PDA

View Full Version : Prince Caspian

III
12-12-2007, 12:01 AM
The Prince Caspian trailer (http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0499448/trailers-me60638658)is out. The movie is coming out May 16th. Does it look too similar to tLtW&tW, or is that even a problem for anyone?

wyntermoon
12-12-2007, 12:11 AM
I loved that book as a child, I'm not sure I want to see the movie, however.

auntybug
12-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Honey buns...you know its book 2 in the series, no?

Akuma
12-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Honey buns...you know its book 2 in the series, no?

No, I get what he means.
It looks like the first movie: a bunch of animals and humans fighting on sunny, green grass.

Calla Lily
12-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Whoever's playing Caspian is kinda hot. He's probably jailbait. :(

Yes, it looks similar--no way to avoid it, I'm sure. Can a sequel survive without Georgie Henley's adorable yet non-cloying cuteness? She's just a regular-looking kid now.

My Aslan complain still stands. After reading the books as a kid, I just thought he'd be bigger. LOTS bigger.

rugcat
12-12-2007, 12:32 AM
I liked all the books, though my all time favorite is The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader.

But I didn't much care for movie version of Narnia. There is a certain magic in great children's books that's very hard to capture on film -- and I don't think they really try, because it's the battles and GGI effects that sell tickets.

I think the reason the Harry Potter movies are so successful is that they're basically adventure tales -- despite all the magic, they really don't have much magic in them, if you get my drift.

III
12-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Bug just wanted an excuse to call me honey buns :D. Yeah, Akuma that's what I meant. It looks so stylistically similar to the first one, it's kind of like "I already saw this, give me something new." Some movies like the Lord of the Rings can pull it off because they're so incredibly well done, but some series like The Matrix have a great visual first movie, but the other two just felt like re-hashed variations.

Personally I wasn't crazy about tLtW&tW. It was okay, but the makeup and special effects seemed hokie to me. The characters seemed pretty flat and the boys actually fighting in the battle seemed a little rediculous, although it worked well enough in the book. I'd like to think Caspian has something substantially new to offer, but if it's the same visual presentation with virtually the same cast and just a different story then I'm not really interested. I'll admit I haven't read any of the books in the series besides tLtW&tW.

ChunkyC
12-12-2007, 02:39 AM
My Aslan complain still stands. After reading the books as a kid, I just thought he'd be bigger. LOTS bigger.
*Small ;) spoiler alert*

But Aslan gets bigger as the books go along. By the last one, he's huge, yes. But, since he has to be noticeably physically larger in each subsequent film, if they started him out too large at the beginning he'd be the size of moby dick by the seventh film.

Calla Lily
12-12-2007, 03:30 AM
I don't remember that, Chunky. Great. Now I'll have to make time to reread the series.

*goes online to order a truckload of No-Doz*

ChunkyC
12-12-2007, 07:27 PM
:D

I finished reading the series about a month or so ago, so it was fresh in my mind. And of course, this is only valid if the people making the films actually do make Aslan bigger with each one.

III
12-12-2007, 07:28 PM
:D

I finished reading the series about a month or so ago, so it was fresh in my mind.

But did you become gradually larger as you read them?

childeroland
12-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Since 'Magician's Nephew' is the first in the chronology, it'll be interesting to see what they do with his size in that one.

ChunkyC
12-13-2007, 01:55 AM
But did you become gradually larger as you read them?
Judging by my waistline ... yes. :D

scarletpeaches
12-13-2007, 01:57 AM
Oh my giddy aunt, I love The Chronicles of Narnia. My favourite? Uh...either Magician's Nephew or LWW. I can't decide!

*moviedrools*

Esopha
12-13-2007, 02:07 AM
I'm excited.

Because I think William Moseley is adorable - and new guy playing Caspian isn't bad either.

And Aslan! Anything with Aslan in it is good with me. :D

Toothpaste
12-13-2007, 03:25 AM
I dunno. The first movie left me a bit cold. It lacked something. Nothing was outwardly wrong with it . . . Though James Mcavoy and the little girl were very good.

I'll still see it though.

Tony_LaRocca
12-16-2007, 08:14 AM
I was a Narnia fan as a kid, but I'm biding my time until The Silver Chair. (I love the Tom Baker version, cheesy as it is.) A billion Kudos to the Walden Group for making the movies in the ORIGINAL order and not the chronological order that they've been sadly published in for the last twenty years.