PDA

View Full Version : Genre problem....

ZannaPerry
09-28-2007, 08:04 AM
The thing is.......I am trying to write a romantic suspense novel. And I read a lot of them. Practically all I read. But the more I read them, the more they sound complicated to me to write. My current WIP I would like to call a romantic suspense because it has murder, mystery, love, suspense, and tragedy all in one.

Are all romantic suspense complicated, and have to have a complicated plot to go along with it? This current book I am reading is CRAZY complicated, and I'm understanding it all, but it's just like....wow.....that author is really talented. It's all about science, and technology, and all these big words, and twisting dialogue and scenes.

And then I think about mine.....it's simple, but does have a mystery to it. It's not complicated but it flows well with what I have so far. A woman trying to solve a murder all on her own while she tries to face obstacles constanting thrown in her path. Has to deal with finding a killer, maybe two, maybe three, and dealing with all sorts of characters just to find her answers. It has nothing to do with science, chemicals, important cop talk.

So, this has me questioning the genre....should I continue to write under the romantic suspense or just chose a contempory romance instead. . . . . . . ???? My story has nothing to do with conspiracies, or the end of the world. Just simple, mind-blowing problems my MC faces through out the story, doing it all alone until her own life is in danger.

Any help would be great!

Gillhoughly
09-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Write the kind of book that turns you on. It doesn't have to have complicated techno-babble unless you are comfortable using such a device.

My favorite romantic suspense stories were written by Mary Stewart and they still hold up extremely well. No techno-speak, just good characters and interesting storylines.

:)

Carmy
09-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Write your story and let an agent or publisher decide how to present it to readers.

I read mostly mysteries. Many have a romantic aspect and not all have complicated plots.

jodiodi
09-28-2007, 07:16 PM
I feel your pain. I'm writing a paranormal romance (I thought). However, it seems to be more of a paranormal/horror with a romance plot. I'm hoping to fix it, possibly, in editing.

Good luck.

ZannaPerry
09-29-2007, 02:31 AM
Thank you all, and good luck to you too, Jodiodi!