Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverPhoenix

Revisions, revisions, revisions
Registered
Reaction score
Personally I think it would, unless it was only two characters present and indicated they were talking telepathically.

Lately, novels are beginning to go a bit further with the use of strange fonts or methods, like The Knife Of Never Letting Go. I think it works okay, but it is a bit distracting. I like good ol' italics.

by the way, Uncle Jim, any recommendations for good research material on Faeries? Seelie Courts and that sort of thing. I haven't found much net-wise. I remember the Faerie Queens featuring in one of your books - and being pretty nicely done.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Uncle Jim wrote, Will putting telepathic dialog in quotes confuse the reader?

In my particular case, no. There are only 2 or 3 conversants and they're all the same species all "speaking" in the same manner.

I think I originally wrote it that way years ago because it was supposed to be strange and exotic. Today, it just looks weird (and maybe a little stupid - not to mention the notion that it might upset readers or typesetters (or even agents and/or editors reading it initially - which would give them an excuse to reject).

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
Faerie
also n., pl. -ies.
  1. A tiny, mischievous, imaginary being; a fairy.
  2. The land or realm of the fairies.
Fairy
n., pl. -ies.
  1. A tiny imaginary being in human form, depicted as clever, mischievous, and possessing magical powers.
  2. Offensive Slang. Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man.
Source: Answers.com

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Magick is a spelling resuscitated by 20th century witches to distinguish from the magic of stage magicians. I'm not fond of the spelling myself, but that's what it's used for.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
by the way, Uncle Jim, any recommendations for good research material on Faeries? Seelie Courts and that sort of thing. I haven't found much net-wise. I remember the Faerie Queens featuring in one of your books - and being pretty nicely done.

Yes.

Facts On File
Encyclopedia of World Mythology and Legend

You should be able to find a copy in your local library.

After that, research. Go to libraries. Remember interlibrary loan. Keep your fantasy magic as strict as you would the tech in your science fiction. Everything happens for a purpose. Everything has a cost. Every advantage comes with a limitation.

For on-line sources:

Fairy and Folk Tales of the Irish Peasantry
Edited and Selected by W. B. Yeats

(Yes, that William Butler Yeats.)

I first ran into that book in the library when I was in grade school, and it made a big impression.

Also on-line:

Teutonic Mythology
by Jacob Grimm

(Yes, that Jacob Grimm.)

I ran into this one in college.

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
Magic
n.
  1. The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural.
    1. The practice of using charms, spells, or rituals to attempt to produce supernatural effects or control events in nature.
    2. The charms, spells, and rituals so used.
  2. The exercise of sleight of hand or conjuring for entertainment.
  3. A mysterious quality of enchantment: “For me the names of those men breathed the magic of the past” (Max Beerbohm).
adj.
  1. Of, relating to, or invoking the supernatural: “stubborn unlaid ghost/That breaks his magic chains at curfew time” (John Milton).
  2. Possessing distinctive qualities that produce unaccountable or baffling effects.
tr.v., -icked, -ick·ing, -ics. To produce or make by or as if by magic.

Magick

n. An action or effort undertaken because of a personal need to effect change, especially as associated with Wicca or Wiccan beliefs.
[Variant of MAGIC.]
magickal mag'ick·al adj.

Source: Answers.com

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
Magick is a spelling resuscitated by 20th century witches to distinguish from the magic of stage magicians. I'm not fond of the spelling myself, but that's what it's used for.
I kind of figured it was something in that vein. I am writing in a variety of genres now, but I doubt I'll be delving much into faries(faeries) and magic(magick) enough to need all this specific info, but one never knows:).

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Suppose the first arc is aaaaaaaaAAA (where AAA is the climax). And suppose the second arc is bbbbbbbBBB (where BBB is the climax).

The finished story with the surprise twist ending goes aaaaaaaabbbbbbbAAA.

Okay, so the bbb arc doesn't necessarily have a climax?

(Q. How many writers does it take to screw in a lightbulb? A. Two. One to screw it nearly all the way in, the the second to add the final surprising twist.)

LOL and thanks.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Reading one of Jim's books was, for me, an encapsulated lesson in everything he teaches. Truly, and not sucking up! :D I would've taken notes, but the action kept moving so darn fast I couldn't. :tongue

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Jim, I have a question.

I have a plot outline for my sequel nearly complete. With the outline I tried to make the plot EXCITING, and at one point I found myself looking for a cliff-hanger to end each chapter. I have quite a few, but not one for every chapter.

My Brother said the book might be formulaic, if it had a cliffy at the end of every chapter, and I think he is right. So what's the best policy on cliffys?

Blue Sky

Registered
Reaction score
Will putting telepathic dialog in quotes confuse the reader?

Yes as mentioned, in anything other than a simple exchange. In addition, when others are speaking, things get more confusing. I'll play with it.

Thanks.

motormind: There is a lot of cat waxing going on, at times, but I'm glad to have read the entire thread. I keep up on it, because it sits for awhile and then takes off.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
And when you have your own thread with your name as the header, well, I think you get where I'm going with that. Kudos to you for keeping it real, though. I get a laugh out of the "In it for the money" tagline every time;)

Status
Not open for further replies.