for me. xd Though there is also the third book which can turn the tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.