Does anyone here believe in fate?

Eskimo1990

is here :)
Registered
Reaction score
Or of signs that we are supposed to follow?

What do you believe causes them?

Reaction score
No.

Fate or signs* are contrary to free will and I know which I'd rather believe in.

*Excepting Signs, the movie with Joaquin Phoenix. ROWR! :e2brows:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Yes.
images

Follow the signs.

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com
Yes I do--in the sense--that we attract certain things we need in life. And sometimes there are signs--strange coincidences--and if we are open to seeing those--we have an easier time learning the things we need to know.

But fate is too final--I just think of them as part of the journey--which is guided by our will. And truely--sometimes there is no wrong or right choice--but just a choice.

Nice thread Esk:)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I sometimes get the impression that fate rules my life: that no matter how hard I try to succeed at something I will always ultimately fail, due to being born under a bad sign or something. If you were familiar with my history you'd understand where I'm coming from with this. Everything, and I do mean everything, always culminates in disaster for me, and if things are going good for a time that is only to get my hopes up so that the defeat will be more agonizing. I ain't glum about it, though. There's satisfaction to be had just in trying to beat the odds, even if you know you can't win...as I learnt from Roland's song :) Just gotta get me a Olifant horn to blow through and I'll be all set.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I guess I believe we make our own fate or karma. Though, sometimes bad stuff just seems to happen to good people for no reason. I suppose I believe life is filled with lessons and paths. If you keep screwing up a certain path, you'll have to repeat it. The people and places might have changed, but the same lesson is there.

Eskimo1990

Registered
Reaction score
Reason I ask is...there's this guy. I've known him for nearly two years now.
Recently we've been trying to see each other again. (he lives 2, sometimes 3 hours away depending on if he's at school) The last 4 or 5 times something has always happened that is something we can not avoid.
One time we planned a visit...he ended up having emergency surgery on his appendix.
Another time he got accused of stealing and had to turn in his key for his car so he couldn't leave campus. (The guy later found the stuff he had accused him a stealing)
The next, his work REFUSED to give him the time off even though he asked like a week in advance.
Today roads were bad.
And so we made plans for tomorrow.
Something serious happened with his sister tonight, most likely canceling our plans for tomorrow.

Now I'm wondering if this is a sign that me and him just aren't meant to do this. Sigh...

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I always figure if it's meant to happen, it'll happen.....no matter how much time is involved. Love works in mysterious ways. I hope it all works out for you.:)

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
To Ken:
Who we are is not defined by what happens to us--but what we do with what happens to us. Our adversities and challenges--create our essense more than pink fluffy happy things. I understand having more than what a body should have--in negative events. But by facing these things head on--we become stronger, braver, and wiser than we thought we could be. And i bet you are pretty amazing.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Recently we've been trying to see each other again. (he lives 2, sometimes 3 hours away depending on if he's at school) The last 4 or 5 times something has always happened that is something we can not avoid.
One time we planned a visit...he ended up having emergency surgery on his appendix.
Another time he got accused of stealing and had to turn in his key for his car so he couldn't leave campus. (The guy later found the stuff he had accused him a stealing)
The next, his work REFUSED to give him the time off even though he asked like a week in advance.
Today roads were bad.
Something serious happened with his sister tonight, most likely canceling our plans for tomorrow.

Now I'm wondering if this is a sign that me and him just aren't meant to do this. Sigh...

uh...this all looks like reasons why HE canceled. Did you verify any of this?

Sometimes it's not so much fate, as it is clues. I vote you find someone who doesn't have so many excuses, and would risk bad roads and burst appendixes to see you. :)

Eskimo1990

Registered
Reaction score
Well it all depends on him as I don't drive.

And I think I would rather have him in the hospital and NOT dead....

Same with bad roads. I would rather have him safe and at home then risking it to come visit me. ...but maybe that's just me.

Eskimo1990

Registered
Reaction score
Yes you would think. But me no car, no license, no money, and parents that are willing to drive me tend to make things difficult.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
To Ken:
Who we are is not defined by what happens to us--but what we do with what happens to us. Our adversities and challenges--create our essense more than pink fluffy happy things. I understand having more than what a body should have--in negative events. But by facing these things head on--we become stronger, braver, and wiser than we thought we could be. And i bet you are pretty amazing.

Very nicely said!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
you're 210% right, DL Hegel, about adversities and challenges making us what we are. It's ones labor that matters, not the fruits that may or may not arrive afterwards. Thanks for getting me to see that. I owe you one :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Of all those, this is the one that sounds most like a "story" to me. What kind of campus would have a student turn in a car key due to suspicion of stealing, or for any reason (other than maybe reckless driving, and for that they might demand he keep the car off campus, or even kick him out of school)? I've never heard of such a thing.
Today roads were bad.

In recent weeks someone in a post mentioned Randy Pausch - I'd heard of him and recall the news report when he died, but didn't know much about him, so I Googled him, found his webpage and read the transcript (pdf file linked to at the word "Transcript" on this page) of his famous "Last Lecture" here (it also has videos of the speech, but even with the bandwidrh available, I often prever reading transcripts especially printed out, so I can read at my speed rather than watching a video):
http://download.srv.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/

One of the things he says several times is "brick walls are to stop people who don't really want it" (whatever "it" is, something about achieving one's childhood dreams). I don't believe that, it's just another version of "fate," as if "brick walls" or stumbling blocks in life put themselves there intentionally. Sometimes such stumbling blocks ARE intentionally put in one's life by 'trolls' and other hurtful people, but otherwise I've found no reason to believe these things are anything other than random events with no purpose or meaning other than what some people read into them.

But his point is well taken that determination and perserverance are good qualities to have if we are to achieve anything non-trivial in life.
It's ones labor that matters, not the fruits that may or may not arrive afterwards. Thanks for getting me to see that. I owe you one :)
Communist.
I was thinking along those lines too. What was that line I heard last year, "We're gonna spread the fruits." ;)

Last edited:

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
How is believing in "fate" different from believing in, say, Santa Claus?

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
you're 210% right, DL Hegel, about adversities and challenges making us what we are. It's ones labor that matters, not the fruits that may or may not arrive afterwards. Thanks for getting me to see that. I owe you one :)

Communist.
do extra vowels confuse the ignore button?

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
I believe things happen for a reason. They were meant to happen as they did/how they did/when they did for whatever reason - even do we not see the how/why/reasoning. And I believe this is an indicator of fate working.

I believe Karma will knock you on your ass for a wrong and give back for a right - but not all the time. One cannot believe in such ("what goes around, comes around" or "they will get theirs someday") without believing a bit in fate (IMO).

One can FIND anything (good/bad) if they look hard enough and talk themselves into a resolution or result. Kinda like reading a horoscope at the end of the day and finding a way to make it "fit" your actual day. Or reading it before commencing your day and putting yourself in a situation that makes the prophacy seem truth. Or reading the examples in the OP and finding fault or excuse in the reasoning behind what the fella told when it may be totally honest. Just like THERE could ACTUALLY be deceit by the fella and one could explain it away for not wishing to see that something does not seem to make sense in his tellings.

People can create a situation they wish for or wish NOT to have, just with their own actions/reactions in a given instance - some of the time.

I believe free will can affect outcomes in some things, but I also believe that things are gonna (or not) happen sometimes, no matter the will of the one trying to evoke (or thwart) such happening.

Good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people (sometimes in spades too). That is luck of the draw - or fate in my opinion. Or it would not happen. Good would always gravitate to those who are good and bad would gravitate to those who are bad. Now, again, this is just my opinion. But, distribution of good and bad across the board seems more fated than it does reward or punishment for being or living a certain way.

YEAH. I believe in signs.

Bodies alert (in some cases, many more than people realize) to danger. Seen or unseen.

We get heebie-geebies for some things we hear/see and know are off without being able to put a finger on why.

We sometimes can ask ourselves a question and instantly an answer will come back to us in our minds. When we fail to listen to that voice, we sometimes find we should have.

So, yeah I believe in signs. I believe our intuition gives us signs. Most people just ignore intuition. Too busy, think it bunk, whatever.

I get signs. Mine come in the form of butterflies in my stomach/chest. The butterflies come and bring a message. They are a sign of something out of the ordinary to occur. Not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing. Just SOME thing. And, I can have them at a given time on a given day, call the person that popped into my head when I got them. And, they will tell me that something occurred at that time on that day (or close to it). Can be good or bad. But it is always something. And, it is not just that is when they went to the tinkle pot and copped a squat. It will be something. Sometimes I know it is bad, sometimes I know it is good. Sometimes I cannot tell.

But, I have an uncanny knack for predicting things. Sometimes it just pops out of me or into my head. Sometimes it comes if I think or concentrate on something. And, yeah, I am sometimes wrong. But, most often? I am right.

So, I do believe in signs. And I listen when I get one.

Christine