Not open for further replies.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Yep. It only takes one "yes."

One of these days I will tell y'all more details about my sub process. Not now, but soon.

I love hearing stories about how someone found an agent/got a book deal. I know no two are alike, so I guess it just relaxes me knowing the playing field is wide open.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
What are you waiting for, Lisa? Are you afraid your publisher will still change their mind? ;) Maybe after the paperback, or your next two novels, or your National Book Award... Then you should be safe. Wait, you might need a Pulitzer first, or a Nobel to really be secure.

I just want to feel secure in a full-on (but naturally very polite!) "neener neener!"

RhiannonFrater

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rhiannonfrater.blogspot.com
My agent told me it only takes one "yes" the day she started pitching my book. I clung to that throughout the next few weeks of ups and downs. I'm so glad that Tor's mighty "yes" came in.

I think we must all console ourselves with the reality that books are published and first time writers are discovered all the time. Why can't that be us?

Last edited:

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
It was Stacey or Stephanie who loved Red Black and White! I think she had dark curly hair as well...she was my fave...lol :D
YOU'RE RIGHT ROMI! I can't remember what her name was exactly either but I'm pretty sure it was one of the two!

HAHA, it was Stephanie. And I loved that she was always on a diet and concerned about her weight and all. My favorite was Lauren. Go figure, even though I wasn't tall or a jock.

So now I just try not to think about it. And try to have faith that my agent knows what she's doing. It is comforting to remember that agents only make money if we do - she's not going to put HER paycheck on the line for a book that isn't "there" yet, right?

Nonetheless...think I"ll have one of those martinis. ::glug glug::

I was about to turn my phone off in church this morning and saw my agent had called. After I ran outside and peed myself to listen to the voicemail, she was just calling to say that she was sorry she didn't have any news, and she was sorry b/c it felt like she was letting me down.

Then she said she's never experienced what she's experiencing with pub houses right now. She used to them passing or moving to other readers or offering. From the way she talked, it was like what we had mentioned on the boards earlier about them refuses to get back as well as just sitting on mani's waiting on someone to offer.

So, even tho it's still with 2 of those first rounders, she went ahead and pitched to some more. Here's hoping something. Sheesh!

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
Kellion- I need the slap/pat machine now and then!

Other Lisa- whatever it is... we're happy for you!! :)

Trixie- it has been ALL OVER the news here. I feel so bad for the people who are stranded in airports.

Soul- that is a little discouraging :( I try not to look at those stats either, because I will dwell on them if I look into it too much.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
June, good luck with the new subs! Maybe one of the new houses will spur everyone into action. And thanks for sharing your agent's insight. Strange times...

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all!

Flying out tomorrow. Still have tons of packing to do. Aargh.

Soul, drink your martini and listen up: The 95% criterion is totally subjective. One editor sees near perfection where another sees massive structural rewrites. Your agent thinks your book is already "there."

This message is a service of the slap/pat machine. Carry on.

This. :)

I just want to feel secure in a full-on (but naturally very polite!) "neener neener!"

Haha! I TOTALLY understand what you're saying!

June, good luck with the new subs! Maybe one of the new houses will spur everyone into action. And thanks for sharing your agent's insight. Strange times...

Good luck to all the Hellions!

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
June, I wish it had've been a 'we got a deal' call, but I'm impressed your agent's so on the ball. Not many can boast a call from their agent just to say 'sorry no news'. And she even said she's sorry she feels she's letting you down? WOW she's a keeper!

RhiannonFrater

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rhiannonfrater.blogspot.com
Okay hellians, ready to be depressed?

Here are reasons an agent and an editor gave for why they passed on manuscripts in 2009

http://www.suvudu.com/2010/01/what-i-learned-this-week-why-i-say-no.html

http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2009/12/statistics-to-torture-yourself-with-in.html

What really made me want to cry was the editor saying a ms has to be 95% 'there' for them to be willing to take it on. No wonder there's so many rejections going around, who can live up to a level that freaking high?

*sigh* I was already depressed before with my sub, now I'm convinced it's never gonna sell *heads to kitchen to mix much needed martini*

Thank you for posting these links! I think they are very helpful. At least we can SEE what they might nix our work over. I'm posting these to my blog. Thanks!

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
I was about to turn my phone off in church this morning and saw my agent had called. After I ran outside and peed myself to listen to the voicemail, she was just calling to say that she was sorry she didn't have any news, and she was sorry b/c it felt like she was letting me down.
!

I so wish it would have been The Call and you could have squealed delightfully and everyone in church would be like, What the...!! Then when you walked back in all flushed with tears running down your cheeks. Oh, just the looks of concern. No one would be concentrating on the sermon that day!

Hi, all!

Flying out tomorrow. Still have tons of packing to do. Aargh.

Have a great trip, HC!

Oh, and Trixie, we're getting lots of news on the volcano here in Japan. I have a friend stuck in London. But she's so living it up, doing pub crawls and drinking all sorts of delicious ales. Also lots of sight seeing.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
June, I wish it had've been a 'we got a deal' call, but I'm impressed your agent's so on the ball. Not many can boast a call from their agent just to say 'sorry no news'. And she even said she's sorry she feels she's letting you down? WOW she's a keeper!

Yes, she is a keeper. I think she felt bad b/c she the last check-ins had been delayed with other business and then Bologna, and then they were unresponsive when she did check in. And she had wanted to get notes to me on Wednesday and hadn't been able to yet.

June,

Your agent sounds really nice! Calling you on a Sunday? Wow!

Hopefully you'll have good news soon.

Yes, she's really great about communicating, and she's actually called on Saturday evening, but I'd left my cell phone in the car, lol.

I so wish it would have been The Call and you could have squealed delightfully and everyone in church would be like, What the...!! Then when you walked back in all flushed with tears running down your cheeks. Oh, just the looks of concern. No one would be concentrating on the sermon that day!

HAHA, yeah, I got to an old timey church, so they would've thought I was just really into the service.

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
good luck june!

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
The rejections aren't bugging me too much. Well, they are, but not as much as I would think. What bugs me more is, you know, when you have several outstanding queries sent out. Then, probably somewhere in the middle of your waiting, one of the agents you queried makes post or an announcement something along the lines of "I just signed a new client today! My client list is pretty much full!" Which then slides MY query down a notch in my scale, the scale being: 1. Slim 2. Slim to none. 3. None. I start off at average on step 2. A request moves up to stage 1. An announcement like the one above down to stage 3. The things I do to stay sane. At least I have the end of semester crunch to keep me frustrated at something else.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, svart1ngr! What do you write?

Fantasy, currently. One's finished in a possible series (but each book is designed as a standalone) and is the one I'm sending the query rounds out for now, the second is about halfway. Then, there's a third project with about 10k words finished. I'm currently trying to decide between which one I want to finish... more.

I might branch to sci-fi, because I have a few ideas.

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
Svart- distractions are always a plus! Good luck with the rest of your subs.

June- I'd prob pee my pants if my agent called me on Sunday morning!! It was thoughtful to give you that insight, and at least you are pressing on and subbing to new houses. Good luck!

HC- where are you going? I thought you just went on vaca?

As for me, I THINK I'm about to go on sub...(I think). We are getting together a submission package and I'm getting nervous.

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
welcome svart!

good luck alanna!

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
welcome svart!

I am feeling good vibes for this coming week. Come on editors!!!! Let's make some sales!!

Mel A.

settling in with my red pen . . .
Registered
Reaction score
I always like to start a new week with positive, maybe-this-is-the-week thoughts, but I'm guessing that the London Book Fair will mean the chances of hearing anything are pretty slim this week. On the other hand, maybe good things happen when the agents and editors are together talking about volcanic clouds. Hmmm. Anybody out there who's lived through the London Book Fair week care to speculate?

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Mel - I think most US agents/editors are missing LBF because of the airline issue. But it could still slow things down I guess.

During Bologna, I only heard back from one editor, but it was also only three weeks into the process, so that could have something to do with it too.

Just as an aside, I went to the LBF a few years ago when I was getting a master's in Publishing...and it was INSANE. The exhibit hall was ridiculous (in a good way - lots of free stuff and pretty books!) and there were TONS of people. I bet this year it feels a little ghost town-y, since so many people won't be able to get there. It was crazy fun though. I'd love to go back someday....though I have to say, I preferred Bologna. A little smaller and ALL about kid's books, which is just fun. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.