• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Salvatore Publishing

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
But (and this is a big BUT) WE WILL NOT BE ASKING THE AUTHOR FOR THE RIGHTS TO THE BOOK. That means the author can dump us at anytime and take his/her manuscript elsewhere if he or she is not happy.

*rasies hand*

Newbie with a question!!!!

If this is true, then how is the book considered "published" rather than simply "printed"? It sounds like there's no contract at all.

If you publish a book and then the author walks, will they be able to market the manuscript to another publisher (large or small) as a "new" book, or will it be considered a second edition?

How soon after such a walk out would you remove their book from your catalogue (list, whatever it's called)?

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
Well, in this case, benefit of the doubt means that the initial thread should not have been locked, should not have been moved when all questions could have been answered politely by me in the original thread, <snip>

But if you had checked the stickies in that other board, you would have seen this: This is now an announcement-only board, which means that just like pretty much every other job board, you cannot respond to threads started by a job poster. The only people who can now respond to threads are the moderators.

If you see a job posted here that you think is dishonest, scamming, or seedy in some way, PLEASE REPORT IT to Julia or Cathy (the mods of this board). They can delete threads, move them to the "Bewares Board," or post additional information where necessary.
(link to this sticky is http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42437

So the thread pretty much HAD to be moved and locked, since the rules prohibit this kind of discussion over there.

guy cousins

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cyia,
I think I'm very much the newbie here and I hope I'm welcome (gulp). Please don't be under the illusion that we are offering something that compares to a standard main street publisher. We cannot do that for several reasons (apart from the obvious). Firstly, if we were as grand as Random House then we would be the same as all the other big publishers - only interested in keeping shareholders and/or the banks happy. That means I would not be talking to you right now, and I would undoubtedly toss your ms in the bin (all due respect) without a second thought - unless I thought you would make me a fortune. I wouldn't be interested in your potential, or your style of writing - I would only want you if you were a money making machine. Hopefully, one day you will be just that, but until then....
Let me make this clear - I want my own work to be published by a mainstream publisher one day. Until that day comes I'm prepared to sweat all hours to sell what I've written. It took me two years for goodness sake - I can't toss it! I also happen to believe it's a half decent piece of work, but then I would wouldn't I?
Salvatore Publishing was originally designed as a vehicle to sell only our work but then along came some extra support in terms of finance and expertise and we felt we were able to expand it to help others. I agree that we need revisit our strategy, and maybe even calm our enthusiasm and replace it with a clearer vision - particularly how we sell overseas. But we do have people on our team who can format books for printing, we do have an artsit, we do have copy editors and proof readers... we just don't pay them ;) lol

I'm not really answering your question am I? Sorry. Look, I don't believe anybody should take over the copyright of your work unless they're prepared to stump up the cash and give you a reasonable advance. We can't do that. We simply need our resources to pay for marketing and (hopefully) a large supply of the books we want to sell. This is why I referred rather vaguely to our 'original' contract - the one drafted by our publisher friends. That contract asked for all the rights to your work and I disagreed with that. I'm not big enough to take on that responsibilty and Salvatore hasn't proved itself yet. Our business needs to prove it can produce good quality books and sell them. We're on track, but we have a long way to go.

I can see that we have upset a few people by declaring this venture, and inevitably prompted a few suspicious glances. That is to be expected. Funny, but being on a thread that has been shipped over to the 'beware of this man' section feels a bit like being in prison. I feel like a circus freak. Honestly, Cyia, I think we need to return when we can fully explain our business strategy to people, and the search for more investement will continue beyond what we already have. Believe it or not, there are people out there who think this is a noble cause and are prepared to throw some money at it, in return for advertizing space on the website I hasten to add.

I could offer you the acid test if you were really interested. If you really want to know what our mainstream books are all about then I could send you a copy of my novel free of charge. If you think the editing and formatting inside the book stinks then you can tell the whole world about it, and I'll be on everybody's 'naughty boy' list lol.

I think I answered your qustion.. didn't I?

Last edited:

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
Hi Guy Cousins, welcome to Absolute Write.

Just going by my limited experience, I have a few comments. The biggest problem IMO of not having a copyright is that there is no reason why the book cannot be plagiarized by someone else. By default, copyright belongs to the author, however if someone steals the book and distributes it an author would not be able to prove in court that the book is there creation UNLESS:

1) By default, the publishers have a copyright on the book.
2) The author would have to go to the US copyright office and pay to have it copyrighted (45.00 fee not including potentially hundreds of dollars for legal advice).

Wouldn't it be better to copyright the book, but allow a clause in the contract to permit the author to break the contract at any time, if that's what you want your sales pitch to be?

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
I can understand and appreciate your position, Guy, but you need to understand and appreciate the fact that frustrated writers make horrible publishers. The skill set that makes a person a good editor or a good business-person (which is what publishers are) is counter-intuitive to what makes a good writer. To what makes a salable writer. Self-publishing fiction is not in a writer's best interest, because the mass distribution channels are by and large closed to self-publishing. They are also by and large closed to POD models. And, by going one step beyond and seeking the manuscripts of others to publish as well only compounds your problems. Writers just like you will be expecting you to know more about the business than they do; they will be expecting you to be able to place the fruits of their hard work in bookstores nation wide. And this, despite all your good intentions, all your laudable enthusiasm, you've given no indication that you can do.

I don't consider Salvatore Publishing to be a scam outfit at all . . . I think you're sincere, that you want to help out other writers like yourself. But, unless you've worked in publishing -- preferably at a large house or distinguished small press -- then you haven't clue one as to what you're doing. The quote below cements this in my mind:

Firstly, if we were as grand as Random House then we would be the same as all the other big publishers - only interested in keeping shareholders and/or the banks happy. That means I would not be talking to you right now, and I would undoubtedly toss your ms in the bin (all due respect) without a second thought - unless I thought you would make me a fortune. I wouldn't be interested in your potential, or your style of writing - I would only want you if you were a money making machine. Hopefully, one day you will be just that, but until then....

I have two books and another two on the way with Random House/Transworld UK and let me tell you, they care very deeply about books, writers, AND about the business end of publishing. They and my US editor talk to me quite often regarding what types of things I'd like to write, problems I may be having with the work, and how I might maximize my potential. They've never balked because I've not made them a fortune. This is the part where bitter writer = bad publisher, because you're making assumptions based on feeling (possibly of rejection) rather than on how the business actually operates. Not every book is ready to be shown to the world; some will never be ready.

Can I offer a bit of wholly unsolicited advice? Your friend who is a publisher, have you approached him/her about taking on Salvatore Publishing as an imprint of their own house? This way, you could use your financing like a small budget, use their distribution channels, put out a couple of books a year, and get some real-world publishing experience before you go forth to tilt at the windmills.

In any event, I wish you the best with your endeavors. It takes a big brass pair to come here and stand before the firing squad of your own volition ;)

Best,

Scott

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I'm coming late to this thread, as I've had a busy day.

First off, no one at any point accused SP of being disreputable or dishonest. If I'd been online at the time, I'd have done exactly what Eraser did in transferring the thread--and, to be honest, I might have made a similar comment. However, having read Steve's posts, I do understand why he was so upset at the PA comment--and I think that's fair. That said, I don't think that anyone owes anyone an apology at this point.

Second, I want to thank Steve and Guy for keeping their cool under pressure--and everyone else for keeping things civil. There's sometimes a bit of a pile-on mentality in this forum, and while there's been some tough questioning and blunt responses, I haven't seen that in this case.

Third...I'm afraid that I share what seems to be the general opinion, that SP seems to be starting off with too little experience. I also have questions about what--based on Steve's and Guy's posts--appears to be its business model.

4. Of course we want to make a profit, but our goal will always be to provide a free service to writers. We only get our money back if we sell the books. To this end, we take 50% of the gross profit (the money paid to us after the printers' fees and retailers' fees are taken out). But (and this is a big BUT) WE WILL NOT BE ASKING THE AUTHOR FOR THE RIGHTS TO THE BOOK. That means the author can dump us at anytime and take his/her manuscript elsewhere if he or she is not happy.
A few comments. First, 50% sounds good--but "gross profit" should always raise a red flag for writers. Depending on what fees are deducted, it can reduce royalty rates to a pittance. Generally speaking, writers are better off with a straight percentage of list price, or even of net income.

Second--it's great that you seem to be allowing authors to terminate the relationship at will. But as has been pointed out, in order to publish, you MUST take rights--even if you only do so nonexclusively. I wonder if you're confusing rights with copyright? This is a common confusion, but it's not something you really want to see in a publisher.

5. The website is in embryo at the moment and some of the narrative may be vague or confusing to some. We will clarify some of the points that have been raised at a future date. In the meantime, I can say that although we do have a contract written out it still needs to be sanctioned by our sponsor.
It would be far more encouraging to publisher watchers like me if you'd resolved these issues prior to putting up your website and calling for submissions. You should work out the kinks before going live, not after. Going public before they're ready is a common mistake made by inexperienced publishers, and it can seriously handicap their future operation.

7. We are not a flashy company. We are a group of volunteers prepared to give our free time to help others (and of course, ourselves). Our aim is to build something of worth.
I'm a volunteer myself, and I admire the generosity of people who give their time to volunteer work. However, I don't think I'd want the staff at my publisher to be volunteers. What happens when things go wrong, when kids get sick, when there's overtime at the job? Passionate as you may be about your volunteer work, it will have to take a back seat at times. I'd prefer my publishers' staff to be paid--that way, I can be sure that publishing is always in the front seat.

9. So Salvatore will sell the author a batch of books at a discounted rate... what does that mean? I don't want to delude anybody into thinking you won't have to 'work' to get the ball rolling and get your book noticed. We can only do so much but we will be asking our authors to give their wholehearted efforts if they want to go beyond being 'just another POD book'. I sold 80 copies of my own book last week but not one copy through the internet. I had to 'work' to get those sales. I think the phrase is 'shoe leather.' Both our authors and ourselves will have to get off our backsides and sell. If that scares you off, then Salvatore really isn't right for you.
Again, kudos to you for being honest about your business model. But I'm being honest too when I say that this is not what real publishers do. Relying on your authors both as your principal consumers and your unpaid sales force shifts to them the burden of marketing that should belong to the publisher--thereby reducing the publisher's incentive to engage in marketing efforts itself--and the burden of buying that should belong to readers--reducing the publisher's need to market even further, since they know they can make money off their authors.

Once you get set up in a business model like this, it's very hard to get out of it. It's a safe business model, because while it won't enrich you (or your authors) it does let you scrape by. But to move on even to short run publishing requires a willingness to incur financial risk, and the longer you rely on your authors to cover your business bottom line, the more difficult it will be to make that financial leap.

Bottom line: a publisher should begin as it means to go on. If its goal is to engage in commercial-style publishing, that's what it should do from the start. What this means for writers: you need to take the publisher as it is, not as it says it's going to be. In other words, if it's POD/author-supported now, it very well may be in the future too.

11. Finally, the short story anthologies. These are designed with one thing in mind. To allow you guys to get your short stories into print. I'm sorry that we cannot pay for your work at present, but we do this in the spirit of fun and so far as group of friends... yes, friends.
That's great, if you're joining up with people who actually are your friends, and you all agree to do something together without thought of remuneration.

But once you start to call for submissions from people you don't know, you're moving into different territory. I know that many smaller publishers can't afford to pay advances or even per-word fees--but they can at least offer a share of royalties. It simply isn't professional to expect writers to give you their work for free. And again, despite what your website says about authors keeping their rights, it isn't possible to publish a story unless the writer grants you rights in some form.

I'm sorry, but I don't see any of this as promoting new writers--to me, it seems more like sidetracking them. I'll also reiterate something I often say (it's been said at least once already in this thread)--writers are well advised to adopt a "wait and see" approach with ANY new publisher. The rate of attrition among new publishers is high; not only does waiting a year or so give writers some assurance of stability, it makes it possible for them to evaluate the quality of the books, what kind of marketing is being done, and so on. Also, with less experienced publishers, the authors they publish first tend to serve as guinea pigs as they struggle to learn on the job. This can wind up being a pretty uncomfortable position.

Steve and Guy, I know it seems that the criticism that's been offered here is harsh. But at Absolute Write, and especially in this forum, we tend to look at things from the writer's perspective. It's not so much that we want to punch holes in new publishers; it's that we want to protect writers. I understand that from your perspective, it must feel much more like the former than the latter, but I hope you'll consider taking some of our comments on board.

- Victoria

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I'm not really answering your question am I? Sorry. Look, I don't believe anybody should take over the copyright of your work unless they're prepared to stump up the cash and give you a reasonable advance. We can't do that. We simply need our resources to pay for marketing and (hopefully) a large supply of the books we want to sell. This is why I referred rather vaguely to our 'original' contract - the one drafted by our publisher friends. That contract asked for all the rights to your work and I disagreed with that.

This suggests to me that I'm right--there is considerable confusion here about the difference between rights and copyright.

By law, copyright belongs to the author from the moment a work is fixed in tangible form (i.e, written down). No further action on the author's part--including registration--is required. (In fact, most countries don't have a formal registration process. The USA is one of the few exceptions.)

The possession of copyright is what makes it possible for an author to sell or grant rights in his or her work to a publisher. By granting rights, you do not surrender copyright (unless this is specifically demanded by the publisher). Nor do you surrender ownership of the rights you grant; you simply enter into an exclusive or nonexclusive contract that allows your publisher to exploit some or all of those rights for profit for a limited amount of time, and pay you a share of the proceeds. Once the work goes out of print (which in most cases happens within a few years), you can regain your rights and do something else with them.

The distinction between rights and copyright is an absolutely fundamental piece of knowledge for a publisher (and an author).

All-rights contracts are the default for larger publishers. It's expected that the author will negotiate with the publisher to keep some of those rights; others, the publisher will actively attempt to market. Smaller publishers should limit the rights they take to what they can realistically expect to exploit themselves or license to others. For instance, a smaller publisher with no connections to the film industry shouldn't demand film rights.

- Victoria

guy cousins

Registered
Reaction score
OK guys - thank you. There's even more to think about now, and for sure I really don't want to be a 'horrible publisher.' Truth is, my friends at the publishing house only publish 'coffee table' books - more pictures than words, you know the type of thing. But they are on hand to advise me.

Hmmm... I never realized I was in such esteemed company, and now you mention it I believe I have seen Scott's books in Waterstones. Okay, so maybe we need to rethink this. I'm not sure how best to approach this right now but I swear (and I know Steve is the same) I truly believe someone needs to invest in new writers. I'm not talking casual hobbyists, but writers who sit down and work on a novel for 12-18 months (sometimes more). I still want to pursue that, but it calls for a rethink how I'm gonna do it. Thanks for the sound advice.

But let me share something with you. Let me tell you about two of the writers who contributed to the Christmas book we put together. One guy works in a bar in South Carolina (big place I know, but I don't know which town). When we launched the Christmas book, the first thing he did was print off the cover and stuck it up behind the bar for all to see. People asked him about it. Immediately, one of his regular customers whipped out his laptop and ordered a copy there and then.
The writer - his name is Dave Lee - was obviously thrilled by this and he has told me several times how happy he is to be published, albeit in a simple anthology. But that customer didn't just buy Dave Lee's story, he bought about twenty others at the same time - all the other stories in the anthology of course.

A little later, across the pond in Lincolnshire, our sci/fi guy Andrew went into work and told his work colleagues about the book. He sold 16 copies in one hit! But what Andrew maybe doesn't realize (but I do), is that when Dave Lee back in Carolina hears that 16 strangers from another country are gonna read his story... well you can imagine. Those guys tell me that what we're doing is good news. So I have to proceed. I just need to rethink it.

Scott, I'm pleased that Random House support you. Forgive my own suspicions on this matter, and I'm glad I'm wrong. And thanks to everyone for the valuable information. So we may need to reign ourselves in a little and proceed with caution, but I know we can make a difference. I know we're heading along the right lines.... I guess the acid test is whether we can sell our own material.

Anyway, I can't make that decision right now, it requires a lot more thought. Thanks everyone.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK guys - thank you. There's even more to think about now, and for sure I really don't want to be a 'horrible publisher.'

...And thanks to everyone for the valuable information. So we may need to reign ourselves in a little and proceed with caution, but I know we can make a difference. I know we're heading along the right lines.... I guess the acid test is whether we can sell our own material.

Anyway, I can't make that decision right now, it requires a lot more thought. Thanks everyone.

I've just finished reading through the thread from the first post to last, and agree with many of the concerns voiced. I believe that you are sincere but inexperienced, rather than ill-intentioned. But I do feel the need to add one more suggestion, precisely because I do believe that you are well-intentioned.

Guy and Steve, if you haven't already you need to spend some serious time consulting a lawyer who is familiar with the copyright and contract law in the UK and US (maybe two different lawyers?). Before agreeing to take on anyone's work but your own, get some (more?) legal advice. Not just on copyright and rights, but on contracts and what obligations you are undertaking in soliciting and taking on others' work. And especially about what kinds of disclosures you need to make to avoid actionable misunderstandings with authors.

good luck.

~suki

guy cousins

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Suki,
You read the entire thread? That feat alone deserves a round of applause!
Sure, I think the message is coming across loud and clear and we're not going to ignore it. I understand all the concerns and there are probably many more that haven't even been voiced yet. We don't want to add to the growing list of POD publishers to be avoided, we want to prove to ourselves a legitamate alternative to new authors. We may have a bit of financial backing (yes, I've managed to impress a few people outside the industry), and of course our team of willing slaves, but we need more industry expertise. So that's the next challenge.
Believe it or not, I'm actually relieved Steve posted here. Better to come across this kind of scrutiny now, than later when we've invested all our money only to find ourselves being frowned upon.
I'm still convinced there's a raft of talent that is being ignored simply because publishers or agents don't believe they will sell. OK that's an imprtant consideration, but I think you know what I'm saying.
The last two (no three in fact) books that I have read have all been independently published through Print on Demand. I still think publishers play it safe and churn out too many paperbacks that are just the 'same old.' I can only speak for myself of course. The last decent book that I read off the shelf? The Book Thief. And that was 12 months ago.
Anyway, I think I'm veering off thread now. Of course any more advice and/or opinion is welcome. At least I think we understand each other a little better now.

Guy

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I'm still convinced there's a raft of talent that is being ignored simply because publishers or agents don't believe they will sell. OK that's an imprtant consideration, but I think you know what I'm saying.

Assuming that there is such a body of ignored talent, though, I'm not sure that it's a step up to print their short stories in an anthology without payment for them. Or even to POD-publish their manuscripts without advances and then expect them to do the bulk of the selling. There's something worse than not being published, and that's being published badly, because in the latter situation, you no longer have your rights of first publication.

I'm glad your friend was able to sell 16 copies of a book to his colleagues, and if tapping a pocket market is all that your writers want, that should be fine. Just be aware that every POD publisher out there (even PA!) can claim similar small success stories. Authors can often sell books to their co-workers or customers; the trick is selling the books to people who don't know you, or getting them on to bookshelves.

Anyway, it sounds as though you're taking people's comments and concerns into consideration, and that's great.

Skywriter

As a regular visitor to AW and several other writing forums, albeit not one who posts very often, I feel strongly enough about this issue to post my 2c worth here...

First of all, it seems odd to me that a discussion (well, one reply by a moderator) about a publisher on AW gets transferred to a board called Bewares & Background Check. The title of this board surely has negative connotations, and casual visitors are immediately likely to assume that the publisher concerned is under suspicion. I appreciate that regular members of AW may understand that companies discussed here are not automatically 'presumed guilty', but casual visitors (who may be referred by a search engine query, for example) might not know this.

I think Steve and Guy also have grounds for complaint in that the supposed policy of moving all discussions about any writing opportunity to this board is not being applied equally or fairly. Anyone can see by a quick visit to the writing opportunities boards that in some cases there have been 20 or more replies to a topic. Why have these not been moved to Bewares & Background Check as well?

Personally, I think that if AW is going to have a system like this, it should change the name of this board to 'Publisher Discussions' or something equally neutral and non-judgmental, and ensure that all responses to a publisher post are moved to this board, and not simply those that a moderator takes a dislike to.

Just my opinion, of course. I don't know Steve or Guy or their company and have no inclination to take up their service, but as a reasonably objective observer I feel that they have been treated less than fairly here.

guy cousins

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Skywriter,
Thank you for your words of support, and yes I was initially shocked by the immediate backlash, but then on reflection I do understand people's feelings - truly.

To be honest, apart from being booted into the dungeon while we await trial lol, most of the comments have been fair and relevent. I won't pretend I'm not a little bruised and Steve is no doubt tending his wounds right now - but I do accept there are obvious flaws that we need to address before launching a fully fledged publishing house, albeit a tiny one that initially relies on POD.

Some of the suggestions and comments are extremly useful, indeed I agree that our website needs some serious surgery. More importantly we need to work closely with people in the publishing industry who can help point us in the right direction. That level of expertese may not be easy to come by, indeed we may have to pay for such in-depth coaching and advice.

One thing for sure, when the time comes, I will not publish another authors book unless Salvatore has a proven track record and a decent distribution strategy as well as all the other elements of publishing that have been raised in discussion. This experience has caused us to seriously rethink how we roll this out and manage our businesss but has not deterred us. I know there will always be doubters out there, but people who tell me I can't do something, only inspire me to achieve.

I'm still sitting in my cell, but the sun is streaming through the bars in the window.:)

StevenJ

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.salvatorepublishing.com
What's done is done. While I thank the people who supported us in this thread, the constructive criticism we've received has been, if anything, more important.
Because of this criticism, we'll now rethink virtually every aspect of our business, so I also thank all those who've enlightened us.

We hope that, when we relaunch, we'll be in a much better position to help new writers in their prospective careers. :)

Steve

rostaria01

writer warrior
Registered
Reaction score
WE WILL NOT BE ASKING THE AUTHOR FOR THE RIGHTS TO THE BOOK. That means the author can dump us at anytime and take his/her manuscript elsewhere if he or she is not happy.

The problem with that, is if it has been "published" with you and then they walk you wont be able to publish it anywhere else. period, trust me, I am currently rewriting my book from scratch changing and stuff

also you dont offer an advance that for me raises eyebrows alone, no offence but I dont wont my book in your hands and I dont get an advance for it! dont attack me I am just being honest

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Thanks for being such a good sport, Steve (and Guy!)

I realize that it may have been a bit of a clusterbuck here for a few days, but there's been scores and scores of publishing companies set up by disgruntled authors (or wannabee authors) who figure that they'll somehow make it work. But like any other business, if you don't have a firm foundation and grasp of the business principles behind it, you'll not only fail but you'll end up dragging your authors down with you. Or you'll end up like so many other author mills; depending solely on your authors to make sales and then dealing with the fallout - there's plenty of those out there already; you don't need to add to the wreckage!

Can you make it work? Sure - there are plenty of small presses out there and many of them listed here that make a go of it. But you have to be so careful to NOT fall into the trap of thinking that running your own business is going to be easy because you're eager and full of energy.

Good luck and see you back soon!!!

ejket

Noobus Perpetuus
Registered
Reaction score
What's done is done. While I thank the people who supported us in this thread, the constructive criticism we've received has been, if anything, more important.
Even the comments that you don't see today as being constructive you may see as such in the full light of future experience.

Because of this criticism, we'll now rethink virtually every aspect of our business, so I also thank all those who've enlightened us.

We hope that, when we relaunch, we'll be in a much better position to help new writers in their prospective careers. :)
This sounds promising. Frankly I was concerned... you seem like nice guys, but you also seemed on the brink of making some painful mistakes.

Good luck, and don't rush it. Many (and I mean many) similar efforts have foundered on the shoals of inadequate distribution, so pay special attention to that: you can't just drop this on the shoulders of the author and be considered a desirable publisher.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
But you have to be so careful to NOT fall into the trap of thinking that running your own business is going to be easy because you're eager and full of energy.

Another concern I'd have with starting such a business and not knowing much about it is that an author who signs up because of the fun of seeing his work in print may become disillusioned later on by a lack of sales, lack of profits, etc. and may seek legal redress. If your contract doesn't cover that issue (e.g. making it clear that SP doesn't do marketing/distribution), this could be problematic for you.

StevenJ

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you for your comments, everyone. :)
They're all helpful, and you've raised good points which we hope to address in future, once we've taken advice from more experienced people than ourselves.

One thing I'd like to address now though: I've read so often recently that even major publishers rarely offer advances anymore, and then only because a book is viewed as a guaranteed 'hit' (if it's written by a celebrity or by the likes of Stephen King, for example); most of the time nowadays, publishers prefer to offer a percentage of sales - am I mistaken in this, though? I welcome any input you all have on this matter, as to the best of my knowledge, advances are a rarity these days, so I'm a bit surprised that some here believe SP, a small publisher, should offer advances as standard practise.

As I hinted, I'm not pushing my own point of view here, and welcome any insight you can give - I was simply under the impression that advances are a rarity, particularly in the current financial climate.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
One thing I'd like to address now though: I've read so often recently that even major publishers rarely offer advances anymore

That would mean that literary agents rarely get paid when they sell books. Somehow I don't think agents are so altruistic.

Check out the deals in Publisher's Lunch - advances are paid to debut authors more often than "rarely".

StevenJ

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That would mean that literary agents rarely get paid when they sell books. Somehow I don't think agents are so altruistic.

Check out the deals in Publisher's Lunch - advances are paid to debut authors more often than "rarely".

Are those particular publishers small concerns, like SP? Are those authors the beneficiaries of a bidding war between publishers? Or are the advances relatively small?

I'm not arguing, I'm simply seeking objective guidance.

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
One thing I'd like to address now though: I've read so often recently that even major publishers rarely offer advances anymore, and then only because a book is viewed as a guaranteed 'hit' (if it's written by a celebrity or by the likes of Stephen King, for example); most of the time nowadays, publishers prefer to offer a percentage of sales - am I mistaken in this, though? I welcome any input you all have on this matter, as to the best of my knowledge, advances are a rarity these days, so I'm a bit surprised that some here believe SP, a small publisher, should offer advances as standard practise.

I'm no celebrity and I've received an advance for every book I've written -- some small, others rather substantial. The notion that advances are no longer offered is a myth. In general, the smaller the publisher, the smaller the advance. If you get your distribution in order and offer a small advance, then follow up with perhaps a higher-than-average royalty rate, that will go a long way toward building a positive reputation. But, keep in mind: all of this is useless if your books cannot be picked up in the stores. Selling to friends and family might be a balm to the writer's ego, but the serious writers that Guy mentions up-thread are going to want something more. And, despite the rising tide of online sales, the lion's share of books are still purchased in brick-and-mortar stores.

You guys have a good attitude about this; I hope it survives ;)

Best,

Scott

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Are those particular publishers small concerns, like SP?

I thought we were discussing major publishers, since those are what you mentioned when you said "even major publishers rarely offer advances anymore".

But there are several small presses which offer advances as well. Micropresses or POD startups generally do not.

Are those authors the beneficiaries of a bidding war between publishers? Or are the advances relatively small?

Check out Publisher's Lunch Weekly; "major deal", "good deal", "nice deal" and "significant deal" all have different meanings when it comes to advance size.

Last edited:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I'd like to address now though: I've read so often recently that even major publishers rarely offer advances anymore, and then only because a book is viewed as a guaranteed 'hit' (if it's written by a celebrity or by the likes of Stephen King, for example); most of the time nowadays, publishers prefer to offer a percentage of sales - am I mistaken in this, though?

Can't speak for what many or most major publishers are doing, but I have contact with a lot of published authors and I don't know of a single author published by a large publisher who has NOT received an advance against sales and royalties structure. Advances and royalties still seems to be the norm for the larger publishers.

~suki